Taming things

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

Taming things

Unread postby coldness » July 5th, 2008, 11:01 pm

What monsters are able to be tamed? Can the vase, painting, and tea set be tamed in Benjamin's house?
coldness
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 5th, 2008, 11:04 pm

They can't ^^ Just try it and it says they cannot be friends if they can't be tamed, everything else can. All non-boss monsters can be tamed, and even a few mobs in boss encounters - and if not, you can tame most of them as normal mobs later.

Also, the more damage the monster has taken, the easier it is to tame them. If you can get them within 1 hit of death it usually works on the first try.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby coldness » July 5th, 2008, 11:05 pm

The thing is, the vase doesn't say its not able to be tamed.
coldness
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 5th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Really? My bad then, I haven't been thorough enough. I'm sure I tried on some of the items in that encounter but maybe not all of them. If that's not a glitch then it should be tameable o_O. Try to get it really low on hp.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Multi » July 6th, 2008, 10:34 am

I'm making a list myself.

Here's what I've done so far, I'll update as I go along.

Slime: undead
squeek: human
ghost: animal
skeleton: human
p-slime: human
pumpkin: human
pochi: undead
specter: undead
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 6th, 2008, 10:38 am

The interesting part about that list is that it proves my suspicion that you can tame with a 'wrong' skill as well: for instance I've always tamed squeek and all the slimes with 'tame' (animal). I'd guess the right one just gives you a better chance to succeed. With some mobs it's pretty hard to tell what category they'd fall into anyway so that's a good thing I suppose.

Not excessively useful info but here's a relatively complete tame list to help the collector in need, excluding monsters from the Old Castle because I couldn't save after that on Mena route (where I was taming all mobs I came across); it's possible on later routes so if someone tames them feel free to add, as well as others I may have missed.

Thing (tame)
Ghostarmor (comfort)
PaleRider (comfort)
Skeleton (comfort)
Spartoi (comfort)
Slime (tame)
P-slime (tame)
S-slime (tame)
Squeak (tame)
Sylph (scold)
Gnome (scold)
Undine (scold)
Shade (scold)
Mandrake (tame)
Nightshade (tame)
Alraune (tame)
Pumpkin (tame)
Rotpumpkin (tame) (group heal, quite useful)
Pochi (tame)
Blanca (tame)
Lobo (tame)
Golem (scold)
Titan (scold)
Ghost (comfort)
Specter (comfort)
Wraith (comfort)
Bat (tame) (8 force aoe attack, quite useful)
Vampire (comfort) (12 force aoe attack)
ElderGoras (tame)
Godzilla (tame)
ElderKing (immune, automatical tame)
ElderQueen (immune, automatical tame)
Wivern (tame)
Harpy (scold)
Brigid (scold)
Fatsparrow (have from start)
Penpen (tame)
Lamia (scold)
Last edited by Phlebas on July 6th, 2008, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Multi » July 6th, 2008, 10:43 am

i guess. I kept thinking why the hell can i not tame the damn monsters with what it seemed like it should correlate to, but then after like 10 failures, i decided to just cycle through the taming skills and first try, and then on for that specific mob, the 'wrong' tame would work right away. I think lowering hp becomes more important as you progress through the game though.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 6th, 2008, 10:52 am

Yeah I was also struggling a lot on my first time, but after some experimenting I became 100% certain the enemy hp is the key to taming them - when I got the mobs to 10-20hp from death the tames worked at least 90% of the time, while using the skill I know to work on them at full hp usually gave a miss. It helps when there's at least 2 of them so you see how much damage they take when you kill one, then you can use suitable party members to bring down their health.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby fayzai » July 7th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Phlebas, in your list, "Thing" refers to the black slime, right? I remember trying tame on them and it told me I could not become friends with them. I only tried on one of them, so maybe I just have bad luck and I could actually tame the others?
fayzai
Might just like this board

Unread postby Phlebas » July 7th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Yeah that's the same, as I mentioned several "boss" monsters can be tamed later, I think you can run into it in a few places including the latter part of the sewers.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby fayzai » July 7th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Ohh I see. I only saw it once in my first time through so I figured that it would be the same for the rest of my times through. It makes sense now that you mention it.

I didn't enter the mouse hole and pull the lever in the first time through so

I didn't explore the entire sewer area. I'll be sure to look out for it later. Thanks =)
fayzai

Unread postby Akures » July 7th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I also made a tame list on my first playthrough. Its just a rough one about what areas you can find the Monsters first.
(B) meens you can only find them in a unique battle, like boss battles.

Sewers:
Slime - Animal

Storage Room:
Squeak - Animal

Forest:
Gost - Undead
Skeleton - Undead
Specter(B) - Undead

Academy:
no new ones

Bath:
P-Slime - Animal

Southern Forest:
Pochi - Animal
Pumpkin - Undead

Benjamins House:
no new ones

Graveyard:
Spartoi - Undead(or Human?)
Mandrake - Animal(or Human?)
Rotten Pumpkin(B) - Undead
Bat(B) - Animal
Vampire(B) - Undead
Shade(B) - Undead(?)
Jake(B) - Undead(?)
Pale Rider(B) - Human

Cave:
Gnome - Human(or Animal?)
Undine - Human
Wyvern - Animal
Ghost Armor - Human

Forest (finding Hanna):
Blanka - Animal(?)

Rescue Benjamin:
Sylph - Human
Harpy - Human

Monster Den:
Elder Gorath - Animal
Gozilla - Animal
Titan - Human

Fat Sparrow Paradise:
Penpen - Animal

Castle:
Lamia - Human
Golem - Human
Salamander - Human
General - Human
Medusa - Human
Dragon - Animal
Brigid - Human

Training/Taiming Grounds:

Forest:
Alraune - Human(?)
Lobo - Animal
S-Slime - Animal

Graveyard:
Nightshade - Human(?)

Sewers:
BigSqueak - Animal
EleSqueak - Animal

In my 2nd playthrough i will try to find out some more details like exact HPs.
Akures
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Comazon » July 7th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Here's a (hopefully complete) list of the tameable monsters in the game:
http://yokohama.cool.ne.jp/shisnap/game ... ork2_m.htm
(again, it's in Japanese and you have to set your browser's character encoding to Japanese)

The columns go in this order (from left to right): Name, Location, Ideal method of capture, Ability (once captured), Element, Force Cost

Assuming this list is complete (and I believe it is), the haunted silverware cannot be tamed. :(

There are also 49 monsters in all.

Also, the walkthrough supports 2 things Phlebas said:
1) HP does matter (the weaker the better)
2) You can capture creatures using any kind of method (I can also verify this as I have been using nothing but tame and never used scold or comfort yet >>')

I'll probably translate the whole walkthrough later this week in case anyone wants it.
Comazon

Unread postby fayzai » July 7th, 2008, 5:18 pm

@Comazon: That would be awesome =) My japanese reading skills are pretty limited and it would've taken me LONGER to understand the walkthrough than if I just played it through myself XD
fayzai

Yo

Unread postby Vandermillion » July 19th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Scold or Comfort only increases the chance but tame may still work regardless. So if you're unsure what type of monster they are, just use tame.
Vandermillion
Totally hardly posted

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat