Melty Blood Typo/Grammar mistake Report [v1.5]

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Melty Blood Typo/Grammar mistake Report [v1.5]

Unread postby TheXev » April 28th, 2007, 5:58 pm

This will follow the same guidelines set by Ryuusoul and Message for Tsukihime.

NOTE - Before you post a textual error, search this thread to see if it hasn't already been reported.

NOTE - Only report errors ONCE. Do NOT discuss other people's reports, nor our decision on whether or not to fix something.


This is a report thread for all the typos and grammar mistakes you may find in MeltyBlood English.

Please state:
- The scene (Day and route may help)
- The mistake (what's wrong)
- Sentences around it
- Possible correction
- The version of MeltyBlood English



Current version: 1.5 [2007-04-28]
User avatar
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy
 
Posts: 494
Joined: February 10th, 2004, 2:17 am
Location: Corry PA, USA

Unread postby lvlln » May 1st, 2007, 7:00 am

Copypaste from Beast's Lair forums:

I found a typo on day 2, after beating Sion (the top box in the second area.

"It drinks and drinks.
Filled to the brim, the blood leaks from it's eyes.
It is not enough."

The "it's" on the second line should be "its."

In the section after that, when Sion is thinking 3 threads in a row, in the center one, there is one sentence with the word "earth," when it should be capitalized, "Earth." Unless it meant earth, as in dirt, but the context seemed to be of the other one.

Later on in that same frame, there's the phrase, "guessing what it's primary something is." Again, the "it's" should be "its."
lvlln
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 6
Joined: May 1st, 2007, 6:58 am

Unread postby Ryuusoul » May 1st, 2007, 9:10 am

lvlln wrote:Copypaste from Beast's Lair forums:

I found a typo on day 2, after beating Sion (the top box in the second area.

"It drinks and drinks.
Filled to the brim, the blood leaks from it's eyes.
It is not enough."

The "it's" on the second line should be "its."


Fixed. Thank you.

lvlln wrote:In the section after that, when Sion is thinking 3 threads in a row, in the center one, there is one sentence with the word "earth," when it should be capitalized, "Earth." Unless it meant earth, as in dirt, but the context seemed to be of the other one.

Later on in that same frame, there's the phrase, "guessing what it's primary something is." Again, the "it's" should be "its."


ArchDemon: You're going to have to get these ones. First one is BG66, second one is BG68. <-- Fixed.
User avatar
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy
 
Posts: 318
Joined: September 5th, 2004, 3:05 am

Unread postby ArchDemon » May 2nd, 2007, 10:34 am

There was an error in the walkthough where Block K was mistakenly called Block L, and vice versa. Please read http://mirrormoon.org/news/2007-05-02-m ... walkthough for more information.

ArchDemon
User avatar
ArchDemon
Executive Director
 
Posts: 343
Joined: August 18th, 2006, 7:47 am

Unread postby Ephyon » May 2nd, 2007, 7:29 pm

This might be a matter of choosing terminology, but... In one of the final scenes in Night on the Blood Liar, right after Arcueid summons the Crimson Moon and transforms Walachia, he says something along the lines of

"Time Travel is on* the order of Sorcery"

I?m pretty sure he?s talking about Mahou here, which most people translate as Magic (Sorcery being normally used for Majustsu), so I was wondering if this was a mistake or just a different choice in terminology.

*Not sure about this one, might have been "within the order" as well... either way, I think it?s the only instance in the script where "Time Travel" is mentioned, so it shouldn?t be hard to find with just that much.
User avatar
Ephyon
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 56
Joined: January 24th, 2007, 10:14 pm
Location: Argentina

Unread postby Ellume » May 2nd, 2007, 8:09 pm

As far as I know Maho stands for blood magic, often with a negative or evil feeling attached. But I am a total newb when it comes to Japanese.

EDIT: Now that I think about it may just be the context I'm seeing it in.
User avatar
Ellume
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 58
Joined: May 1st, 2007, 2:01 pm
Location: Canada

Unread postby AyaReiko » May 3rd, 2007, 8:36 am

A minor typo...

In the credits, Akiha's VA is listed as Hitomi. When her name is written in roman letters, the "H" is supposed to be lower-case.

Source: ANN, hitomi's Official Website
User avatar
AyaReiko
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 10
Joined: November 6th, 2006, 12:02 am
Location: Len's lap

Unread postby Ryuusoul » May 3rd, 2007, 10:34 am

Ephyon wrote:This might be a matter of choosing terminology, but... In one of the final scenes in Night on the Blood Liar, right after Arcueid summons the Crimson Moon and transforms Walachia, he says something along the lines of

"Time Travel is on* the order of Sorcery"

I?m pretty sure he?s talking about Mahou here, which most people translate as Magic (Sorcery being normally used for Majustsu), so I was wondering if this was a mistake or just a different choice in terminology.

*Not sure about this one, might have been "within the order" as well... either way, I think it?s the only instance in the script where "Time Travel" is mentioned, so it shouldn?t be hard to find with just that much.


There were several reasons why we decided to call majutsu "magic". For that matter, the terms are usually interchangeable (mahou/majutsu) and the sorcery appellation to majutsu was more of a fan thing started by EvoSpace's website (and early fan translation, me being a part of that as well). The distinction Nasu makes is a distinction Nasu makes... it's all his.

That being said, we chose magic because majutsu is used as an adjective in many places where sorcery would just sound awkward. Furthermore, it fits the description better (i.e. Magic Circuit, the majutsushi in Fate/Stay Night are called magi, etc.).

With regards to Mahou, we decided on sorcery. Wizardry, another option, is not as versatile a word, nor does it allow for gender assignment (I'm not calling Aoko a wizard...). Depending who you talk to, sorcery is innate magic while magic is learned. Others say magic is innate and sorcery is learned. It doesn't matter. These are the terms we're using.

These terms are standardized throughout our translations of Tsukihime, Melty Blood, and Fate/Stay Night.

"On the order" is used appropriately here.
Last edited by Ryuusoul on May 5th, 2007, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy
 
Posts: 318
Joined: September 5th, 2004, 3:05 am

Unread postby AyaReiko » May 3rd, 2007, 9:03 pm

AyaReiko wrote:A minor typo...

In the credits, Akiha's VA is listed as Hitomi. When her name is written in roman letters, the "H" is supposed to be lower-case.

Source: ANN, hitomi's Official Website


Nevermind, I've found out more. "hitomi" and "Hitomi" are two different people.

hitomi is a J-Pop singer.
Hitomi is the voice actress who plays Akiha in MB.

So the use of "Hitomi" is correct.
User avatar
AyaReiko
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 10
Joined: November 6th, 2006, 12:02 am
Location: Len's lap

Unread postby Multi » May 5th, 2007, 7:59 am

After defeating Walachia in the Night ON THE BLOOD LIAR path,

"??? ....... Uh, I don't really get it, but whatever. Moving on, Sion, are okay with talking to Arcueid? I think she'd be willing to listen to you right now"

The sentence "Moving on, Sion, are okay with talking to Arcueid?" seems odd. I don't know what it's should be though but it seems like a "you" and a "not" is missing. "Moving on, Sion, are [you] okay with [not] talking to Arcueid?" Although the not can be omited and still have the same meaning if it doesn't exist there originally.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs
 
Posts: 26
Joined: April 30th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Unread postby Ryuusoul » May 5th, 2007, 8:29 am

Multi wrote:After defeating Walachia in the Night ON THE BLOOD LIAR path,

"??? ....... Uh, I don't really get it, but whatever. Moving on, Sion, are okay with talking to Arcueid? I think she'd be willing to listen to you right now"

The sentence "Moving on, Sion, are okay with talking to Arcueid?" seems odd. I don't know what it's should be though but it seems like a "you" and a "not" is missing. "Moving on, Sion, are [you] okay with [not] talking to Arcueid?"


Fixed. The literal translation didn't include "not", but I think it is what he is hinting at. I've reworded it.
User avatar
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy
 
Posts: 318
Joined: September 5th, 2004, 3:05 am

Unread postby lvlln » May 6th, 2007, 3:12 am

In the opening of the 3rd-from-the-top ending (M), Sion says,

"At the very least, I cannot bathe in sunlight.
Before it made me weak, but I at least could stand it.
Now-sunlight is instant death."

The correction is between "before" and "it" in the 2nd line; there needs to be a comma in between:

"Before, it made me weak, ..."

The phrase "before it made me weak" with no comma would refer to the time period before it used to make her weak.
lvlln
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 6
Joined: May 1st, 2007, 6:58 am

Unread postby night » May 7th, 2007, 5:17 pm

"I have no intention of currying favor with the Magi Association, but you are an existence which must be punished"
lmao xD
i know she likes curry, so is this a typo or intended?
it's from Block E, Route 4

edit: pic removed
Last edited by night on May 7th, 2007, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
night
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 4
Joined: May 7th, 2007, 5:10 pm

Unread postby Ryuusoul » May 7th, 2007, 7:36 pm

lvlln wrote:In the opening of the 3rd-from-the-top ending (M), Sion says,

"At the very least, I cannot bathe in sunlight.
Before it made me weak, but I at least could stand it.
Now-sunlight is instant death."

The correction is between "before" and "it" in the 2nd line; there needs to be a comma in between:

"Before, it made me weak, ..."

The phrase "before it made me weak" with no comma would refer to the time period before it used to make her weak.


Thanks.

night wrote:
"I have no intention of currying favor with the Magi Association, but you are an existence which must be punished"
lmao xD
i know she likes curry, so is this a typo or intended?
it's from Block E, Route 4


I'm assuming you're joking? If not, "currying" is a real word...

Also, please do not include screenshots. Please type out the sections that need help. Screenshots actually make it more tedious for us to correct.

Thank you.
User avatar
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy
 
Posts: 318
Joined: September 5th, 2004, 3:05 am

Unread postby lvlln » May 8th, 2007, 8:28 am

In section F, after defeating Hisui and Kohaku, Sion says,

"As you say, I had a lapse in judgement. Since we have no business here, we should quickly return to town."

There is only one "e" in "judgment," unless you are using British spelling, in which case "judgement" is accepted. But AFAIK, American spellings were being used, and in American spelling, having an "e" between the "g" and "m" is a bit of an archaic spelling and is considered incorrect.
lvlln
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 6
Joined: May 1st, 2007, 6:58 am

Unread postby Ryuusoul » May 8th, 2007, 8:22 pm

lvlln wrote:In section F, after defeating Hisui and Kohaku, Sion says,

"As you say, I had a lapse in judgement. Since we have no business here, we should quickly return to town."

There is only one "e" in "judgment," unless you are using British spelling, in which case "judgement" is accepted. But AFAIK, American spellings were being used, and in American spelling, having an "e" between the "g" and "m" is a bit of an archaic spelling and is considered incorrect.


As you say, I had a lapse in judgment... fixed.
User avatar
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy
 
Posts: 318
Joined: September 5th, 2004, 3:05 am

Unread postby Multi » May 8th, 2007, 10:01 pm

In the Oh my sister! path, after battle O with miyako where she says "onii-chan beat me up" and she runs away or something, this part:

"Miyako-chan ran away while trying to hold back her tears. ..... She's just still a kid, after all."

I think the sentence "She's just still a kid, after all." should be -> "She's still just a kid afterall."
Because I think "just still" instead of "still just" sounds awkward, and I'm not sure if a comma is necessary after kid either.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs
 
Posts: 26
Joined: April 30th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Unread postby Ryuusoul » May 10th, 2007, 10:17 am

Multi wrote:In the Oh my sister! path, after battle O with miyako where she says "onii-chan beat me up" and she runs away or something, this part:

"Miyako-chan ran away while trying to hold back her tears. ..... She's just still a kid, after all."

I think the sentence "She's just still a kid, after all." should be -> "She's still just a kid afterall."
Because I think "just still" instead of "still just" sounds awkward, and I'm not sure if a comma is necessary after kid either.


Sometimes I have typing dyslexia, only I whole reverse words instead of letters just.
User avatar
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy
 
Posts: 318
Joined: September 5th, 2004, 3:05 am

Unread postby Another_MB_Fan » May 19th, 2007, 3:19 pm

Hi :)
I found a typo in the english patch setup file. I guess it is related to this topic as well.
When you get the page where you choose components you wish to install, in the "Copy replay files" description it says:

...so you can savely remove the Japanese installation...

P.S. Thank you very much for the great work you are doing for the Melty Blood fans. I have been waiting for this patch release for a long time ... :)
Another_MB_Fan
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 19th, 2007, 3:08 pm

Unread postby Message » May 20th, 2007, 12:51 pm

Another_MB_Fan wrote:...so you can savely remove the Japanese installation...

Yup, sounds like me alright. Thanks a lot for the report, I'll fix this in the next release.
User avatar
Message
Master of Bad Puns
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: October 25th, 2004, 6:27 pm
Location: Netherlands


Return to Melty Blood Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron