Any differences in the new MB & MBRA 2.0 patches?

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Any differences in the new MB & MBRA 2.0 patches?

Unread postby BettiePage » November 27th, 2008, 9:27 am

I have the revolve patches for MB 1.8 and MBRA 1.1. With MBAC there appears to be a new Mirrormoon patch for these 2 games at 2.0. Have they been updated? Your main pages list the 2.0 mm patches yet your project page for these 2 games still list the revolve patches.
BettiePage
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » November 27th, 2008, 10:19 am

Here are the changelogs for the current MB and MBR releases:

Melty Blood English:
Code: Select all
        2.0 Vista and patching support
           + Added Vista support
           + Added support for patching Japanese installs
           * Rebuilt entire installer from third generation framework
           * Rehacked MB.exe from scratch, replacing several strings and using
              a better font for the launcher
           * Removed redundant files and increased compression in patch files
           * Updated Revolve Translations brands to mirror moon
           * Fixed several other image bugs
           * Fixed a mistake in the walkthrough for the Other tale ending
           * Updated readme to modern layout
           * Fixed a few typos
           - No longer keeping separate Japanese and English executables
           - Installer no longer asks for the exact location of the CD/DVD
           Win32: Melty_Blood_English_v2.0_[mirror moon].exe
           Release date: 2008-11-27

Melty Blood ReACT English:
Code: Select all
        2.0 Vista and patching support
           + Added Vista support
           + Added support for patching Japanese installs
           * Rebuilt entire installer from third generation framework
           * Rehacked MBR.exe from scratch with full-length debug menu descriptions
              and a better font for the launcher
           * Game mode descriptions edited to fit screen
           * Updated Revolve Translations brands to mirror moon
           * Fixed several other image bugs
           * Fixed some errors in Nrvnqsr's arcade mode script that introduced a
              crash bug, caused the script at the Aoko fight to display in
              Japanese and caused some win quotes to not display correctly
           * Fixed a mistake in the walkthrough for the Other tale ending
           * Updated readme to modern layout
           * Fixed a few typos
           - No longer keeping separate Japanese and English executables
           - The mbr2501ft2.exe archive is no longer required during intallation
           - Installer no longer asks for the exact location of the CD/DVD
           Win32: Melty_Blood_ReACT_English_v2.0_[mirror moon].exe
           Release date: 2008-11-27

In other words, the most notable changes are proper support for Windows Vista, and a crashing bug fix for MBR. A lot of small things were tweaked however, so updating is recommended in any case.

Unread postby ThreeLeafIvy » November 27th, 2008, 10:45 am

Can the 2.0 Mirror Moon patches be applied directly to the Revolve-patched games or is it a totally separate installation? If so, how do I preserve stats/scores/unlocks(?)/etc? (I'm guessing it has to do with copying some files.) I ask the latter question again for MB:AC's patch.
ThreeLeafIvy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Message » November 27th, 2008, 2:27 pm

ThreeLeafIvy wrote:Can the 2.0 Mirror Moon patches be applied directly to the Revolve-patched games or is it a totally separate installation? If so, how do I preserve stats/scores/unlocks(?)/etc? (I'm guessing it has to do with copying some files.) I ask the latter question again for MB:AC's patch.

Yes, you can simply upgrade your existing MB or MBR installations to version 2.0 by pointing the installer at your existing installation directory. If you used v1.8/v1.1 (or below) on windows Vista you might run into some trouble if you've played the game as a non-administrator user, so make sure to check that there's no stuff left in your virtualstore that should now be in the installation directory itself.
The patching mode in MBAC Eng should keep your saves/replays where they should be, though once again you might want to be careful on windows Vista. That OS is crazy, it's near impossible to test for every situation.

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 27th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Well now I know why the release for the MB:AC was pushed back now. Very nice work and having it work in vista as well is also a plus for playing the older versions just for the story mode. Although does MeltyBlood need to be installed beofre installing MeltyBlood:ReACT, since I was told that you have to install it that way to play Re:ACT.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Message » November 28th, 2008, 6:45 am

Kid-Wolf wrote:Well now I know why the release for the MB:AC was pushed back now. Very nice work and having it work in vista as well is also a plus for playing the older versions just for the story mode. Although does MeltyBlood need to be installed beofre installing MeltyBlood:ReACT, since I was told that you have to install it that way to play Re:ACT.

Yes, you'll need to install MB Jap or MB Eng before you can install MBR Eng. ReACT is an expansion of MB: Although it does get its own installation directory, it also uses files from the MB installation dir. (Note: MBAC was actually not at all pushed back to facilitate MB and MBR releases. They just happened to be finished at nearly the same time.)

Unread postby ThreeLeafIvy » November 28th, 2008, 10:41 am

Message wrote:
Kid-Wolf wrote:Well now I know why the release for the MB:AC was pushed back now. Very nice work and having it work in vista as well is also a plus for playing the older versions just for the story mode. Although does MeltyBlood need to be installed beofre installing MeltyBlood:ReACT, since I was told that you have to install it that way to play Re:ACT.

Yes, you'll need to install MB Jap or MB Eng before you can install MBR Eng. ReACT is an expansion of MB: Although it does get its own installation directory, it also uses files from the MB installation dir. (Note: MBAC was actually not at all pushed back to facilitate MB and MBR releases. They just happened to be finished at nearly the same time.)

Speaking of which, I'm in an odd situation right now that basically boils down to my not actually having a laptop of my own, and all of my personal data and games being stored on a 120 GB external hard drive which I take around and use on other people's computers.
I have all 3 Melty Blood games installed on that drive. The problem I'm having specifically is that often, ReAct doesn't work because it's not finding Melty Blood, and the reason for that is because the drive letter changes when I connect the device to different computers, and it's looking in the correct path but the wrong letter.
I didn't see an option to change the Melty Blood install path anywhere, but is there a Windows (XP) registry key I can edit or something that I can do on the fly to fix this?
ThreeLeafIvy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby ArchDemon » November 29th, 2008, 11:30 am

ThreeLeafIvy wrote:
Message wrote:

Speaking of which, I'm in an odd situation right now that basically boils down to my not actually having a laptop of my own, and all of my personal data and games being stored on a 120 GB external hard drive which I take around and use on other people's computers.
I have all 3 Melty Blood games installed on that drive. The problem I'm having specifically is that often, ReAct doesn't work because it's not finding Melty Blood, and the reason for that is because the drive letter changes when I connect the device to different computers, and it's looking in the correct path but the wrong letter.
I didn't see an option to change the Melty Blood install path anywhere, but is there a Windows (XP) registry key I can edit or something that I can do on the fly to fix this?

I think there's a file called _PATH.DAT in the MBR directory which stores the location of the MB installation. Try changing that in a text editor.
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby ThreeLeafIvy » November 30th, 2008, 7:40 am

That seems correct. I was able to open it in Notepad and the only line in there if the Melty Blood path. Haven't tested it yet but I'm sure it'll work. Thanks a lot.
ThreeLeafIvy
Posting more than n00bs

Return to Melty Blood Chat