Melty Blood Last-Arcs

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Melty Blood Last-Arcs

Unread postby NanatsuYa » October 6th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Every character in Mb has a Last-Arc, which is performed by doing a EX-shield in the air or the ground (depending on character) while in Blood Heat mode.

Some of the characters Last-Arcs are devastating, while it doesn't just take massive damage, but does a circuit break on the opponent too (makes the opponent unable to aquire magic circuit of use specials for a short period of time).

But some Last-Arc's are weaker that the characters Arc-drives, and the question is, why is that??? Since it was a "Last-" in it I thought it would be like the "end move that does the most damage in the game". Some of these "underpowered Last-Arcs I can understand (like Hisui's "You are the Culprit" where it does not make any damage, but inverts the controls of the other character) or Tohno Shiki's (which takes away all the opponents red health, a.k.a health that can be restored) But the other underpowered ones does nothing special, except for the Circuit-break (which almost every LA inflicts).

For example:

Stronger Last Arcs (stronger than the character's AAD):
- Aozaki Aoko
- Sion Eltnam Atlasia
- Sion TATARI
- Red Arcueid

Weaker Last-Arcs (weaker than the character's AAD):
- Yumizuka Satsuki
- Kishima Kouma
- Arcueid Brunestud
- Shiki Nanaya

Special Last-Arcs (Last-Arcs that does something... well, special)
- Shiki Tohno (fully depletes the opponents red health-bar)
- Hisui (Inverts the opponents controls)

Is there some thought behind this, or does that just mean that those characters are more powerful in other sorts of attacks??? Or does this make absolutely no sense at all???

Post your thoughts^^
NanatsuYa
Crack Addic!

Unread postby nobaka » October 6th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Sion Tatari could be reasoned with the fact that she lost all her good moves, so they buffed her LA.

Warc, well... She's Warc. You gonna git raped.

It depresses me that Hisui's LA does 0 damage. :( It's useless against the computer.

Sacchin is strong enough that you really have no reason to use her LA. Besides, it's so much more fun to see her beating the shit out of people with her AD/AAD.

It doesn't seem to be based on balancing the characters (at least in my opinion). I think Last Arcs are there just for flavor, really.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Ryanbomber » October 6th, 2008, 10:19 pm

It is possible, but pretty hard, to bait some characters into using and missing with their Last Arc.

Happened to me with Ciel and I've seen NA bait Nrvnqsr using j.214B.

A lot of them Circuit Break but heck if I know which ones for sure.
Ryanbomber
Might just like this board

Unread postby s4itox » October 7th, 2008, 11:51 am

Known circuit breakers are Tohno Shiki, the two Akihas, Ren, Sacchin, Hisui, the two Sions, Arc, and Warakia.
I think it's because the Last Arcs aren't serious in terms of gameplay, they're more for a flashy, show-off fun play. Using Last Arcs in serious battles just isn't practical unless you either A) are an expert at (EX)Shielding or B) Know your opponent's gameplay so well you can predict what move they'll use before they use it and shield accordingly.
s4itox

Unread postby NanatsuYa » October 7th, 2008, 12:33 pm

s4itox wrote:I think it's because the Last Arcs aren't serious in terms of gameplay, they're more for a flashy, show-off fun play.

Yeah I think I can agree with that, it really is FUN to use Warc's Last-Arc on an unsuspecting player, kinda makes you laugh with her a bit xD
"Be sliced by the blades of Summer Snow, fragile thing..." - Nanaya Shiki.
NanatsuYa
Crack Addic!

Unread postby s4itox » October 7th, 2008, 3:06 pm

NanatsuYa wrote:
s4itox wrote:I think it's because the Last Arcs aren't serious in terms of gameplay, they're more for a flashy, show-off fun play.

Yeah I think I can agree with that, it really is FUN to use Warc's Last-Arc on an unsuspecting player, kinda makes you laugh with her a bit xD

I laugh more at using Len's Last Arc in a serious match. Enemy self esteem -50.
s4itox

Unread postby Ryanbomber » October 7th, 2008, 4:31 pm

s4itox wrote:Known circuit breakers are Tohno Shiki, the two Akihas, Ren, Sacchin, Hisui, the two Sions, Arc, and Warakia.
I think it's because the Last Arcs aren't serious in terms of gameplay, they're more for a flashy, show-off fun play. Using Last Arcs in serious battles just isn't practical unless you either A) are an expert at (EX)Shielding or B) Know your opponent's gameplay so well you can predict what move they'll use before they use it and shield accordingly.

Someone said that Last Arcs are basically a bonus for EX-Shielding during Blood Heat. It's more of a pleasant surprise than something you should actively work for.

That's pretty much what I think of it too. That, or when I really feel like showing off.
Ryanbomber

Re: Melty Blood Last-Arcs

Unread postby ayadew » October 7th, 2008, 4:43 pm

NanatsuYa wrote:
Is there some thought behind this, or does that just mean that those characters are more powerful in other sorts of attacks??? Or does this make absolutely no sense at all???

It makes no sense because it's not supposed to do, I've never viewed Melty Blood as a competitive and balanced game.
Last Arcs are like Instant Kills in guilty gear, flashy but pretty useless.
Although I can get in Last Arc with warc with pretty high consistency so some people are reluctant to go offensive on you when you use blood heat.
It's arguably the most imba since it's kinda... ranged. Deflect some ciel swords and it's pwnage time.

Arguably the most sexy LA too.
You get a nice Higurashi feeling from it.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby NanatsuYa » October 7th, 2008, 7:01 pm

s4itox wrote:
NanatsuYa wrote:

I laugh more at using Len's Last Arc in a serious match. Enemy self esteem -50.

You got that right ;)
"Be sliced by the blades of Summer Snow, fragile thing..." - Nanaya Shiki.
NanatsuYa
Crack Addic!

Return to Melty Blood Chat