new to MB: help! my framerate SUCKS!

Let's talk about the port of the port of the port of the update of the port of the port of the update of the expansion of the game that will apparently never be awesome enough.

Moderator: Staffers

new to MB: help! my framerate SUCKS!

Unread postby quartz » May 8th, 2005, 3:37 am

Hey, I'm new to MB, so I apologize if any of these are stupid questions...

I have MB (japanese), and the MBR trial (english)... I recently tossed together some spare parts I had and made a new box, with the intent of using it mainly for MB... except now that I've fired everything up, I find the the frame rate on both games is terrible. I get maybe 1 frame every 4 or 5 seconds, even idling at the menu screen pegs the cpu.

These are the box's specs, can someone take a stab at a solution? (or tell me where I should be looking)

600EB mhz p3
intel desktop board D815EEA
256 ram
ATI rage pro turbo AGP, with I believe 8mb of ram on it
win2k with all the updates that I know of (including directx 9)
2 fresh HDs, so no fragmentation issues

now, I know the vid card is rather old, but MB is a 2D game and shouldn't need much in that department, right?

also- I'm not really a gamer, so there may be something totally obvious that I missed. be kind to me :)

anyway, TIA
quartz
Totally hardly posted

Re: new to MB: help! my framerate SUCKS!

Unread postby Fuyutski » May 9th, 2005, 12:34 am

quartz wrote:600EB mhz p3
intel desktop board D815EEA
256 ram
ATI rage pro turbo AGP, with I believe 8mb of ram on it
win2k with all the updates that I know of (including directx 9)
2 fresh HDs, so no fragmentation issues

now, I know the vid card is rather old, but MB is a 2D game and shouldn't need much in that department, right?

Your absolutely correct, it's time for a newer graphics card then that of which it contains. Melty Blood requires a 40MB Card for 16bit Colour and 64MB for 32bit. Keep in mind, that even through the sprites are 2D, the game is still loading up the 3D-ish, moving backgrounds.

I use to run the game on 16bit back on my old computer with a 32MB RIVA TNT2 and it use to lag (or not being able to see the characters, only the backgrounds) on some of the levels.
Part of the Tsukihime Team, and Owner of Typemoon.us.
Fuyutski
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby quartz » May 9th, 2005, 12:55 am

Aha. So I guess the spec sheet I was reading was way off then, I thought it needed 16 megs tops.

You answered my next question too- I got the drivers for the onboard video (which is surprisingly un-sucky), and although the framerate is great, I'm getting missing sprites left and right (dunno how much the board has, but MB sees 38.8)

So I just have to dig up a better video card... easy solution. I was beginning to think there was some weird incompatibility with this mobo or something.

Thanks!
quartz
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Fuyutski » May 9th, 2005, 1:08 am

quartz wrote:You answered my next question too- I got the drivers for the onboard video (which is surprisingly un-sucky), and although the framerate is great, I'm getting missing sprites left and right (dunno how much the board has, but MB sees 38.8)

I had intergrated Video on the old Computer too. Truth be told, it was worse then the TNT2 when it came to playing MeltyBlood. :P

quartz wrote:So I just have to dig up a better video card... easy solution. I was beginning to think there was some weird incompatibility with this mobo or something.

Thanks!

A Secondhand/Old 64MB Card should be sufficent for the game, but I'd just go the mile and get a 128MB. :)
Part of the Tsukihime Team, and Owner of Typemoon.us.
Fuyutski
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby quartz » July 3rd, 2005, 8:19 am

so yeah.... I picked up a used geforce mx 400 (for a buck no less) and everything flies :) I just got MBR too... I'm liking it a lot.

thanks for the help!
quartz
Totally hardly posted

More 1 thing:

Unread postby Azkagoth » January 5th, 2006, 7:34 pm

If your problem dndt be solved yet there are some other solutions:
First, isn't always the power of the vidoe card that matters, examples I have fable The lsot Chapters and cant run even 1 time i have 64mb and it requires 64 mb, sometimes you have enough power on the card but the techinology used to the game isnt present in your card, depending u can maximize your card power to his full power making pc slower but better grap?hics, read about faq in microsoft games.
Second:sometimes may happen a problem during instalatiion even doesn't appering try to re-instal alll in that case( In ragnarok I keep my 2 korean server archives to keep reinstalling monthly otherqise the Ragnarok private saerver doesn't work to me doesn't work)
Normally gettin an Ati Raedeon aroung 126 or Geforce 4 with 64 mb but with rgeater techinologgy should help u,some other video cards should wolrd too but i trust more these 2.If after all It doesnt work the instalattion cd (if bought a cd) is in good state, otherwise u should use your guarantee depending and techinical suppor.I hope this help an sorry for any ortographic errors ,I am still learning english.I cant give u a full guide cause I dont have the game.

Oops,sorry dndt see u already made game work...I am keeping this there in case of further problems if anyone want me to delete this tell me please.
Azkagoth
Totally hardly posted

Return to Melty Blood Chat