Tsukihime FAQ

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Tsukihime FAQ

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 24th, 2008, 8:15 am

1. What is Tsukihime? Is there an anime/manga version of it?
    Tsukihime is an 'eroge visual novel' for the PC. Eroge is the short form of 'erotic game', and the term 'visual novel' can be explained better by Wikipedia. Tsukihime was made by TYPE-MOON, the same people who did Fate/Stay Night.
    There is an anime and manga adaptation of the game (entitled Shingetsutan Tsukihime), with both following Arcueid's True Route (someone confirm this please) - both still contain elements of the other routes (of which there are five in total), but it is apparent which is the 'core' route. Please note that many 'die hard fans' will assert that there is no Tsukihime anime, simply because the anime adaptation is so appalling at capturing the essence of the original game. It would probably be better said that 'Shingetsutan Tsukihime' is not an adaptation of Tsukihime, but rather merely based upon the events that occur in the game.
    The five routes are split into two scenarios: Near-side of the moon and Far-side of the moon. The Near-side routes encompass both Arcueid's and Ciel's routes (both have a True and Good ending), while the Far-side routes encompass Akiha's, Hisui's and Kohaku's routes (Akiha has a True and Normal ending, Hisui has a True and Good, while Kohaku only has a True end). Please note that you can only progress to the Far-side routes after completing at least one of the Near-side endings (e.g., Arcueid True End), and Kohaku's ending cannot be reached without first completing Hisui's. The Tsukihime epilogue occurs after Kohaku's ending.

For further information, visit this page.

2. Is there an ero removing patch? On the other side of the coin, is there a censor removing patch?
    The ero removing patch is built into mirror moon's translation patch. During the translation patch installation process, you may choose whether or not to apply this ero removing patch as well.
    At this point in time, there is no censor removing patch.

3. Is there a voice patch like there is for F/SN?
    Sadly, there isn't. Perhaps this is due to the fact that no voiced version of Tsukihime was ever released (in F/SN's case, it was the PS2 port release which had voices). Perhaps the upcoming remake of Tsukihime will have voices, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

4. What do I need to play Tsukihime in English?
    You will need: the commercial game 'Tsukihime' for the PC and the English patch (found at http://mirrormoon.org/projects/tsukihime).
    Minimum system requirements are as follows: Windows9x/Me(Windows2000/XP), resolution of 640x480 (VGA) and capable of full color display (24-bit color), compatible Pentium-class CPU running at 200MHz or more, 32MB memory, a CD-ROM drive, sound card.

It is possible to run it on Linux, but that's not a 'frequently asked question'. I think.

5. Where can I buy the game?
    Sadly, it seems this game is rather old, and thus cannot be purchased at 'the usual places' (HimeyaShop and Paletweb). This is spite of the fact that it has been released twice: original release and subsequent re-release in the package 'Tsukibako' (which also contains the Fan-disc 'sequel' Kagetsu Tohya and Tsukihime Plus+Disc).
    Your only hope of finding this game is on auction. You can use an auctioning agent such as Akibado to buy something from Yahoo Japan Auctions. Here are YJA searches for Tsukibako (link) and Tsukihime (link).

One good news: there will be (yet another) re-release of this game sometime in the "near" future. So come back in a few months and see if I've updated this. :)

6. Which versions of the game does the patch work on?
    As of patch 1.1 and 1.2, both the original release and the Tsukibako version are compatible with the English patch.

7. How do I install this game?
    Insert the CD, cancel the installation process for the Japanese version. Run the English patch installer (version 1.1) that you downloaded earlier (you did, right?), and follow the instructions. It will at some point ask you to point it at the disc location - if the address box does not already point at your CD drive, do change it so that it does. Keep following the instructions, and you'll reach the end. :)
    Now, run the upgrade patch for 1.2 (there has not been a standalone release of 1.2, so you have to install 1.1 first then upgrade to 1.2).

Please note that the installer does not rip the background music to your computer. The readme that is installed along with the translation patch describes the process by which you may rip the music files to your computer so that you may experience Tsukihime in its entirety. If you have ripped the music and it is not playing, please do the following: open windows explorer -> tools -> folder options -> view -> uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types'. Once that has been applied, go to the CD folder which contains your music, and ensure that the files are named track#.ogg and not track#.ogg.ogg - that is, remove the extra .ogg.

You may need Applocale to play this game, unless you changed your whole computer's system locale to Japanese. Applocale may be downloaded from the Windows site, assuming you have a legit install of Windows XP. It can be installed on Vista as well.
    Once you have Applocale installed, run Applocale, browse to the Tsukihime executable, and when it comes to select the language, select the very last one in the drop down box. You may create a shortcut which automatically runs Tsukihime under Applocale, but you will probably want to look up the 'Applocale nag patch' if you plan on doing this.

8. Why doesn't the installer recognise my disc?
    I haven't heard of this occurring, but it may be due to any of the following: damaged disc, dummy-cut pirated disc/bootleg, or it's the wrong/fake disc.
    So if it's not damaged, and you've double checked it's 'Tsukihime' (and not Kagetsu Tohya or F/SN or Wind -a breath of heart-) we'll have to assume you don't possess a 'legitimate copy of Tsukihime'.

9. How do I play this game?
    I'll assume you've clicked 'start', and some text has shown up. Click the mouse within the window to advance, and another line of text will appear. To change the speed at which this text appears, check the readme. It's all in there.
    If you want to fast forward, press and hold down the CTRL button.
    You can save and load at any point in the game. Right click -> save/load.
    No, there is no auto-read.

10. How long will it take to play this game?
    It sorta depends on how much of it you intend to view. If you just want to reach all of the real ends and not really aim for all the BAD ENDS and alternative pathways to both the real and BAD ENDS, then it'll probably only take you 32 hours or so. This also depends on your reading speed. And how long you spend on the ero scenes.
    As for full completion, this'll take you a long time. A long, long time.

11. Where can I see the CG that I have cleared?
    Go to the main menu, go to 'Options', then to 'Graphic Mode'. It is sorted by heroine.

12. Ciel-sensei? Huh? What the hell?
    You just reached a BAD END, and Ciel-sensei's talk will point out just what exactly it was that you did wrong. Well, her or whoever she invites in to give that lesson's lecture. :)

13. Is there a savegame? And because I'm so looking for information about non-mirror moon projects, is there a Kagetsu Tohya savegame?

14. Is there a walkthrough?
    You get the choice to install the walkthrough and flowchart during the translation patch installation process. So if you wanted the walkthrough, you would've installed it then.

If you want to try another walkthrough, here's the link.

15. Is there a prequel? Sequel?
    There isn't a prequel, but the fan-discs Kagetsu Tohya and Tsukihime Plus-Disc (or Plus+Disc, depending on which release you got ;)) are considered 'extensions' to Tsukihime. Kagetsu Tohya and Plus+Disc have been translated. Please note that the initial release of the Plus-Disc (with the minus sign) contains less material than re-release Plus+Disc (with the plus sign), and it is the latter that has a translation patch.
    The KT patch can be found here - please note that version 0.5.2 is a complete translation, so don't mind the version number.
    The Plus+Disc translation patch can be found here.

16. Someone found out I was interested in Tsukihime, and asked me 'Curry + Ass = ???'. It's 'shit' right? Right?!
    Sorry. You'll understand when you play a Roa certain suppressing route.

Just to be clear, 'shit' is not the answer.
Last edited by AlinSabel on May 30th, 2009, 3:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Message » September 24th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Took the liberty to add YJA links to tsuki*. As for question 7, all cases of this I've seen turned out to be people trying to use the Kagetsu Tohya CD. They can't tell them apart for some obscure reason. Also, that last question is hardly faq-worthy if you ask me. >_>;;

Unread postby ayadew » September 24th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Message wrote: Also, that last question is hardly faq-worthy if you ask me. >_>;;

You clearly need to supress your inner Roa.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 24th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Thanks for the additions, Message.

I also edited question 7. :)

And... uh... I added the last question for levity. >_>;; It's sorta like the 'what is an imouto' question in the F/SN one. :P
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » September 25th, 2008, 2:09 am

Ah! A tsukihime FAQ! Good work on it!

The 6th question is kinda new to me (how to install the game). I don't remember ever using applocale when running Tsukihime, are you sure you aren't talking about Tsukihime plus+disk?

On the walkthrough question (13th), I think you should also add the one found in The Moonlit World, since that one seems (to me) more complete than the one provided with the patch installer. Besides, it doesn't hurt to add more info, I think.

Hahaha! I lol'd at the last one!
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 25th, 2008, 2:19 am

Changed wording on the Applocale bit.

Um... where is this other walkthrough? A quick browse through the site didn't yield a walkthrough... to my tired eyes... >_>;;
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » September 25th, 2008, 2:31 am

AlinSabel wrote:Changed wording on the Applocale bit.

Um... where is this other walkthrough? A quick browse through the site didn't yield a walkthrough... to my tired eyes... >_>;;

The link to the walthrough in the Moonlit World site:
http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~typemoon/tsukihi ... /index.htm
You may need to get some sleep if your eyes are tired or stop sitting in front of a monitor, you will only hurt your eyes if you don't take some time off in front of it.... I'm starting to talk like a parent.... why is the hell is that?
Anyway, on the applocale thingy, I don't remember ever changing the location of my PC to Japan in the "regional settings and whatever", but I do remember installing every asian language when installing XP (but I first played it in Vista and have no way of knowing if that thing came with every bit of asian languages)... Am I some kind of strange case?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 25th, 2008, 2:51 am

Hehe, yes dad! >D

*runs away*

Anyway, thanks for the link~

Well, I just checked my home computer... seems you don't need Applocale. Maybe a 1.2 thing? Dunno. I'll just leave it in, just in case. It's pertinent to TP+D, and quite possibly KT.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Sharm » September 25th, 2008, 6:45 am

Does Tsukihime have voices???
Sharm
Might just like this board

Unread postby abscess » September 25th, 2008, 6:51 am

Sharm wrote:Does Tsukihime have voices???

No. Only FSN, as far as I know, and that is if you install the voice patch, but that's another topic.
With luck the re-make will have voice-overs, but so far nothing has been said. But the short answer for this question is just a simple "no".
abscess

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 28th, 2008, 8:25 am

I am tempted to somehow work this following image into the last question.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Taiyou » November 28th, 2008, 10:10 pm

sry I dunno where to post this and i dont think its worth writing a new topic so I've got a question:
what does Tsuki-Bako mean? i only know that tsuki means moon , but bako? >.>
Taiyou
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby NonExistence » November 28th, 2008, 10:17 pm

the bako part means box. the tsuki-bako is basically a set with tsukihime, plus-disc, and kagetsu tohya. along with other things. it's sort of like buying all the books in a series in a set. except visual novel-y.
Whenever I go on, everyone leaves the Tsukihime forums. 'Cause I just fail like that.
NonExistence
Crack Addic!

Location: The Strong and Free Giant Block of Ice in the True North

Unread postby Taiyou » December 7th, 2008, 3:09 pm

ah ok thx .. hmm does anyone know which ending the manga follows?
yes it has the same title like the anime ,
but I heard that the game , anime & manga are different from each other?
or is it not completed yet (in Japan?)
Taiyou
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Mazyrian » December 7th, 2008, 6:55 pm

I think it's not finished yet, but it follows Arcueid's route; I guess it will be True Arcueid, like the anime, but it will have to wait for the finish to see.
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Taiyou » December 8th, 2008, 4:25 pm

sheesh I hate her true ending , generally that japanese ppl
prefer sad endings over the good ones -.-
anyways thx :D
Taiyou
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » February 8th, 2009, 2:22 am

I was bored and did a quick search in ebay. For those interested in Shingetsutan's music, there is this link
And for the infamous doujin that started a meme: That is why I assault Ren, it's in japanese, of course.

P.S: Supposedly, the items there aren't bootlegs. At least that's said in the description.
abscess

Re: Tsukihime FAQ

Unread postby immortallity12 » April 20th, 2011, 8:47 am

Hey can anyone please give me link to shingetsutan Tsukihime walkthrough, because I'm always stuck on the far side story and I could only get Akiha normal ending. I can't seem to get other alternative ending.
Also the link that was given from this website is broken, I can't seem to open the website, please anyone help me regarding this problem.

THX for all of your kind attention
immortallity12
Totally hardly posted

Re: Tsukihime FAQ

Unread postby Message » April 22nd, 2011, 6:25 am

Don't post the same question twice.

Return to Tsukihime Chat