Nrvnqsr and Nero...why didn't I realize this before?

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Nrvnqsr and Nero...why didn't I realize this before?

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 6th, 2008, 2:09 pm

I just realized why Nrvnqsr is referred to as "Nero". The Roman emperor and all that....
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Re: Nrvnqsr and Nero...why didn't I realize this before?

Unread postby Balcerzak » June 6th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Cat Megex wrote:I just realized why Nrvnqsr is referred to as "Nero". The Roman emperor and all that....

Yeah. I guess it's not necessarily obvious, but I've always mentally pronounced Nrvnqsr "Nero Caesar", myself.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Zarxs » June 7th, 2008, 2:28 pm

I just realized that the other day as well. I kept referring to him as just chaos because Nr-vn-qs-r always seemed to hard to pronounce.
I will create a utopia down here on earth. A peaceful and prosperous one. A sanctuary for those that are alive, and yet, in turmoil. I might not be able to accomplish this during my lifetime. But, the first step will have been taken by me. God will most likely approve of me deeds, and try to take me to heaven. And than, I will say to him, "I do not require the land above, nor your approval. Our utopia is down upon earth."
Zarxs
Might just like this board

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 7th, 2008, 2:40 pm

Zarxs wrote:I just realized that the other day as well. I kept referring to him as just chaos because Nr-vn-qs-r always seemed to hard to pronounce.

...I tend to pronounce it as "Ner-vin-kser" or "Ner-vink-ser". >_>
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kiraiya » June 7th, 2008, 4:32 pm

I always pronounced it as Nerve-in-square until my friend pointed out that it was pronounced Nero. Has something to do with latin or something...
"Onii-chan Ich Liebe Dich!!!!!!!!!!!!"-German lolies ; Accept no Substitutes...
Kiraiya
Crack Desu!

Unread postby md » June 7th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Kiraiya wrote:I always pronounced it as Nerve-in-square until my friend pointed out that it was pronounced Nero. Has something to do with latin or something...

OP wrote:I just realized why Nrvnqsr is referred to as "Nero". The Roman emperor and all that....

It's more about hebrew/japanese.
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 7th, 2008, 5:48 pm

md wrote:It's more about hebrew/japanese.

Hebrew and Greek, actually.
(From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_%28Bible%29)

Finally, the readers of Revelation were told to "calculate the number of the Beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six" (Rev. 13:18 ) Since the Book of Revelation was written to a first-century audience, sometime in late 64 AD, John did not expect that his readers "who had understanding" to have any difficulty identifying the beast, since they could simply calculate the meaning of this cryptogram. "Neron Kaisar" (the Greek rendering, documented by archaeological finds), when transliterated into Hebrew נרון קסר (Nrwn Qsr) had a number of 666. The variant number 616 found in some manuscripts of the Greek text of Revelation may represent the alternative Hebrew spelling נרו קסר (Nrw Qsr) based on the Latin form "Nero Caesar". The variant probably existed to keep consistent the meaning of Nero as the Beast.[4]

A little side note of my own: the reason the whole cryptography stuff works is because, in Hebrew, numbers are represented by letters of the Hebrew alphabet.
Last edited by Cat Megex on June 7th, 2008, 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » June 7th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Doesn't Tsukihime states that, with some numerology shit-stuff, if you sum the values of the numbers of the word Nrvnqsr you get 666? I remember that something like that had to do with Caligula or some character in the history of the Roman Empire when I first read this thread. Don't know if it actually has anything to do with Nero Caesar.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 7th, 2008, 6:52 pm

abscess wrote:Doesn't Tsukihime states that, with some numerology shit-stuff, if you sum the values of the numbers of the word Nrvnqsr you get 666? I remember that something like that had to do with Caligula or some character in the history of the Roman Empire when I first read this thread. Don't know if it actually has anything to do with Nero Caesar.

Read the quote in my previous post. *goes to unspoiler it, 'cause it isn't really long enough to need spoilering-for-space*
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby md » June 8th, 2008, 12:58 am

I said Japanese because their romanization of it is strange.
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 8th, 2008, 1:25 am

md wrote:I said Japanese because their romanization of it is strange.

Not really. If you know the Hebrew alphabet (as I do), then you know that there is no letter for "w". The letter used to represent the "w" consonant in "נרון קסר" and "נרו קסר" (note: Hebrew reads from right to left, so the letter is "ו") is called vav, and has a "v" sound. Not only that, if you're reading Hebrew with vowels, and a dot is added on top of a vav, it becomes a vowel; specifically, "o" (however, most casual/everyday Hebrew lacks vowels, which is why the transliteration is still "v" rather than "o", even though it's pronounced "Nero" rather than "Nerv"). So the Wikipedia entry actually has an incorrect transliteration. More proper transliterations of the two versions would be "Nrvn Qsr" and "Nrv Qsr". From "Nrvn Qsr", it's a short trip to "Nrvnqsr"; you just remove a space and change the "Q" to a "q".
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby md » June 8th, 2008, 1:45 am

Huh. I just guessed it should've been written 'nrqsr', I don't know hebrew beyond pretty much what you'd pick up in an Indiana Jones movie.
md
Crack Addic!

Return to Tsukihime Chat