Dodging and circuit sparking in MB:AC?

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Dodging and circuit sparking in MB:AC?

Unread postby ThreeLeafIvy » December 10th, 2008, 4:46 am

I've seen various places list the command for both, but never any strategies about it (instead there are strategies about shield counters and bunkers) and such or even a description. What do both of them do (well, dodging seems to logically give a few invincibility frames, but wtf is a Circuit Spark?) and what, if anything, are they good for?

For clarity:
# Dodge: Tap 2A+B or 2Q on the ground.
# Circuit Spark: Tap A+B+C or Q while in Max or (Blood) Heat mode while in hitstun on the ground.

from here.

EDIT: For further clarity, so there's:
Blocking: 4 or 1
Dodging: 2A+B or 2Q
Shielding: Holding D for more than 5 frames
EX-Shielding: Pressing D for 5 or less frames
Is that right? :?
ThreeLeafIvy
Posting more than n00bs

Re: Dodging and circuit sparking in MB:AC?

Unread postby nobaka » December 10th, 2008, 5:12 am

ThreeLeafIvy wrote:I've seen various places list the command for both, but never any strategies about it (instead there are strategies about shield counters and bunkers) and such or even a description. What do both of them do (well, dodging seems to logically give a few invincibility frames, but wtf is a Circuit Spark?) and what, if anything, are they good for?

For clarity:
# Dodge: Tap 2A+B or 2Q on the ground.
# Circuit Spark: Tap A+B+C or Q while in Max or (Blood) Heat mode while in hitstun on the ground.

from here.

EDIT: For further clarity, so there's:
Blocking: 4 or 1
Dodging: 2A+B or 2Q
Shielding: Holding D for more than 5 frames
EX-Shielding: Pressing D for 5 or less frames
Is that right? :?

As far as I can tell, Circuit Spark is just a giant FUCK YOU to the player for not timing your dodge/heat right. :P
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Gumaster » December 10th, 2008, 8:25 am

circuit spark can save your ass =\ what's better, using all your circuit to break out of a combo or take the combo and die?
although if your playing against the cpu yeah its mostly a waste of circuit and an accident. against players though who do longer combos and blockstrings and whatnot then its like a get out of jail free card. Unless they bait it :P Circuit spark itself is unblockable, fairly large range knockback around you (so unless its projectiles, itll wallslam whoevers hitting you) but its clashable (probably able to be dodged too). Having it clashed, baited/predicted, etc will lead to pain. losing all your circuit AND dying :P
dodge has a few uses but its very situational and you have to be some sort of psychic mind reader. The problem with dodge is that there is recovery on it where you are both no longer invincible and cannot block/dodge again/attack. So if they recover from their whiffed attack faster than you (or it's a multi hitting attack) its meaningless and youll just get hit anyways. Only times i've seen dodge being put into use is a) against someones arc drive and b) some crazy mindreading games where he dodged nanaya's (i think?) slide kick 2C, causing him to slide through him into the corner and then be beaten up before he could recover.

tl;dr
Circuit spark saves lives when used correctly.
Dodge has very very very limited uses. Don't just throw it out there randomly.
Gumaster
Might just like this board

Unread postby CSXLoser » December 10th, 2008, 6:41 pm

circuit sparks save lives
CSXLoser
Addict

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » December 10th, 2008, 10:56 pm

It's like Guilty Gear's Burst, only it costs your magic circuit rather than a separate gauge.
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby nobaka » December 11th, 2008, 3:54 am

I don't know everyone's dodge. I use Kohaku's occaisionally, because it's fucking amazing.

As for circuit spark v death...

What about just EX Shielding? That's what I do, if I can.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Gumaster » December 11th, 2008, 4:38 am

yeah but you cant ex shield while your taking hits :P and messing up ex-shield=pain anyways.
Gumaster

Unread postby ThreeLeafIvy » December 11th, 2008, 11:58 am

Helpful advice everyone, thanks.

Especially that tidbit about Kohaku's dodge and presumably everyone's dodge being different. It feels just like old times, pissing people off with Remilia's ground dashes in IaMP.
ThreeLeafIvy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Gumaster » December 11th, 2008, 8:47 pm

there are two types of dodges, ones where you just stand there and dodge and ones where you DO A BARREL ROLL! Ones where you roll are usually better I think. I think only kohaku and miyako have roll dodges but I can't say for certain no-one else does.
Gumaster

Unread postby furyoftheskies » December 12th, 2008, 8:07 am

Circuit sparks are fun when you have unlimited magic gauge.

Only problem with circuit spark is that you can't use it in air :(

And, if the character is too far away (like let's say player A uses a long range attack and player B defends > circuit sparks) then it screws you over.

But yeah, a circuit spark will either save you from death or it will screw you over.

Dodges, I don't really use them. I prefer to shield, but i usually only dodge when using Miyako, since her dodge makes her roll around.
Currently Translating: Pure Pure The Story of Ears and Tails AKA Pyua Pyua Mimi to Shippo no Monogatari
furyoftheskies

Unread postby Ryanbomber » December 12th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Gumaster wrote:there are two types of dodges, ones where you just stand there and dodge and ones where you DO A BARREL ROLL! Ones where you roll are usually better I think. I think only kohaku and miyako have roll dodges but I can't say for certain no-one else does.

Kohaku (and I guess Miyako) just have their standard dodge where they roll forward. Everyone else has a sidestep dodge.

Nrvnqsr's forward dash works similarly - immunity frames, appear farther ahead, but it's not really a dodge.

And the Necos have that digging thing, which is actually good at getting out of corners if you time it right.
Ryanbomber

Unread postby Gumaster » December 12th, 2008, 9:27 pm

the sidestep dodge doesnt move them anywhere though, unless they suddenly step into 3D and back again xD. Len also has a moving dodge, although not as far as kohaku or miyakos I think. Nero's dash is yeah, a teleport move that gives invincibility but can easily be punished when you reappear since the invincibility wears off before you can recover, like dodges.

side note: Unrelated but does hisui have a shield bunker attack?her shield bunker seems to do nothing in terms of an attack...not really important but i was just wondering
Gumaster

Unread postby Ryanbomber » December 13th, 2008, 6:27 am

Gumaster wrote:the sidestep dodge doesnt move them anywhere though, unless they suddenly step into 3D and back again xD. Len also has a moving dodge, although not as far as kohaku or miyakos I think. Nero's dash is yeah, a teleport move that gives invincibility but can easily be punished when you reappear since the invincibility wears off before you can recover, like dodges.

The animation has them stepping to the side. In gameplay terms, all that happens is that their hitbox disappears for a few frames.

Also, yeah, most dodges in general are punishable because there's a period of time between the invincibility ending and regaining control. For the most part, I find dodging to be more trouble than it's worth, and most problems can be solved by either Shielding, Blocking, or just jumping out of the way. I will admit that I dash-dodged Kohaku's Arc Drive as Nrvnqsr once and it was hilarious you just had to be there
Ryanbomber

Unread postby furyoftheskies » December 13th, 2008, 6:56 am

Ryanbomber wrote: I will admit that I dash-dodged Kohaku's Arc Drive as Nrvnqsr once and it was hilarious you just had to be there

Lol yeah, if Kohaku misses on her arc drive (which is REALLY easy to dodge if the opponent or CPU decides to use it from afar) then she crashes into the wall and get's a big bump on her head. The first time I saw that, I nearly fell off my chair laughing.
Currently Translating: Pure Pure The Story of Ears and Tails AKA Pyua Pyua Mimi to Shippo no Monogatari
furyoftheskies

Unread postby Gumaster » December 13th, 2008, 7:05 am

the computer dodged my nanaya's 214B dash attack once and then punished me :( I was sad.
Well, not all animations are sidesteps but that doesn't really matter. Walachia's one is a pretty damn cool sidestep+bow xD Kouma's on the other hand..he pretty much just slightly moves his torso >_>
and yes, dodging really is more trouble than its worth (in 99% of the cases anwyays) compared to your other options. Although in the 1% of cases, dodging makes nanaya sad :(
Gumaster

Unread postby furyoftheskies » December 13th, 2008, 7:15 am

Gumaster wrote:the computer dodged my nanaya's 214B dash attack once and then punished me :( I was sad.
Well, not all animations are sidesteps but that doesn't really matter. Walachia's one is a pretty damn cool sidestep+bow xD Kouma's on the other hand..he pretty much just slightly moves his torso >_>
and yes, dodging really is more trouble than its worth (in 99% of the cases anwyays) compared to your other options. Although in the 1% of cases, dodging makes nanaya sad :(

Dodging is actually more designed for quick moves like Nanaya's dash.

If you know the move has a long hitframe, then just shield it (I believe this is when auto-shield kicks in)

If the move is too quick for you, just dodge (or try to time your shield)
furyoftheskies

Re: Dodging and circuit sparking in MB:AC?

Unread postby Daichi » December 16th, 2008, 2:36 am

ThreeLeafIvy wrote:# Circuit Spark: Tap A+B+C or Q while in Max or (Blood) Heat mode while in hitstun on the ground.

Actually, the input for both Circuit Spark and Heat is just B+C. But yeah, if your not paying attention it's easy to Circuit Spark when you don't intend to. Just try to remember not to CS while your defending a combo. BTW, I hear that MB:AA has an Airborn CS, in one of the moon modes also.
Daichi
Mazin Go!

Unread postby nobaka » December 16th, 2008, 3:21 am

Gumaster wrote:side note: Unrelated but does hisui have a shield bunker attack?her shield bunker seems to do nothing in terms of an attack...not really important but i was just wondering

She does have a shield bunker. Unlike everyone else, hers is counter only. No attack if you they don't connect. She seems to have a wider window of opportunity for it to be triggered, though. She just pushes them away (enemy flies to other end of screen).
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Gumaster » December 16th, 2008, 10:02 pm

id say dodging is more for moves with long recovery and a small amount of hitframes...anyways, I just found out that CPU neco/NAC uses shield bunker as an attack. a lot. and i always fall for it :(
Gumaster

Unread postby nobaka » December 17th, 2008, 2:01 am

Gumaster wrote:id say dodging is more for moves with long recovery and a small amount of hitframes...anyways, I just found out that CPU neco/NAC uses shield bunker as an attack. a lot. and i always fall for it :(

I often use shield bunkers as attacks, especially with Aoko and Akiha.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Melty Blood Chat