Setting up a server (especially over LAN/local)

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Setting up a server (especially over LAN/local)

Unread postby LavaBall » January 26th, 2010, 9:37 am

I always have problems trying to set up a server especially over lan, how do I make it so that the other computer can connect to my server? I can see my own server up but the other computer doesn't, I am using "localhost" in the IP, I've also used 127.0.0.1 as the IP and I do the same to the other computer but the other won't list my server in the server select, please help me on how do I do it correctly so I can play over LAN.

Thanks in advance.
LavaBall
Addict

Re: Setting up a server (especially over LAN/local)

Unread postby Roll » February 5th, 2010, 8:32 am

Localhost means the computer you're currently on. You need to use the server's actual IP address. Localhost always points the machine to itself.
Roll
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby LavaBall » February 5th, 2010, 10:52 am

Oh I found out my port is not forwarded, I googled "Port forwarding" and got pages on port forwarding, never done it successfully no matter from what I've read, so I guess I can just forget about setting up a server. :|
LavaBall
Addict

Unread postby Khristophoros » February 8th, 2010, 12:56 am

You don't need to forward a port for LAN hosting. You simply have not been using the correct IP for the other players to connect to.

Go to your Command Prompt and type in "ipconfig", then press enter. This will give you the IP address that other computers on the LAN need to connect to you. Here's an example:

I have circled in red my local IP address. This is what all the other computers on my LAN at home know as my computer. So what you're looking for is the IP Address listed under Local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection.
Khristophoros
Totally hardly posted

Return to WindomXP Chat