Heavy problems with graphics and FPS, help aprecciated.

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

Heavy problems with graphics and FPS, help aprecciated.

Unread postby Shuugo » May 12th, 2005, 2:46 am

Well...usually, MBR here runs at 60 fps exactly. Yesterday, while my pc was running only MSN Messenger and I was away at it, which means no human action on the PC at all, some error occured. The screen went back to 8 bit color and to 640x480 resolution. I tried to return it to my defaults, but nothing happened. I rebooted the system, everything was ok. Got into MSN again, talked for like..20 mins and it happened again. Same process, rebooted and it didn't happen again.

The problem is, since then, my MBR is running at poor 20 fps AND it crashes with more or less 5 mins of play. I tried playing Counter-Strike too and the FPS went low very easily, not to mention it was "quick-crashing" many times on me. Like, freeze, 1 sec, unfreeze.

My PC config is :
Athlon XP 1.7, 512 RAM DDR, GeForce 4 MX440 128 mb.

No clue of what that can be. I leave my pc on every night, just to state.

Any help is very aprecciated, thanks in advance.
Shuugo
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » May 12th, 2005, 4:55 am

Some random ideas on finding the problem: Have you tried reinstalling your videodrivers? As in, first uninstall them and then reinstall. You might also want to run Memtest86 a couple of rounds to see if your memory is defective, though I'd think it's more likely to be a problem with your video memory or other videocard component, I don't know a way of checking that save exchanging the entire graphics adapter. Also, check if your fans are all spinning correctly (steady, silent and when you stop them they start running again without problems). The reset to low resolution could be some weird kind of overheating protection, though I've never heard of this one myself.

Unread postby Shuugo » May 14th, 2005, 12:45 am

I will try those later. Thanks a lot, although, more sugestions still aprecciated. See ya ^^.
Shuugo
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TheXev » May 19th, 2005, 6:09 am

Sometimes when uninstalling video drivers, you should use a nice 3d party tool for doing so (something that will REALLY clean the registry settings out). That way when you reinstall you can do so on a clean slate with proper default settings. I also highly recommend Message?s recommendation, Memtest86. It?s a good way to find out if your ram is damaged or working correctly, which may affect stability. However, imo, if the problem started with MSN, you may wish to your System Properties, advanced tab, startup and recovery, and uncheck ?automatically restart.? What this will do is allow you to read the Blue Screen of Death that is more then likely popping up, then you can see if that helps you figure out what?s going on (or tell me, and I can probably pinpoint the problem). When your done writing the information down (and you?ll probably have to write it), just hold your power button for 4-5 seconds until the machine manually shuts off.

Sorry I didn?t catch your thread sooner, but I?ve been busy with real life.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Return to Melty Blood Chat