A good Gamepad/Controller...Analog sticks or D-pad?

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

A good Gamepad/Controller...Analog sticks or D-pad?

Unread postby shenny » August 14th, 2007, 1:49 am

does anyone know of a good gamepad/controller to buy for the PC? i thought a PS2 style controller might be best, but do the analog sticks even work for Melty Blood? or is a D-pad more useful? if you can post exact model names that would help too
Last edited by shenny on August 16th, 2007, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
shenny
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby mir » August 14th, 2007, 2:18 am

Fat thumbs and hating the blisters, so I got an arcade stick. Hori fighting sticks are ok for the money you pay (50 bucks). I'd suggest fighting stick 2 and get a usb converter from gamestop or something
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby marus » August 14th, 2007, 3:51 am

Second that, my favorite is arcade stick. Though between d-pad and analog I would prefer a d-pad. It's mostly personal preference, and most controllers today have both so you can switch between the two. I usually just hook up my ps2 controller with a converter, but if you don't want to go that route, then pretty much any controller from logitech or saitek is good (and probably better for this, the d-pad on the ps2 controller sucks for fighting games).
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby puKKa » August 15th, 2007, 10:32 pm

keyboard <3
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby Ciel » August 15th, 2007, 11:14 pm

While I'm slowly getting used to a logitech dual action pad, I agree, keyboard rules for fighting games as long as they don't require more than 2/3 buttons pressed at once. It's so much easier to input commands with a keyboard than a pad it's not funny.
Last edited by Ciel on August 16th, 2007, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby miszou » August 16th, 2007, 1:01 am

AC sticks play the best imo, easier to use th analog stick for movement and the buttons are easier to hit, it just feels so more nice :3. The cheapest thing to use the same equipemtent as arcade machines is the hori real arcade pro (1,2 or 3 for each of the Playstations) you can convert it to usb. It has Sanwa stick and hori buttons that you can easily and cheaply replace for sanwa buttons. The SE even comes with sanwa buttons, but it is more expensive then putting buttons in yourself.

Its about 70 dollar or something, but the shipping costs may be high due to the weight, so I would recommend buying it if a store near you has it :3 I can tell you that this stick has almost the same feeling as the AC machine, which plays pretty nice, although everybody has his own favorite ofcourse ^^ The hori fighting stick is a cheaper alternative if you don't care about AC feeling :3

But I guess you have to try the both at least to see what is best for you, doesn't feel the same for everyone ^^
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby mir » August 16th, 2007, 1:28 am

HRAP is great but there are availability problems. The PS2-compatible versions are always sold out, which leads to some nutty prices. The last HRAP I saw on ebay (note, it wasn't hrap2) went for 150$ shipped for a used one. HRAP3's are in stock but are not compatible with PS2 so people shy away from them.

That said, I'm getting the hrap3 sa because i want stuff to be a bit more sensitive than the HFS2 (a bit more room for my hand is also a plus) and this one actually has all-sanwa parts :D

HFS3 is having driver issues with PC, I wouldn't recommend getting it.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raw » August 16th, 2007, 3:35 am

I pretty much like the Xbox 360 controller, cheap and easiest to find, it isn't the most appropiate for fighting games, but hell, you can use it for many more things. I would recommend you download the XBCD360 drivers if you get one.
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby marus » August 16th, 2007, 5:14 am

mir wrote:The last HRAP I saw on ebay (note, it wasn't hrap2) went for 150$ shipped for a used one.

Yeesh, if you're going to spend that much on a stick you might as well order a custom.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby mir » August 16th, 2007, 5:43 am

marus wrote:
mir wrote:The last HRAP I saw on ebay (note, it wasn't hrap2) went for 150$ shipped for a used one.

Yeesh, if you're going to spend that much on a stick you might as well order a custom.

Ugh, I'd rather build one myself than pay some dude. Sure, it won't have the custom artwork (weeeeeeee), but it will have a real PCB and not one hacked off a PSX controller. Wiring the joysticks is for the most part a joke.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby miszou » August 16th, 2007, 9:49 am

its always nutty prices here outside asia with those things :( If you went to Japan or Hong Kong you can still get it very cheap in stores. Unlike ebay users they usually have pretty fair prices for these stuff there.

Are the driver problems for HRAP 3 serious problems? I was thinking of getting that one, for my pc, the design is slightly better then 2, but it sucks that is is for ps3 :(
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby shenny » August 16th, 2007, 10:40 am

does HRAP3 have a USB connection? or do you need to buy a converter for it too? I prefer gamepads to joysticks, but maybe I should give in
the Hori gamepad looks sweet too...way better than the logitech one or the regular ps2 one. wish there was an american company that made good ones so I didn't have to pay like 100 bucks for it though
shenny
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby mir » August 16th, 2007, 2:33 pm

miszou wrote:its always nutty prices here outside asia with those things :( If you went to Japan or Hong Kong you can still get it very cheap in stores. Unlike ebay users they usually have pretty fair prices for these stuff there.

Are the driver problems for HRAP 3 serious problems? I was thinking of getting that one, for my pc, the design is slightly better then 2, but it sucks that is is for ps3 :(

Yeah prices are ridiculous, but there's nothing I can do about it

HRAP3 is plug and play, no drivers needed as it is recognized by windows. Oh and HRAP has one important advantage over the PS2-compatible ones: it is in stock :D

shenny wrote:does HRAP3 have a USB connection? or do you need to buy a converter for it too? I prefer gamepads to joysticks, but maybe I should give in
the Hori gamepad looks sweet too...way better than the logitech one or the regular ps2 one. wish there was an american company that made good ones so I didn't have to pay like 100 bucks for it though

HRAP3 is a PS3 device, meaning it is indeed USB. So no, you don't need a converter whatsoever. People are discouraged from buying that particular stick because it does NOT work with Playstation2. If you're ok with that, then no problem.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Eriol-kun » August 19th, 2007, 10:41 pm

puKKa wrote:keyboard <3

Amen.
Eriol-kun
Crack Addic!

Unread postby KotR5191 » August 27th, 2007, 8:39 pm

So a USB 360 controller is confirmed to have worked? If so, I guess I need to buy one of those.
KotR5191
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Raw » August 27th, 2007, 9:08 pm

Every Xbox 360, from the day it was released, it's officially compatible with Windows. I suggest you download XBCD+ driver package for it, because the official drivers treat the triggers as an analog input, not buttons.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

HRAP3 - prices & pc?

Unread postby BettiePage » August 27th, 2007, 10:32 pm

I bought on online for under a 100 shipped... I thought it was a good deal.

It was for my PS3 for when I get a fighter game for it one day...

But since it's a USB connection I thought it might work on my PC as well.

Do I need any drivers or set up the buttons?

Btw the HRAP3 might not work with the PS2 but should work with PS2 games running on the PS3 due to the home button that the HRAP3 has.
BettiePage
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Master gamer » August 31st, 2007, 10:15 am

Well im using my logitech rumble gamepad is it called 2?

Anyway never tried with the keyboard
Master gamer
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Eriol-kun » September 1st, 2007, 9:19 pm

Master gamer wrote:Anyway never tried with the keyboard

I dunno. I feel more comfortable looking at a PC while using a keyboard, so I play all (if any) fighting games with the keyboard. I have no money for an LCD HDTV to plug in my PC so that has to do.
Eriol-kun
Crack Addic!

Return to Melty Blood Chat