Act Cadenza Netplay guide

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Act Cadenza Netplay guide

Unread postby Yendi » June 23rd, 2008, 6:43 am

This is a basic tutorial on how a person can play Melty Blood: Act Cadenza over the internet.

Before we get started, you will need to make sure that your copy of MBAC is patched up to version 1.03A. If it is not, you can download the patch from Ecole's website at:
http://e56.info/mbacwin/mbacwin.cgi?patch103A

You will need to download two things:

The MBCaster Netplay client:
http://mauve.sandwich.net/misc/mbcaster ... -mauve.zip

and

Hamachi:
https://secure.logmein.com/products/ham ... sp?lang=en

Note: I know that some people prefer using mIRC for matchups, but I thought Hamachi would be a little easier to use for a beginning netplayer.

Now that you've downloaded MBCaster, extract it and copy the contents (three files) of the "exe" folder to your MBAC root directory (the folder with mbacPC.exe in it). It may ask to overwrite the old 'info' file, this is okay, if not, don't worry about it.

IF you are using a gamepad or similar:

-Make sure you have your gamepad buttons mapped in the game's initial config menu.

---------
IF you are using a keyboard:

-Open the newly copied config_caster file in the MBAC directory and scroll down until you see a value for 'inputDevice'. Change it so it reads, "inputDevice=255" without the quotes. This will make it so you can use the keyboard for the controls.

-Scroll down a little further and you will see where the keyboard buttons are mapped. You will need to change these hex codes to the corresponding values found in the 'keycodes.txt' file in the original extracted MBCaster folder. For example, to have the A button bound to the left arrow key, you would make it so 'kA' reads "kA=0xCB" without the quotes.

-Once you've bound all of your controls, you should be set!
---------

When you are done configuring your controls, I'd recommend changing MBAC to run in windowed mode. This makes managing the several windows that you'll have open later much easier. Next, go ahead and start the game, go into the options menu, and set "StageBgType" to SIMPLE. Not changing the stage backgrounds to simple is a very bad thing, as it will sometimes result in high lag, creating a fun experience for neither you nor your opponent. If this should happen, the only way for you to regain your honor is by commiting seppuku.

Once that's done, go ahead and exit out of the game and run mbcaster.exe.

Once this window pops up, press 9 and hit Enter to select the Debug option. If it brings you to the character select screen, you're in business! If it fails to do so, there is a chance that something has gone wrong. Read back through the guide and make sure you're following all of the steps (or try reading through http://www.meltybread.com/forums/index.php?topic=541.0 for troubleshooting). When you've reached the character select via the debug option, rejoice, and exit MBAC for now, for we're done with this part.

Next, I'll show you how to configure Hamachi.

Run the Hamachi Setup executable. It's a fairly standard install process; make sure that you select the basic version to install. Once setup is done, check the option to immediately launch Hamachi. Hamachi will walk you through the configuration process with a brief mini-guide. When it completes, you should be staring at a blank Hamachi window.

You can now do two things: make your own Hamachi server, or join someone else's. In order to show how it's done, I'll go ahead and make an example Hamachi server.

Once you're in a server and ready to play (regardless of whether you hosted the server or joined someone else's), your screen should look something like this:

Ideally, what I would do now would either be to post the server name and password on either the Melty Bread or mirror moon forums, get people to join, and start up matches that way. However, since this is just for the tutorial's sake, I won't be doing that....

WHAT'S THIS

SOME MISCREANT HAS JOINED MY SERVER

Oh, he's going to get it.

Since we've already determined who's going to host, on his mbcaster he chooses 1. Wait for Access:

On my end I choose 2. Try access, and type in his hamachi address, and hit enter.

The host receives the info about the connecting client, and sets the Input Delay. I generally use whatever mbcaster recommends: 1-3 means your connection is decent; 5 or higher, you start running into some lag; 10 is nearly unplayable.

And we're off!

Okay did anyone seriously not see this coming.

From here on, we can Once Again, change characters and stages, or hit Esc and exit out!

tl;dr
1. Patch MBAC to 1.03a
2. Download and copy MBCaster files into directory
3. Install Hamachi
-3a. Host own Hamachi server
OR
-3b. Join someone else's Hamachi server
4. Find a person to play against on said Hamachi servers
-4a. Host game with option 1 in MBCaster, wait for opponent to join
OR
-4b. Join game with option 2 in MBCaster, type in person's Hamachi address
5. Host selects delay
6. Character select
7. Epic battle ensues
8. ???
9. Profit!

That's all. Most of this guide is my work, so parts are bound to be horribly inaccurate; I did take a few bits and pieces from the mbcaster readme. If anyone has any questions or problems feel free to ask; hopefully either myself or someone else who also has netplay experience will be able to help.
Yendi
Might just like this board

Unread postby hagaren199 » July 23rd, 2008, 4:07 am

Thanks a bunch, I found your guide very helpful. Great for newbies like me trying to get into MB for the first time.
hagaren199
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » July 27th, 2008, 5:07 am

No wonder I couldn't connect properly...
Now I know what to do, thanks!
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby abscess » September 17th, 2008, 11:17 pm

This thing should be stickied.
Sheesh... I tried to put this guide to good use but no one seems to want to play against some noob like me!
Besides the Hamachi Melty Bread networks, are there other ones?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Yendi » September 18th, 2008, 4:25 am

Unfortunately, the melty bread thread is the only one that I know of that has a list of hamachi networks. If you're confident or daring enough, you could try joining an IRC channel (again, melty bread is the only one I know of off-hand) and play against someone without going through hamachi, just by using your IP address.
Yendi
Might just like this board

Return to Melty Blood Chat