Game Controller

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Game Controller

Unread postby tudaque » December 23rd, 2006, 10:27 am

What does eveyone use to play melty-blood? I'm using a ghetto 4 button joystick. How about you?
tudaque
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » December 23rd, 2006, 1:30 pm

Having tried and hated sebasdoes his Microsoft sidewinder gamepad, I recently switched from an ancient Guillemot T-Leader 3D (gameport) to a Saitek P880 gamepad (USB). I love both of them because of their simplicity, and the Saitek has an amazingly light d-pad which is good for my el weako thumbs. In any case the use of a 6-button controller is a lot easier than 4 buttons.

Unread postby puKKa » December 23rd, 2006, 2:23 pm

I started playing with a PS2 controller but I switched to keyboard as soon as I got hold of the keybind hack so I could use the controlls I use in guilty gear.
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby Ciel » December 23rd, 2006, 3:04 pm

I play with the keyboard, since I have no other peripheral that would work with my pc. :o
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » December 23rd, 2006, 7:32 pm

I have a cheapo Playstation Fighter Stick V I bought used in a Sofmap for about 1000 yen. I hook it up to my pc with a PS2-USB converters. Been using it for over a year now, and so far I've been very happy with it. Good practice for the arcade.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby puKKa » December 23rd, 2006, 7:39 pm

marus wrote:I have a cheapo Playstation Fighter Stick V I bought used in a Sofmap for about 1000 yen. I hook it up to my pc with a PS2-USB converters. Been using it for over a year now, and so far I've been very happy with it. Good practice for the arcade.

Would be nice to have one but all I've found are crappy or extremly expensive.. though I havnt really looked on the net for any..
iddqd
puKKa

Unread postby TheXev » December 24th, 2006, 5:26 pm

I used the PS2 Duel Shock. You can pickup a cheap $10 converter at Radio Shack (for you peoples in the US) that works great for Melty Blood.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby puKKa » December 24th, 2006, 10:13 pm

TheXev wrote:I used the PS2 Duel Shock. You can pickup a cheap $10 converter at Radio Shack (for you peoples in the US) that works great for Melty Blood.

Can't you use a PS3 controller aswell since you can connect them with USB?
iddqd
puKKa

Unread postby Alternity » December 26th, 2006, 6:46 am

Unfortentely unlike the PS2 controller the PS3 one doesn't automatically get recognized. You'll need to wait for either SONY or someone else to release drivers (like what happened for the original Xbox controller).

I use a Xbox 360 controller, works great.
Alternity
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Hyperbeast » January 6th, 2007, 10:10 pm

Using a keyboard here. Unfortunately my keyboard is a crappy wireless one which doesn't allow 2 buttons to be pressed at the same time *well it does, but the computer won't acknowledge it* and which constantly has the signals freeze up.
Not bad though, does what I need it to for the most part.
Hyperbeast
Crack Addic!

Unread postby puKKa » January 6th, 2007, 11:03 pm

O_O

how can you play with just one button-push at the same time? you can't throw, you can't to anything but 5a/b/c attacks, you can't jump forward.. creeeeeeepy -_-;;
iddqd
puKKa

Unread postby Dtrini » January 7th, 2007, 8:28 am

i use ps2 controller. i do have a lonitech but the directional buttons are kinda hard to use.
Dtrini
Addict

Unread postby Hyperbeast » January 9th, 2007, 3:57 pm

puKKa wrote:O_O

how can you play with just one button-push at the same time? you can't throw, you can't to anything but 5a/b/c attacks, you can't jump forward.. creeeeeeepy -_-;;

No, not like that, I can have up to two buttons active at the same time, but it can't send two signals at the same time, if you get my meaning.
I can play fine, but if a game needs two buttons to be pressed at the same time to do something then I can't do that, like if I was using AC mode for blood heat with the keyboard.
So long as I'm coordinated, I can still play fine.
Hyperbeast
Crack Addic!

Unread postby puKKa » January 9th, 2007, 6:45 pm

so you can do "6(hold)+C" but not "6+C"?
iddqd
puKKa

Unread postby Hyperbeast » January 10th, 2007, 6:02 pm

puKKa wrote:so you can do "6(hold)+C" but not "6+C"?

Well technically yes, because the delay isn't even noticeable, but as far as games need to read the signal then no. It's only a problem in games where I need to hit two buttons at once, like say KOF. In MB it's not much of a problem. Also depends on the settings for how fast they need to be, so some games it'll still work for but others it won't. As such, I play most of my fighting games on consoles.
Yeah, my keyboard is retarded.

As such.. Do joypads help that much or is the difference minimal?
Don't know of anywhere I can get a computer joypad in Perth..
Hyperbeast
Crack Addic!

Unread postby marus » January 10th, 2007, 11:52 pm

To me, using a controller feels more natural, but I'm sure one could play just as well with a keyboard. If you can play fine with your current setup, there's no reason to buy a controller. Don't fix what ain't broke, right?
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby puKKa » January 11th, 2007, 12:54 am

marus wrote:

To me, using a controller feels more natural, but I'm sure one could play just as well with a keyboard. If you can play fine with your current setup, there's no reason to buy a controller. Don't fix what ain't broke, right?

agree, I find keyboard the optimal wayof pyaing mbr sicne it is more exact than an analog controller imo.
iddqd
puKKa

Unread postby AceOfTrumps » February 7th, 2007, 2:20 am

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but it has been bugging me for a while.

I play Melty Blood (Final Tuned) with a USB controller that more or less resembles a PS2 controller. I'm not sure of it's brand or make (since this thing is a bit second hand...or even third or fourth hand (I borrow most of my gaming goods off kith and kin)), but since I it has a PS2 controller's major features (direction pad, 4 buttons, 2 little analog sticks), I'm hoping it won't hinder an answer.

Finally getting to my question; is it possible to play Final Tuned with said analog stick(s)? I haven't really seen this question asked anywhere else, so I'm guessing that it's either really simple or actually impossible. Thanks in advance.
AceOfTrumps
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby marus » February 7th, 2007, 2:35 am

It should work, assuming your controller isn't busted or something. Down is down, right is right, ect. Why do you ask, is it not working for you?
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » February 7th, 2007, 7:04 am

To use the analog sticks, you'd have to put your gamepad out of digital mode. Most digital/analog combo pads have a 'digital' button on it, disable that (or select 'auto', 'analog', 'tm', 'ch' or whatever is applicable) and you should be able to use the left analog stick instead of the d-pad.
It would help if you could give us the brand and model if you want further details...

Next

Return to Melty Blood Chat