Input on a UKWXP Wiki

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Input on a UKWXP Wiki

Unread postby Break » February 5th, 2009, 6:27 am

I've mentioned a couple of times that I'd do it, and so I will. However, there's a sliiiiiight snag.

No, it has nothing to do with my ability to write such a guide; that's just time-consuming, nothing more. My concern is over what method people would prefer for such a guide.

Allow me to clarify. My Bootfighter Windom wiki, while still being useful and as organized as it can be, is still a cluttered mess. Cramming all the info about the competitive aspects of the game into one page tends to do that, so instead of revising it for UKWXP (seeing as the old information is still applicable), I initially decided to just start up a new page on EditThis just for UKWXP.

Then the modders wanted in on the wiki page.

I didn't mind the fact that they wanted coverage - just not on the page meant for talk about the gameplay. I then realized that starting up an entirely new, whole, multiple-page-spanning wiki for Windom might be feasible - it separates the clutter, allows more content than just mutliplayer strategies, and still manages to centralize it all. Wikispaces wouldn't be a bad place to put it all; hey, who knows, people may prefer it this way.

So the question boils down to this: should I just start up a UKWXP page, or make a new, entire multipaged wiki for the community altogether? I'm only willing to do the latter if it, you know, actually gets some decent use, so that's my warning. I honestly don't care which way the decision swings: I can do the work either way. I just need to know what's better for everyone else first.

Pros and cons as far as I'm concerned:

* With a separate page, the information is more centralized; after all, it's all right there on a single page, no links or navigation required. This does lock out other options on the page, though, still forcing, say, the modders to work with a different page.

* With a full wiki, there's less centralization and more navigation necessary, but at least things will be tidy and better looking. This is better if people want to branch out - adding mods, pilots, translations, and whatever to the place - but if no one uses it, it's really more effort for a whole lot of nothing.

Anyway, your thoughts. I need them.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Re: Input on a UKWXP Wiki

Unread postby nobaka » February 5th, 2009, 8:11 pm

I think tidier with more navigation is better, but perhaps it'd be easier to start with a single page.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Porter » February 18th, 2009, 1:31 pm

UKWXP is the best. But very complex in some ways. Hope you can make a good wiki for us to learn and share our knowledge.
Porter
Totally hardly posted

Return to WindomXP Chat