ukwxp on windows 7???

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

ukwxp on windows 7???

Unread postby beavermml » May 6th, 2009, 1:48 am

hi.. i have a problem running ukwxp in windows xp or actually it does not run at all. everytime i lauch thye program, it says Ultimate Knight is not installed
correctly.. how do i fix it?
beavermml
Totally hardly posted

Re: ukwxp on windows 7???

Unread postby richter » May 7th, 2009, 1:43 pm

I'm too in Windows 7 RC 7100.
May be some change in "Local Application Data" to "Local" in Window 7 ?
richter
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Endymion » July 24th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Does anyone managed to run Ultimate Knight WindomXP on windows7? Trial version works fine, but full version gives an error "not installed correctly"... if I replace executable of full version with exe from trial - it works (like trial ver...) so problem is somewhere in .exe and probably has nothing to do with installation...
I tried all comptability modes but still no go.
Can anyone suggest something?
Endymion
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Endymion » August 2nd, 2009, 12:43 am

Direct2Drive support said that i should contact the author about this issue, but I can't do that. I can't find him and even if I do, I have no idea how to speak with him... I never thought that if trial version works on some OS, then full version may nor run on it.
Maybe someone with experience can compare game executable from the trial and full version and suggest some workaround?

------------------
OK i figured out that I get the same error even on XP if I delete this from the registry:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ukwxp]
"wxp"=dword:00000001
"wxpinst"="C:\\Program Files\\Ultimate Knight WindomXP"

Adding this to Windows 7 doesn't helps, but maybe I should specify something other then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ukwxp on Win7? Or edit some permissions? Some ideas? Anybody? If no one owned ukwxp here, you can download trial version from official website, then download latest patch witch will contain executable from full version. Just replace them. Lack of mechs and stages is not a problem since we want at least to run it and see the settings window...
Endymion
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby unauthorized » October 16th, 2009, 8:13 pm

I ran in the same error. Like any self respecting geek, my first reaction was to get the game through Olly and patch it to skip the check. 5 mins later, I had the game up and running. I'm linking it in the hope that I'm not violating any board rules (if so, please mod this post).

There are just two bytes difference from the original exe (fc or virus scan if you wish), so you can rest assured there are no viruses. Anyway, here's a Megaupload link: (removed)

Alternatively, fire up a hex editor and change 00008EF7h from EB to 74 in "game/windomxp.exe".

Edit: this .exe is for version 1.009. Don't try to plug it in another version!
unauthorized
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » October 17th, 2009, 7:54 am

unauthorized wrote:I'm linking it in the hope that I'm not violating any board rules (if so, please mod this post).

Does your patch only remove the registry check? In that case I guess it's ok to leave the hex instructions. I've removed the exe link though.

Unread postby unauthorized » October 17th, 2009, 10:55 am

Message wrote:Does your patch only remove the registry check? In that case I guess it's ok to leave the hex instructions. I've removed the exe link though.

Not exactly, but very similar. The patch only changes a conditional jump which would not fire off on error to an unconditional jump that will always fire off. It skips a the call to MessageBoxA function (which obviously displays the text error) and to a function within the executable, which terminates execution of the game. In short, the registry check is still being made, but the program will not take them into account. Like I said, it's a very hacky solution, but the game works fine without it on my machine.

Anyway, thanks for removing the link. :)
unauthorized
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby seanami » October 28th, 2009, 2:25 am

I am having trouble doing this, can you post more instructions.
seanami
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby kurdt_cobaiiiiiiiiin » October 31st, 2009, 12:36 am

unauthorized wrote:Alternatively, fire up a hex editor and change 00008EF7h from EB to 74 in "game/windomxp.exe".

Edit: this .exe is for version 1.009. Don't try to plug it in another version!

Er, how exactly is that accomplished? Kinda never used a hex editor, and something like this is important if I ever want to play again...
I went to address 00008ef7, and it was already 74. I changed it to eb and it still gave the same error. Changed it back to 74, again still getting error (obviously)
kurdt_cobaiiiiiiiiin
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ej- » November 3rd, 2009, 11:50 am

Or maybe change 00008f17-19 all into 90 (nop) to just prevent it quitting on this error.
You will see all the error dialogs (and the game crashes at quit on win7), but you still can play normally.
ej-
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby kurdt_cobaiiiiiiiiin » November 12th, 2009, 2:02 am

The problem with that is that it makes impossible to use controllers. Turns out UAC wasn't allowing me to save the modified .exe and didn't give me a dialog so I just assumed it didn't work. Saved the exe in a dif. folder and dragged it over, the first solution actually does work fine.
kurdt_cobaiiiiiiiiin
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ViperXtreme » December 18th, 2009, 9:29 am

recently tried installing it on Win7 also (64bit) and i also had the same errors, can't seem to fins that specific hex entry on the exe's :(
ViperXtreme
Might just like this board

Unread postby Endymion » December 19th, 2009, 3:17 am

hex thing works. verified. Thanks for sharing that info.
Endymion
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby creamcheese » December 27th, 2009, 10:05 am

Using the hex editor may potentially work for people on Windows 7. Here are my instructions on how I did it:
1. Make sure your game version is the latest: 1.009
2. Make sure the shortcut or .exe file is not being run in any compatibility mode (no idea if this has an effect on the exe changes, but turn it off just in case)
3. download and install HxD Hex Editor 1.7.7.0 from cnet (that's what i used and found the easiest to read)
4. on the hex editor menu File - Open - windomxp.exe
(TOUCH NOTHING ELSE ON THE MENU BARS, ex. keep it in ANSI and hex mode)
5. use the vertical scroll bar to go down to Offset 00008EF0
6. From there, follow straight over to column 07, and change the 74 to EB
7. If it's 74 already, you're either in the wrong Offset OR it's been like that so try changing to EB.
8. File - Save, close the editor, then try loading the game

I'm assuming the 00008EF7h unauthorized was referring to was the Offset since HxD lists them with lower case h, and the 7 was the column number, if not, then..........*runs away* but my game now works after all that.

Hope this helps any still in distress!
creamcheese
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby AEGISGUNDAM » May 6th, 2010, 5:26 am

Get the latest UKWXP version 2.004 w/ the Power Up Kit and It worked for me with 64bit or 32bit Windows 7 without any modding.
AEGISGUNDAM
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Atvaark » November 18th, 2011, 8:26 pm

ok. i have the official English version at 1.009. hex edited and it works on w7 64.
yes i bought it.
now there's a lot of people online hinting vaguely on getting the 2.004 or 2.008 patch working with the english version.
but no matter where i go, there's no simple guide on how to do it. even in this thread, the post above mine was about upgrading the game to 2.004.
so...how do i do it?
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Return to WindomXP Chat