Melty Blood Re Act online play

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Melty Blood Re Act online play

Unread postby Uh Oh Yoh » June 15th, 2007, 11:11 am

I had a couple questions regarding the online play I keep reading about.

- Is it only for Melty blood? Not Re act?
- What is hamachi and how does hamachi work?
- There was a patch for something else in another thread: http://www.revolve-trans.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=257 does this work now still?
- Is it laggy?

Thanks in advance.
Uh Oh Yoh
Totally hardly posted

Re: Melty Blood Re Act online play

Unread postby puKKa » June 15th, 2007, 1:40 pm

Uh Oh Yoh wrote:I had a couple questions regarding the online play I keep reading about.

- Is it only for Melty blood? Not Re act?
- What is hamachi and how does hamachi work?
- There was a patch for something else in another thread: http://www.revolve-trans.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=257 does this work now still?
- Is it laggy?

Thanks in advance.

- It's for ReAct, and only the latest release of ReAct.
- hamachi is a program that makes a LAN for poeple connected on the internet by using different rooms. http://www.hamachi.cc/download/
http://thesrm.net/forums/index.php?topic=170.0 <--room list.
- I dunno about that patch, but you can use this, it's the one everyone uses: http://fh2.org/mbr/MBR_NET_B7V2_Release.zip
- The lag depends on your conenction to the opponent. 0-16ms is almost full fps. Over 100ms is pretty much unplayable.
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby Uh Oh Yoh » June 15th, 2007, 8:09 pm

Eh, I'm still kind of confused. Do I need both? Or is Hamachi just to find the other users IP?
Uh Oh Yoh
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby mir » June 15th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Hamachi simulates a lan. People using hamachi are assigned some internal IP that is different than their real one. You can use this internal ip as a handle and connect to it as if the other guy was on your lan. That said, you do not need hamachi to do netplay. People mostly use it because it's convenient, you don't necessarily have to know the other guy's ip address (I'm not sure if tcpdump would shoot off the fake ip or real one...haven't tried. Though I assume there are ways to figure it out....so don't go disabling firewalls and such), and you can message/send files around.

About netplay itself...it is a really really bad teacher. Input lag sucks, and if get used to compensating for said latency...then you get destroyed live. And the lag will be there unless you're relatively close to the other player, in which case you're better off driving 20-30miles and playing them live. IF you really want to try it, you'll need ReACT 2.501b and the appropriate netplay patch. You do not need hamachi but it's easier to keep track of who's online and willing to play because you may or may not have other guy's IM.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby zoop » June 16th, 2007, 12:30 am

As long as both you and your opponent have good, high quality (not necessarily fast) internet connections you can generally get a good match going. I personally have had matches at 55fps - which I consider to be just fine - with people several states away from me and 60fps with those that are in states adjacent to mine (Oregon).

High latency and any amount of packet loss will render the game unplayable and useless.
zoop
Might just like this board

Unread postby Qaenyin Angelblade » June 16th, 2007, 1:34 am

zoop wrote:As long as both you and your opponent have good, high quality (not necessarily fast) internet connections you can generally get a good match going. I personally have had matches at 55fps - which I consider to be just fine - with people several states away from me and 60fps with those that are in states adjacent to mine (Oregon).

High latency and any amount of packet loss will render the game unplayable and useless.

woah woah woah, hold on a sec. You're in oregon?

So am I. We should meet up and play some Act Cadenza sometime(I have the game and a PS2 capable of running it ^_^)
Qaenyin Angelblade
Addict

Unread postby Uh Oh Yoh » June 16th, 2007, 2:36 am

Gah, god dam it XD. I was kind of hoping that I could play this without any lag. Although it does sadden me, I suppose I'll just play a couple of my friends in cali. Anyone in cali?

Also, if hamachi is just a virtual lan program, its just basically an easier instant messenger with displayed ip addresses? Or by creating a virtual lan will it reduce the lag to simulate the lan's "being close"?

Sorry for all the noob questions, just I have no idea how any of this really works. Every explaination people give me just makes me a bit more confused.

Also this: ReACT 2.501b, do I need to patch my re act for that? Does it come with final atuned? Or do I need to download something someones made to make it work?

Aka: IT WORKS LIKE THIS! but why?
Uh Oh Yoh
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby mir » June 16th, 2007, 3:44 am

Hamachi does nothing to lag. People like it because they can share folders and message people on the channel that may not wish to disclose their instant messenger handles.

In a nutshell here's how it works.

1) you need react 2.501b. Check your version at the start of the game. it should say it in the bottom left corner when you look at the "press any key..." If you don't have it, get it.

2) get the netplay tool linked previously

3) find someone who wants to play with you. Decide who's host and who's connecting. If you are the host, then you should give the other guy either your IP address or your hamachi address if both of you are using hamachi. Make sure you're not filtering the ports needed for netplay

4) start the netplay. follow the directions >.>

etc etc.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Uh Oh Yoh » June 16th, 2007, 5:39 am

Thanks so much man XD. I think I understand this now. If you wanna play me sometime lemme know. My aim is Uh Oh Yoh message me with an address and we can play. Man I can't wait to play this with some of my friends.

Thanks again
-Yoh
Uh Oh Yoh
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby mir » June 16th, 2007, 9:42 am

I prefer live, though there doesn't appear to be many players up here in norcal =/
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Eriol-kun » June 16th, 2007, 4:56 pm

lol well who doesn't: live you don't have to worry about having good ping or anything.

But for someone like me that lives in Panama, there's no other choice.
Eriol-kun
Crack Addic!

ReAct online

Unread postby ShinsoPrincess » July 24th, 2007, 1:06 am

Ive been looking for a community of people to play for a while now, was wondering if anyone here wanted to play me over Hamachi, im in NY, just no one over seas though, my FPS would probably be at 10, lol
ShinsoPrincess
Totally hardly posted

Re: ReAct online

Unread postby mir » July 24th, 2007, 3:38 am

ShinsoPrincess wrote:Ive been looking for a community of people to play for a while now, was wondering if anyone here wanted to play me over Hamachi, im in NY, just no one over seas though, my FPS would probably be at 10, lol

I know there's quite a few NY locals that play mbac, I'd suggest you get with them for some live play =)
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby zeldaevolution » January 21st, 2008, 7:18 pm

Now, everyone seems to be telling truth about lags...
So, I created one here at Philippines, Caloocan, are any Filipinos there that can play with me??

net and pass is "mbph" without the quotes
Things won't get better if you kept in them to yourself... or...
Thing won't be better too much if you're saying it and people won't listen to you... even though you have no lies...
zeldaevolution
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Superflonic » January 23rd, 2008, 7:02 pm

Wait, you need the newest version of ReAct? that's 2.501b, right?

Also, can you do something about it, if you have a different version?
I mean, it's a bit unfair, even if the online play sucks a little bit.

And does the offline gameplay differ from the different versions?
Like bugs, etc...
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Return to Melty Blood Chat