Manual huh... I can attempt on that.
*****BOOTFIGHTER MECH MODDING MANUAL*****
You can only mod the mech only in the level of appearance (Mech Part Appearance and Color Scheme Only)
How to mix-up Bootfighter Mech Parts
(I think it was mentioned already but I will add some things too):
1. Go to the ROBO folder of your Bootfighter installation.
2. Now before you attempt to mess up the mech files, MAKE A BACKUP of your original files so you can undo your changes.
3. Choose a target mech for MODDING. For the serial numbers of the Bootfighters:
[KD-05] Whistler Windom XP
[KD-05_2] Whistler Windom XP Type-B
[KD-05_3] Whistler Windom XP SP3
[KD-06] Longhorn Windom Vista
[KD-06_0] Asteroid Windom 2k
[KD-06_2] Windom 2000 SP-1
[KD-07] Windom Blackcomb
[KD-07_2] Linux Black Selena
[KD-08] Linux Iris
[KD-08_2] Linux Cymbidium
[KD-08_3] Linux Anthurium
4. For appearance modding, only the .x files can be changed. Changing script files will create problems during gameplay (it crashes the game). Now identify the parts that compose the mech. I'll mention some common things:
head - the mech's head
arm1 - the mech's shoulder
arm2 - the mech's upper arm
arm3 - the mech's lower arm
hand - the mech's hand
body - the mech's upper body
body_d - the mech's lower body
leg1 - the mech's upper leg
leg2 - the mech's lower leg
leg3 - the mech's foot
legG - the mech's leg guard (the piece of armor protecting the groin)
gun - the mech's gun
sword - the mech's sword/sword handle
gun_dammy - the mech's gun when not in use
sword_dammy - the mech's sword when not in use
fannel - the mech's funnels/dragoons/bits WHEN LAUNCHED
root - the mech's COLOR SCHEME
Note: Some common conventions...
*Files with "_r" (Ex:arm1_r) in the filename means the right mech part, in this case, the right shoulder.
*Files with "_" (Ex:head_) in the filename means it is an UNUSED, ALTERNATE mech part in the game. You can use it by renaming without the "_".
This may not always be the files of a certain mech. For example, Windom 2000 SP1's sword files are named "katana" instead of "sword". You can identify a mech's certain part by:
a. Running Bootfighter Windom XP and going to the Mech Selection screen (Keep this game running!)
b. Renaming the .x files so that the game won't recognize the files (Just add a "_" at the end)
c. Refreshing the Mech appearance by deselecting and reselecting the said mech at the Mech Selection Screen
d. Finding the missing parts and associating it with the renamed file
5. The actual MODDING starts here. Replace the chosen .x file by copy-pasting from the other mech folders to your target mech folder. That's it. Again, you can preview the changes by refreshing its appearance in the Mech Selection Screen.
Note: Since these are all .x files, you can be creative and replace parts with more unlikely things (like replacing iris' crystals with slain mech heads LOL). It's all up to you to make your own badass-looking Bootfighter Mech MOD.
Well that's it for Bootfighter Mech MODDING. I'm looking forward to seeing new models from you soon! (My reaction for it: "Shingata ka?!"/"A new model?!")
Oh yeah, anything new you have found out that is not indicated in this post will be proven a valuable information, so share them to the people in this thread.