A suggestion

Talk about Gravity's Arcturus here!

Moderator: Staffers

A suggestion

Unread postby tnomad » November 24th, 2004, 12:40 am

Hi, guys I'd really love to see this translated and I really hope you guys don't end up giving up due to other commitments or losing interest like so many other online translation groups.

Would I be right in assuming that the main thing that's going to take time on this project is the translation itself? Fitting that back into the game I'm sure will be a lot of monkey work but if you had a compelete translation then I would assume progress would be much quicker.

Have you considered hiring a professional translator? I know there's a big cost factor here but I could probably help get you guys get a discounted rate from someone who's worked on a lot of big-name game titles. (I'm not going to post anything specific in here)

Although I'd have to see how text there was I could imagine it could be as cheap as $1000 and maybe at most $3000. (Though I can't guarantee that without seeing the scripts) If you could somehow find 100 people to chip in 10 dollars it's not that bad.

If you went down this route in 1-3 months you'd have the full translated script and could instead spend your time working putting that text into the game, instead of relying on (no offence guys) translators who have other real-life commitments.

I don't mean any offence to those who have already agreed to give up their free time and skills to translate for no cost, I just know you're going to get a better and quicker product if we all chipped in some money to get it.

Anyway I just thought I'd mention is as I'm REALLY keen to play this game, and I am in a position where I think I could probably help you get a top quality translation cheaper than you could elsewhere to get this project moving at some speed.
tnomad
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby emperor » November 24th, 2004, 2:32 pm

1) This is supposed to be a fan translation
2) That amount of money wouldn't be available, not like 100people would donate 10$.
3) This is supposed to be a fan translation
4) Getting translations and all is probably part of the fun
5) This is supposed to be a fan translation
6) For a work of fans...who'd hire somebody?
7) This is supposed to be a fan translation
8) The way is what's important, not the result. Don't you know the myth of Sisyphos?
9) This is supposed to be a fan translation
I dunno it's how I think and I probably could add more. I am confident I am on the winning side ...
emperor
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Haeleth » November 25th, 2004, 2:15 am

More to the point... (a) professional translators probably wouldn't want to work on an unauthorised translation, and (b) it would cost more than $3000, and if just a hundred people donating $10 sounds unlikely... ^^
Haeleth
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby tnomad » December 1st, 2004, 2:35 am

Okay clearly you guys don't like the idea, it was just a suggestion. I'll respond to what you've said and I guess I'll leave it at that.

"1) This is supposed to be a fan translation"

That doesn't really mean anything. In the old days fansubs of Anime were done by paying a professional translator to do the script. It's an unofficial project meant to address the lack of a commercial release right? What does it matter how it's done...

"2) That amount of money wouldn't be available, not like 100people would donate 10$."

That's a fair enough point, it may be difficult to impossible to get that kind of money but you could try.

"4) Getting translations and all is probably part of the fun"

The "fun" part indeed. Translating a massive game is not fun, it's a lot of hard work. And more than anything if it's done badly or wrong it's obviouslly key enough that the whole project is pointless. So many net anime translations are wrong so the final result is an episode that seems fine but is misleads you with mistakes in the translation.

"6) For a work of fans...who'd hire somebody?"

Why not? If it gets the project finished and if somehow the money could be found it seems to me to be a great idea.

"Cool The way is what's important, not the result. Don't you know the myth of Sisyphos?"

Sorry I thought the point was to get an English version of Arcturus, I didn't know it was rite of passage.

"I am confident I am on the winning side ..."

Guh! The winning side, I hate people on the internet. I was trying to be helpful, I didn't realise I was trying to win a battle...

"(a) professional translators probably wouldn't want to work on an unauthorised translation"

That's a tricky part, but I know translators who have worked on such projects, obviouslly keeping their names off the project. You can find people who will do it.

"(b) it would cost more than $3000"

You don't know that, you'd be surprised at the prices of freelance Japanese translation. They're high but not insanely high... I can't really give names out but I know of major game titles done cheaper than that.

"just a hundred people donating $10 sounds unlikely... ^^"

Maybe so, it depends how many supporters you could get for the project. I guess Arcturus is a fairly obscure game in the west, but I'm sure there'd be a lot of people who'd love to play it. It's just capturing their attention and convincing their attention and wallets that would be tricky.

I'm not saying it would be easy, but I thought it would be a promising idea to get the project done. I didn't expect people to shoot down the idea out of ignorance. I expected the idea to be discarded because of the costs involved, which is fair enough...
tnomad
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Rahizial » December 1st, 2004, 7:07 am

Your taking this too seriously. They are doing how they want to do it. If it ends up not getting done that isnt the end of the world anyways.
Rahizial
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby emperor » December 1st, 2004, 3:44 pm

Well, well, well. I didn't think either that you'd take it so seriously. Just on a sidenote, I didn't mean a "cool smily" it's just when you do
Code: Select all
8)
. If you think it's best from your POV then how about making a poll "Who'd donate 10$", though it's not unlikely it would get locked anyways. If you ask me, you will not even get 300people to vote, especially not 300 to vote for yes, and even less people who actually mean what they vote.
emperor
Posting more than n00bs

Return to Arcturus Chat