No more updates for the 'Free version of Bootfighter'

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Shinryu
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Shinryu » January 19th, 2009, 3:05 am

Just tested using Max Boost improving items; the items seem to take effect in all modes except for Local Battle, in which you don't even keep your custom colors. That's expected, I guess, since Local Battle let you use everything right from the start. Also, Online Battle has some interesting features now. It saves an EXP record with each Pilot Name you use, ranking you and your opponents anywhere from Novice Soldier to Field Marshal. There's also an interesting camera mode, which locks the camera wherever you were, letting you control it with the mouse while still fighting... It can be disorienting, though.

I was a bit surprised, the ranking actually stays pretty accurate to an army or air force ranking system. The manual didn't specify how much is required for each rank, just that your EXP is the score at the end of the battle +20000 if you win or -10000 if you lose. There's also a penalty for dropping out of a fight.

Novice Soldier
Private E-1
Private E-2
Private First Class
Corporal
Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Second Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
Brigadier General
Major General
Lieutenant General
General
Field Marshal

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 20th, 2009, 5:53 am

But until more people on this side of the globe start playing, it's gonna be tough as hell to play online.

I wonder if there's a way to change your teammates in Arcade mode? I'm so sick of having Iris shoot me with lasers from that damn circle.

sevalle
Might just like this board

Unread post by sevalle » January 20th, 2009, 6:36 am

Ranting time!!! :O

-It seems that melee attacks now don't home in on your opponent anymore after the first attack, from what I experienced the mechs continue their melee comboes in a straight line in the direction their facing after the first attack :(

-The CPU ally in Arcade mode is just plain dumb, all it does is backstab you when you're meleeing the opponent or act as cannon fodder for the opponent :evil:

-Are there S-rank items? All the items I've been getting are only A to D-rank, anyone can help clarify?

Shinryu
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Shinryu » January 20th, 2009, 6:56 am

sevalle wrote:-Are there S-rank items? All the items I've been getting are only A to D-rank, anyone can help clarify?
Yes, they're rare drops on Hard mode. I've only gotten them from the final stage, from 強化 mechs that show up rarely, and from beating Hard mode.

sevalle

Unread post by sevalle » January 20th, 2009, 7:11 am

hmm... can give examples of S-rank item stats? e.g. like i got an A-rank that gave +19 to ranged attack

Squall
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Squall » January 20th, 2009, 8:54 am

Shinryu wrote:
Rein wrote:Does anyone have the issue where none of the in-game characters appear as japanese but instead a something like f[Al8[\<& ? I've figured out what just about everything is but it would still make things like identifying items much easier if i could actually see the japanese and then translate it.
You have to change the system locale/region for non-Unicode programs to Japanese.
Anno, how do you do that?

Shinryu
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Shinryu » January 20th, 2009, 11:46 am

sevalle wrote:hmm... can give examples of S-rank item stats? e.g. like i got an A-rank that gave +19 to ranged attack
I have a Generator that gives +19 Boost Recovery and +18 Energy Recovery, a Generator that gives +17 Max Boost and +18 Max Energy, a Power that gives +16 Longe Range Attack and +18 Short Range Attack, another Power that gives +19 Long Range Attack and +20 Short Range Attack, a Brisingamen that gives +14 Short Range Attack, +14 Melee Defense, +10 Max Energy, and +14 Energy Recovery, and another Brisingamen that gives +13 Short Range Attack, +18 Melee Defense, +15 Max Energy, and +12 Energy Recovery.
Squall wrote:Anno, how do you do that?
Go into the Windows Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, and it should be the last tab in both XP and Vista.
Last edited by Shinryu on January 20th, 2009, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 20th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Shinryu wrote:
sevalle wrote:-Are there S-rank items? All the items I've been getting are only A to D-rank, anyone can help clarify?
Yes, they're rare drops on Hard mode. I've only gotten them from the final stage, from 強化 mechs that show up rarely, and from beating Hard mode.
I've only run into one of those 'special' hard ones. Occasionally there's the pink grunt, but he just drops multiple items (though he can drop as few as one).

I've got a whole bunch of S parts, since I basically only play on Hard. I've got one which gives 24 20 25 28, another gives about 20 19 18 18 17, and so on. I'd tell you exactly what they do, but I'd have to keep alt-tabbing to switch and look, so I'll just post caps. I have... uh, 17 S-ranked parts.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Shinryu
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Shinryu » January 20th, 2009, 11:35 pm

Hmm, seems like all the best stuff has some Norse name. Brisingamen, Hringhorni, Mjolnir...

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 20th, 2009, 11:54 pm

Shinryu wrote:Hmm, seems like all the best stuff has some Norse name. Brisingamen, Hringhorni, Mjolnir...
Well, yeah. It's Japan.

@Squall: Alternatively, you can use AppLocale, although the game may run slower. I have a shortcut to an AppLocale run UK just for item IDing.

sevalle

Unread post by sevalle » January 21st, 2009, 2:45 am

Does anyone know if you get to keep the items you picked up during a battle even if you lose that battle? Also, do you need to complete the arcade mode before all items you picked up are transferred to your inventory, or can you just quit once you get an item you want? Thx in advance.

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 21st, 2009, 3:13 am

sevalle wrote:Does anyone know if you get to keep the items you picked up during a battle even if you lose that battle? Also, do you need to complete the arcade mode before all items you picked up are transferred to your inventory, or can you just quit once you get an item you want? Thx in advance.
You do indeed keep them, even if you just shut down the game. However, you won't keep the items you got in that attempt if you close it in the middle of a round.

sevalle

Unread post by sevalle » January 21st, 2009, 3:19 am

hm... so that means if I get an S-rank item I must finish the round to keep the item, regardless whether I win or lose?

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 21st, 2009, 3:26 am

sevalle wrote:hm... so that means if I get an S-rank item I must finish the round to keep the item, regardless whether I win or lose?
Yeah. Just don't quit in the middle, and it's yours. That's one reason I have so many S-rank items. I was stuck on one stage on Hard with Vienna for like, 30 attempts.

sevalle

Unread post by sevalle » January 21st, 2009, 3:31 am

ok.... any tips on how to get S-rank items quickly? I'm just restarting stage 1 until I get to fight a buffed-up MS.... which is quite tedious :(

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 21st, 2009, 3:51 am

sevalle wrote:ok.... any tips on how to get S-rank items quickly? I'm just restarting stage 1 until I get to fight a buffed-up MS.... which is quite tedious :(
The later stages drop more items, and S-rank items can only be found in Hard mode (to my knowledge). It's much faster to actually just play the arcade modes rather than restart stages. More fun, too.

athos
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by athos » January 21st, 2009, 3:52 am

to get S-rank items, just play on hard mode but don't finish it. On the last stage, try to destroy as many enemies for their crystals w/o completing the stage, then lose so you can play on that stage again for another crystal harvest. Don't redo any other stages other than the last one 'cause they never seem to yield S-rank items.

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 21st, 2009, 3:54 am

athos wrote:to get S-rank items, just play on hard mode but don't finish it. On the last stage, try to destroy as many enemies for their crystals w/o completing the stage, then lose so you can play on that stage again for another crystal harvest. Don't redo any other stage other than the last one 'cause they never seem to yield S-rank items.
They do indeed have S-rank items. I've gotten 2 S-ranks on the first stage of a Hard mode run.

sevalle

Unread post by sevalle » January 21st, 2009, 5:40 am

Another question: where does ultimate knight keeps its save files? I don't wanna go through the whole unlocking process again if I have to reinstall the game >.<

Another question (2): anyone got to this weird last stage of arcade hard mode where your opponents are only 5 measly MS-98? I was like :shock:

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 21st, 2009, 6:07 am

sevalle wrote:Another question: where does ultimate knight keeps its save files? I don't wanna go through the whole unlocking process again if I have to reinstall the game >.<

Another question (2): anyone got to this weird last stage of arcade hard mode where your opponents are only 5 measly MS-98? I was like :shock:
It can be a pain in the ass. Well, if you're another grunt or something. Grenades everywhere is annoying.

I love my bazooka grunt. :')