Help on how to play this game please?

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Help on how to play this game please?

Unread postby Rokudaime » October 31st, 2008, 11:08 pm

Ok,I can run the game just fine,but I don't understand how to play it at all.Many places on this forum I see things like 126C(random example.please,no"that doesn't excist comment) when talking about combos,and I don't understand what those people are talking about.when there are 4 buttons(A,B,C,and D right?right??),what do you all mean when talking about numbers from 1-8?that makes it sound like there are 8 buttons to me. :( I use a Logitech Rumblepad 2,and all I've figured out how to do is the basic 3 moves and 1 block the character does when pushing one of the 4 buttons,and the same in the air or when crouching offcourse,and how to jump,run/charge,and backstep/backflip.I heard you can move the stick in specific ways/directions to do moves,or press those directions several times for same effect.

so,can anyone clear this up for me?the meaning of the numbers,how I do combos,how I do counters,how I do special/EX attacks,and how the heat gauge and/or other gauges work,would be appreciated.I'm not good at this kind o stuff.never understood how to play Guilty Gear either.I can handle Tekken and Soul Calibur,and I'm good at Smash Brothers,but this has me lost.
Rokudaime
Totally hardly posted

Re: Help on how to play this game please?

Unread postby Wiiown » October 31st, 2008, 11:17 pm

Rokudaime wrote:Ok,I can run the game just fine,but I don't understand how to play it at all.Many places on this forum I see things like 126C(random example.please,no"that doesn't excist comment) when talking about combos,and I don't understand what those people are talking about.when there are 4 buttons(A,B,C,and D right?right??),what do you all mean when talking about numbers from 1-8?that makes it sound like there are 8 buttons to me. :( I use a Logitech Rumblepad 2,and all I've figured out how to do is the basic 3 moves and 1 block the character does when pushing one of the 4 buttons,and the same in the air or when crouching offcourse,and how to jump,run/charge,and backstep/backflip.I heard you can move the stick in specific ways/directions to do moves,or press those directions several times for same effect.

so,can anyone clear this up for me?the meaning of the numbers,how I do combos,how I do counters,how I do special/EX attacks,and how the heat gauge and/or other gauges work,would be appreciated.I'm not good at this kind o stuff.never understood how to play Guilty Gear either.I can handle Tekken and Soul Calibur,and I'm good at Smash Brothers,but this has me lost.

Look at your numberpad on the keyboard, the numbers they use correspond to a direction you press, for instance 236 would be down -> Down forward at the same time -> Forward.
Wiiown
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Rokudaime » October 31st, 2008, 11:41 pm

ah,ok.thanks.I also managed to pull of some of Arcueids special moves from looking at the manual.still pretty clueless on combos an counters though.ABC could be called sort of a combo with Arcueid I guess......
Rokudaime
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ryanbomber » November 1st, 2008, 4:43 am

Combos in this game are pretty fluid. You can combo off just about anything - and you'll learn which ones really hurt, and just start doing them. At least, that's how I did.

If you need more advanced advice (and want to make your brain explode from information overload) try http://www.meltybread.com/
Ryanbomber
Might just like this board

Unread postby Shinshady » November 1st, 2008, 11:47 pm

Here's a combo guide on Arc

And Counters...? Whats hard about that? Its just hitting the person while they are in an attacking sprite (startup included).
Shinshady
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ryanbomber » November 2nd, 2008, 12:24 am

I missed you asking about counters so a quick word about that.

For the most part, it's easier to try to avoid or mitigate (block/shield) an attack, and then attack when you see an opening, than it is to actually get the counter mechanic, with a few exceptions - if you get behind someone when they are using an attack with a long animation, for example. Just be careful of attacks with weird hitboxes - NA's EX-eye lasers has a tendency to hit people who try to attack her from behind, and there's a few others that might get you hit if you try to attack someone doing it.

I think counters even reduce the damage you do slightly (for that combo), but don't quote me on that.
Ryanbomber
Might just like this board

Unread postby Rokudaime » November 2nd, 2008, 6:58 pm

thanks guys.I get it now. ^^ but the game lags to much on my PC though,so I'm gonna buy it for PS2 later instead.
Rokudaime
Totally hardly posted

Return to Melty Blood Chat