Updates on progress of Melty Blood patch [2005/07/11]

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Updates on progress of Melty Blood patch [2005/07/11]

Unread postby TheXev » July 14th, 2005, 5:38 am

Well, when was the last time I did one of these? It?s been a year and two months, that?s how long, and its high time I show off some of the amazing progress on Melty Blood and Melty Blood ReACT.

Technical End: Font

Meet roxfan. This man is your hero. ?Why is this man my hero, TheXev?? The following is why:

Do you see that? That?s not T E R R I N I G M A like quality, now is it? No, it?s not a veritable width font, but a half width sized font is still pretty damn impressive at this point. This font didn?t require any changes to the EXE, so the EXE for Melty Blood is pretty much finalized at version English5 (the EXE currently in our public Melty Blood patch). This particular picture was taken using roxfan?s first build of the font on 2005/06/30, which was basically just the original font, shrunk to half of its original width.

These two pictures are of the font I?m currently testing under both Melty Blood and ReACT. Right now I?m experimenting with the size of the font in story mode, to see what I?ll need to do to compromise between a readable size, and being able to fit translated dialog into these little boxes. In the 2nd picture, this is the font I?ve tested under the arcade story mode. As you can see, there are some issues with characters that should still be full width, such as ellipsis. Roxfan has written a very simple to use tool, that will convert compatible fixed width windows fonts into the fnt format used by Melty Blood. Both of these fonts are far from finalized. Both of these ReACT screenshots are running under Melty Blood ReACT FT 2.500b. Sadly I doubt I can make story mode very enjoyable under windowed mode. The font will have to remain too small to make it enjoyable.

One thing is for curtain with this font development, I will defiantly include the very first part of story mode (up until the fight between Sion and Shiki) in English with the next patchs.

Technical End: EX3 compression
Today roxfan, our hero, once again greeted me with a pleasant surprise. Today he had semi working EX3 compression working! What does this mean to you? Allow me to show you:

Even with this very early version of roxfan?s ex3 compressor, which compresses all bitmap data in the patch, there is almost a 3mb difference in file size, and that?s not even with all bitmaps compressed yet! This isn?t really important now, but since the final version of the patch has the potential to have 46MB?s worth of RAW bitmap data (this is taking into consideration that we may have to Photoshop every Engrish title screen used during story mode at the beginning of each chapter), its important for us to implement this compression to save some hard drive space on you, our fans?, hard disc.

Here you can see the difference in size between some of the files included within the patch (Options menu, Pause screen we haven?t seen since MB 1.000, and part of the level selection screen).

This ex3 compressor is still being developed, so it?s far from final.

Translation End: What?s been happening?

Well, other then the revision translation Ryuusoul started awhile back, no new progress has been made. For the above arcade mode screen, I just had that one line from Ciel?s story intro translated for testing reasons. The translation itself needs a complete revision before we can continue with new translation work. I also discovered that ReACT?s scripts contain some very minor revisions. Pretty much every reference to when Tsukihime takes place has changed from one year in Melty, to two years in ReACT. My only guess as to reasons for these changes is to take into account that Kagetsu Toyha takes place after Tsukihime, then Melty Blood after that. Melty and ReACT will each contain those differences, so if anyone notices them in the final patch, it is indeed intentional to remain accurate.

Melty Blood specific information
Melty is all ready to go, as far as technical difficulties. Menu?s have been done for a year, so all that is missing is story mode.

Melty Blood ReACT specific information
ReACT right now, is still no where near ready for a menu patch. I?m still waiting on the photoshopped menus, and Daichi has been hella busy lately and has no time to work on them. Not sure what we?re going to do on that front?

I can safely say, without a doubt, the ReACT patch will require you to already have the Final Tuned patch installed! It is far to large for us to include with the patch, and thanks to the post Final Tuned patches including a new .p file, we can patch using 00ft.p instead of 07.p like we had been using during our development. If you don?t have Final Tuned, get a hold of it now as you?ll need it for our patch.

Well, that?s all I can think of right off hand. It?s been almost a year since we?ve had any serious progress on the Melty front, and I?m just glad to see it get back on track. Now that the translation end of Tsukihime is winding down, I should have plenty of translation power at my disposal within a month to start making some serious progress!

*note* Yeah, I know 2.500c is out; I?m updating the front page in a few. I?m sure everything will work just fine with it though.

*update* Oh yeah, I almost forgot a screenshot of the subtitled opening video! Full quality PNG.

These subtitles will not require you to download the entire video, instead we will include a Substation Alpha File that?s very small, and include instructions on how to enable Vobsub to display subtitles when the video is loaded. Vobsub is small, and handy, and yes, it will display the subs within the game!
Last edited by TheXev on February 21st, 2006, 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Re: Updates on progress of Melty Blood patch [2005/07/11]

Unread postby Message » July 14th, 2005, 6:12 am

TheXev wrote:...I will defiantly include

There we go again. ^_^v

It all sounds very great to me, but some alarms were going off when you started about that bitmap compression. Surely it saves space, but it has to be decompressed again during runtime. I'm not sure where in the game these bmps will be used, but in my experience compression can often lead to very short but quite annoying pauses. It may not be a problem at all, but perhaps you might have to consider a prefecting decompressor. Just my half a Eurocent worth, of course.

Unread postby TheXev » July 14th, 2005, 6:43 am

Well, I highly doubt you notice it at all. EX3 compression is already used on all bitmaps within Melty Blood, such as all the character textures we see during the character selection, all of the little mini portraits, any and all of the backgrounds used during story mode. As a matter of fact, EX3 is used on every texture except the character AI files and the characters in motion bitmap files. With that said, if EX3 caused any major lag in Melty, you would have noticed it already in your everyday game play. EX3 is not some monster compression like RAR, but it makes the files small enough to save some handy space.

All we?re doing is utilizing something that has been a part of Melty Blood to begin with. I know from my testing that I am noticing no lag what-so-ever when loading textures
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Message » July 14th, 2005, 11:46 am

Well in that case all is good.

BIG thumbs up for rigging an SSA sub in there! But... "inside the will to return"? :roll:

Unread postby gp32 » July 14th, 2005, 3:06 pm

Message wrote:But... "inside the will to return"? :roll:

Yeah, why not "inside the will to REVOLVE"?

*runs away*
gp32
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ryuusoul » July 14th, 2005, 8:07 pm

Great news!
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Arcueid_Brunestud's_Lover » July 19th, 2005, 10:11 pm

Hey what are the system Requirements for it because it did not work on my PC...?
Nine Inch Nails:"There is no you; there is only me. There is no you, there is only me. There is, no F^&%@n' you! There is only me. There is, no F^&%@n' you! There is only me. Only. Only. Only. Only."

http://www.myspace.com/arcueid_brunestud_lover
look at my page^_^XD
Arcueid_Brunestud's_Lover
Posting more than n00bs

Location: In my own world... Creating the biggest Anime that will hit the World!!!... L.A. ^_^

Unread postby Matthias » July 20th, 2005, 1:03 am

this makes my eyes water.
Matthias
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby Ciel » July 20th, 2005, 1:46 am

Arcueid_Brunestud's_Lover wrote:Hey what are the system Requirements for it because it did not work on my PC...?

Check http://revolve.emuxhaven.net/melty_blood.html

By not working what exactly happened? Did it just crash, display some message or something, or simply didn't even open?
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby GoodAndy » August 8th, 2005, 5:45 am

Yay. I've really been wanting the story mode to be translated. Hopefully, you guys get to finish and the US will probably hear much more about Melty Blood. I wish more people in the US knew of it. It's too awesome to miss like this. I'm sure everyone will owe a big thanks to Revolve. I'm gonna' write a song about Revolve. Either that or make a crazy layout

Why?

Because, I'm stupid. But I'm proud of it.

EDIT
Speaking of which:
This is the black and white logo with no layer elements applied. I haven't decided if there should be any layer elements added. I've cycled through a bunch of colors and the best ones were:
black text, bright orange background
white text, maroon background
light blue text, grey background

I'm just doing this for fun. But if you guys want me to seriously make a layout, I can. I'll do it for free. I'm not super awesome, but I'm pretty decent.
GoodAndy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Dectilon » August 8th, 2005, 8:42 am

Kinda cool. No need to colour that.
- "I can't help to be angry when I'm furious!"
Dectilon
Crack Desu!

Unread postby GoodAndy » August 8th, 2005, 9:44 pm

Thanks, but now no one can see it. Unpaid bills! lol
No more sig for me, no for avy for me, and no more sig for you. Oh well. Hopefully he'll get my money.

EDIT
I got it hosted at deviantART.
GoodAndy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Ciel » August 8th, 2005, 11:29 pm

Deviantart doesn't seem to allow direct linking. Perhaps try http://www.photobucket.com or http://www.imageshack.us.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby GoodAndy » August 9th, 2005, 3:36 am

It isn't working? Weird. Oh well, here:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/21518168/

My hosting should be up soon. Kinda' strips me of my life, man. ....man...

Okay, I got a photobucket account or whatever:
GoodAndy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Soulanger » August 28th, 2005, 7:54 am

Hey when will be released. This patch i mean. and the react translation. Im excited at the subbed- intro.
Soulanger
Addict

Unread postby DarksideOfSoul » August 28th, 2005, 8:11 am

its done when its done, eben when you ask it won't finish faster
DarksideOfSoul
Totally hardly posted

Arcade ending

Unread postby ShadowmanEXE » September 12th, 2005, 2:19 pm

I dont know if you included this in the previous text about all updates, so ill ask: Are you going to put sibtitles on the arcade endings of each character? because when i finished with Akiha, she talks with Kohaku, but i couldnt understand it all.

and great work!, i hope the complete version us up soon.
ShadowmanEXE
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Dectilon » September 12th, 2005, 8:05 pm

Oh no! For that question, Fluffy will devour you!
Dectilon
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ShadowmanEXE » September 12th, 2005, 10:40 pm

...................................................................................
got three questions:

1.- This is one that i had since i got Melty Blood and ReAct: Whats the difference between Melty Blood and ReAct, i mean, If you got both, which one is better or one has something that the other one doesnt has, and if thats so, why play the other one?

2.- was that a yes or a no? (last post before this one)

3.- Who is Fluffy?
ShadowmanEXE
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Dectilon » September 13th, 2005, 3:27 pm

1:The difference between melty blood and ReAct is that react is faster, has a new system for the magic circuit, has some new characters (and the old characters have been changed so that it's a much larger difference between for example, Arcueid and Warcueid), it features improved graphics and character balance and a much better arcade mode with boss battles and voice acting. In summary, once you start playing ReAct there is no reason to play the regular.

2: I'm not on the staff, but I've asked that question before and got a negative answer.

3: Fluffy is the evil mascot of TheXev (I think). Seeing as Fluffy is the destroyer of worlds, it would be best not to anger Xev. :)
Dectilon
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to Melty Blood Chat