Fighting sticks?

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Fighting sticks?

Unread postby puKKa » March 19th, 2007, 2:56 pm

I've been thinking of buying a Arcade Stick for my PS2. Anyone know of any good ones?
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby marus » March 19th, 2007, 10:20 pm

The stick I use is an ASCII Fighter Stick V, but it's a pretty old novelty as far as peripherals go, so it may be hard to find. I got it mostly because I'm cheap, but honestly I like it as much as any other stick I've used. I've heard good things about Pelican and Hori, so you may wanna check them out.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby puKKa » March 20th, 2007, 1:12 am

okey, googling around a bit it seems only the Hori sticks are of interest.

HORI Fighting Stick 2

HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick

Reading the reviews at the site I get suspicious as always when mostly only reading good reviews.

Just looking at them Hori FS2 looks best, though looks is not really of importance here ^^

And last but not least. There would not be any problems using a PS2 stick on other systems like GC or Xbox if you have a PS2->GC/XB adapter?
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby marus » March 20th, 2007, 2:51 am

And last but not least. There would not be any problems using a PS2 stick on other systems like GC or Xbox if you have a PS2->GC/XB adapter?

Probably not. Most fighting games allow for customizable controls, and I've never noticed any lag using a PS2 -> USB adapter. I can't say for certain though, I've never bothered to try (GC has too few fighting games, and I'm not a bit DOA fan).
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby miszou » March 20th, 2007, 3:22 am

Im guessing the hori arcade stick is one of the best buys if you don't want custom made ones. It has a sanwa stick, and the buttons can be replaced by sanwa buttons for a few extra dollars and no effort at all ^^

You can also change the stick to an 8 way one for like 50 cents :] if you want to play just fighting games ^^ (i prefer 8 way over 4 way on fighting games)

I played with the first version of this controller (with sanwa buttons in it) and it played damn good, close to real arcade experience and a lot better then most ac style controllers i played before. At least melty blood played very close to ac control ^^

The fighting stick is nice if you don't have much money, but I would recommend the real arcade pro stick if you want that real ac feeling, plus this one is extremely easy to mod or add or change parts, which is just wonderful ^^

If you have time to spare you can also make one your self, a lot of guides on the net :]
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Multi » April 30th, 2007, 2:25 pm

if you're handy with technical stuff, you can try to find the old dreamcast arcade joystick and mod it out. I've seen them go for ridiculously cheap (like less than 15 dollars) to too high (70-80).

http://cgi.ebay.com/MODIFIED-PS2-DREAMC ... dZViewItem

Is an example of someone doing a mod on one. I had fancied the idea before but i haven't really looked or found one cheap enough to be worth modding over other joysticks.

Oh, and another thing when looking at joysticks, um, i heard some people have issues with the joystick being too close to the buttons so keep that in mind too i suppose.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Return to Melty Blood Chat