No more updates for the 'Free version of Bootfighter'

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Siroh32
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Siroh32 » December 4th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Mkilbride wrote:20$ can buy alot better games.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Yes, I can't impose and argue my taste against yours, but Bootfighter Windom XP SP-2 is a lot reminiscent (if not an intentional clone, and I believe it to be) of the recent "Gundam vs. ____" arcade games like "Renpou vs. ZAFT" and "Gundam vs. Gundam," both of which are now on PSP and I bet more expensive. The gameplay--while still much different in controls and style--is still reminiscent of fun mecha games like Virtual-On, which I used to have played when I was young and was at a local theatre as an arcade to pop around $00.50 into and have fun with controlling two joysticks and mashing buttons.
Again, the advantages of BFW in my view was that it could run on low-end PCs and laptops, there were some forms of customization, and you can chat in BFW and play it online as I have. Sure, there was a lot of improvement to be done on that part, but I managed to have a lot of fun with playing this game with others. I don't think you can do that with official Gundam games or most any other recent game you might deem better than this or other similarly-built arcade games.
Given the price though, it certainly beats getting a PSP and one of the two listed games. I might consider getting it sometime, but not now.

Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Atvaark » December 5th, 2008, 9:02 pm

I'll gladly fork over that money for the game...but only if they fixed the god awful lagging issues the last free version suffered from. and of course we need to keep the option to slap in our own pilots.

Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Mkilbride » December 5th, 2008, 9:10 pm

If they have actual servers(Browser also), that'd be a nice perk. Connecting by IP is fine, but it'd be better to be worth money if they fixed it up.

Logtaga
Might just like this board

Unread post by Logtaga » January 8th, 2009, 1:21 am

found this video while viewing the official website showing just how awesome the sales version is compared to the free one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clY8NyaQkCs

I was like, wow.. they added some new moves there(I like the xp sp-3's new stab), also, this gives us a glance at the 2 new mechs(vienna looks so-damn cool!)

edit: i'm guessing that black millenium is the millennium type-b? it doesn't seem to have any significant difference from the original one, oh well.. its still cool :shock:

deadlylasers
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by deadlylasers » January 9th, 2009, 7:06 am

Oh wow, the game has a whole new look in the product version. Primula also looks pretty boss. It seems pretty worth it to buy.
Also, Vienna has a ridiculous curb stomp attack

abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by abscess » January 9th, 2009, 7:35 am

woah! Is it just me or there is MOAR epileptic seizure-esque coloring in the game? Anyway, looks good, but I doubt I'll pay for it, unless its quite cheap.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

AracnoX
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by AracnoX » January 10th, 2009, 11:23 pm

At least there's an english version coming soon.

Just check Y2K's site.

Logtaga

Unread post by Logtaga » January 11th, 2009, 4:45 am

Hangar system
wow, added customization options up to 10 colours per mech.. I'm starting to wish I could buy this game :(

BIG EDIT: lolololol found the trial version for "ultimate knight windom xp"!!1

HERE
(55mb)

READ FIRST: includes new map(s?), a somewhat new melee attack for windom vista(i dont know about the others) and a prettier interface other than that there's nothing else new here.

oh btw, survival & practice mode only playable here and you can only play 3 mechs(xp, vista & iris) *sad*

edit2: i'm trying to mix the files from bootfighter with this to see if i could use the other mechs

edit3: btw, this as well serves as the dl site(i think) to the sales version itself, the price is 3,150 yen

Siroh32
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Siroh32 » January 12th, 2009, 4:12 am

Seems the price is more than $20.00 in U.S. currency; about as expensive as some 1/100 MG Gundam models (or cheaper GFF figures like #0006). Not sure if it's more expensive than some of the other arcade-esque Gundam games for multiple consoles... I guess I'll try the trial for now; it looks nice at face value.

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » January 12th, 2009, 10:57 pm

I will buy this INSTANTLY if it gets translated. If they decide to scrap the translation, I'll still buy the Japanese version.

Shinryu
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Shinryu » January 13th, 2009, 1:07 am

I bought it the other day; it seems to be notably improved over the original. Arcade Mode is pretty nice; it's a 2 on 2 battle, and the conditions for victory vary; sometimes you just have to destroy each mech until it runs out of lives, of which each one has a preset amount, or you have a two bars representing both sides, and destroying a mech lowers your opponents bar. It also lets you play 2 players split screen, in case you don't trust your AI partner. You actually have to unlock the other frames now. You start out with MS-98, Windom XP Windom Vista, Windom 2K, Linux BlackSelena, and Linux Iris; so far, I only unlocked Windom BlackComb by beating Arcade Mode with Windom Vista.

Survival Mode, Team Battle Mode, and Blitz Tactics Mode are all pretty much the same. Only big difference to me is that there are 6 maps now, some were improved over there original versions and a couple new ones. You can choose what song you want to play, so you can put in any music you like as long as you have it as an OGG file.

In the Hangar, you can customize the frames a bit, but you have to unlock everything first. You have to unlock all the alternate colors, so so far I've only got a second color for Windom Vista. You can also equip items on each frame obtained in Arcade Mode, so you can help improve your preferred mech's weak stats or whatever.

No new pilot choices, so I need to get around to making one of my own. I think I'll try unlocking all the frames first, though; Linux Primula looks pretty interesting.

Logtaga

Unread post by Logtaga » January 13th, 2009, 1:19 am

^ I envy you. :(

Siroh32
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Siroh32 » January 13th, 2009, 2:52 am

I tried the trial version last night briefly, and played the rest of it today. Shinryu's the one to read though since he has the full version, and I'll give my two cents on it (quoting Shinryu's review here and there):
Shinryu wrote:Arcade Mode is pretty nice; it's a 2 on 2 battle, and the conditions for victory vary;

[...] or you have two bars representing both sides, and destroying a mech lowers your opponents bar.
Much like the Gundam arcade games (Fed vs. Zeon, AEUG vs. Titans, Omni vs. Zaft, etc.), or the freeware mech game "Silver Knights" (also a game that kind-of mirrors the gameplay of the Gundam arcade games).
Shinryu wrote:It also lets you play 2 players split screen, in case you don't trust your AI partner.
Again, like the Gundam arcade games. Also like BFW's prequel (at least I call it that), "Blue Heat." [YT Link]
Shinryu wrote:You actually have to unlock the other frames now. You start out with MS-98, Windom XP Windom Vista, Windom 2K, Linux BlackSelena, and Linux Iris; so far, I only unlocked Windom BlackComb by beating Arcade Mode with Windom Vista.
The demo/trial only has the XP, Vista, and Iris. I wish there was at least a single grunt or something, but oh well.

It'll be a while for me before I think about getting the full version, though. I'm tempted by the number of bells and whistles, but they're not a lot if a lot of what's presented in the freeware equivalent is still the bulk of the game (Online Competition especially). Although I have a feeling the following is (given the number of OGGs present in the trial version that isn't used), I still must ask: Is the Online Competition mode still a feature? Any more bells and whistles for it, if so?

Shinryu
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Shinryu » January 13th, 2009, 3:23 am

Siroh32 wrote:Much like the Gundam arcade games (Fed vs. Zeon, AEUG vs. Titans, Omni vs. Zaft, etc.), or the freeware mech game "Silver Knights" (also a game that kind-of mirrors the gameplay of the Gundam arcade games).
I've only played Federation vs. Zeon quite some time ago, but yeah, it is rather similar now that you mention it.
Siroh32 wrote:It'll be a while for me before I think about getting the full version, though. I'm tempted by the number of bells and whistles, but they're not a lot if a lot of what's presented in the freeware equivalent is still the bulk of the game (Online Competition especially). Although I have a feeling the following is (given the number of OGGs present in the trial version that isn't used), I still must ask: Is the Online Competition mode still a feature? Any more bells and whistles for it, if so?
Let's see...

Arcade Mode - 2 on 2, go through about 5 or 6 stages, supports split screen 2 player, three difficulty levels.
Survival Mode - 1 vs 2, fight until you run out of lives.
Practice Mode - Pretty much the same as before; beat up a dummy.
Team Battle Mode - Again, the same; lots of AI players going nuts and abusing their speaking abilities.
Blitz Tactics Mode - Map is different, but otherwise, same deal as before.
Hangar - Customize and look at the mechs.
Local Battle Mode - Set up a battle however you like with up to 4 players, human or otherwise. All mechs are available even if not yet unlocked, and you choose Survival or Cost Battle. Ratios for HP, Generator, and Cost are available.
Online Battle Mode - Up to 10 players, same options as before, though it seems like you can turn items on/off now. Unlike local, you can only use the mechs you've unlocked. You can choose Survival, Ambush Attack Battle, Time Survival, and Team Cost Battle. I don't recall if it did this before, but it lets you save a list of servers and names now; I feel like it only saved one before, but I don't recall.
Score Ranking - Arcade and Survival Modes records

I'm kinda wondering if the English version mentioned on the site will be separate or will be a part of the whole package later on, as each of the mechs have both Japanese and English text files for the character select screen already, but you only see the Japanese in the game.

Logtaga

Unread post by Logtaga » January 13th, 2009, 9:06 am

Shinryu, I was wondering if blitz tactics still has that heavy lag-problem like what we have in BFW

Shinryu
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Shinryu » January 15th, 2009, 5:03 am

Logtaga wrote:Shinryu, I was wondering if blitz tactics still has that heavy lag-problem like what we have in BFW
It seems about the same to me, based on what I remember. My frame rate normally stays around 60, but in Blitz Tactics Mode, it stays around 30 to 40 most of the time once the fighting begins; it'll drop to about 15 when an enemy is first loaded, but then jump back up after a second. It's better than Team Battle Mode, since there the AI is spamming its voice commands. This was at highest settings at 1680x1050 in full screen mode; trying lowest settings at 1024x768 improved it slightly, but nothing significant enough for me to want to play on lower settings, though the interface looks more natural at a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Edit:

Just a few things to add. Having paid more attention this time, Arcade Mode is 5 levels long. Colors for mechs are obtained the same way as items; a diamond shaped object will sometimes appear after destroying a mech. You also get 2 items for clearing Arcade Mode; maybe it's only 2 because I'm still playing on Easy. It seems like the levels are somewhat adjusted depended on which frame you pick. The Final Stage for Millennium was much harder for me than the Final Stage for MS-98; seems like 2 XP SP3s make a better team than a BlackComb and BlackSelena. In fact, those SP3s showed me that Arcade Mode has continues, so you can try again rather than start over from the first stage.

So far the unlocking seems rather logical.
MS-98 unlocks Millennium
Millennium unlocks Millennium-R
Windom Vista unlocks Windom BlackComb

Seem to be 4 classes of items, rated A through D at the start of the items names (Though I've yet to encounter B or C?). The A items seem several times better than D, and of course, much less common. Items with the same name don't necessarily have the same stats. Not sure if there is a limit, but the game lets you delete items you don't want, as each item has a separate entry even if they're exactly the same.

One thing that caught my attention this time was a "Rare Millennium" I encountered going through Arcade Mode with Millennium. It appeared as an extra enemy in one of the stages, and its life didn't impact the enemy team. However, it did drop 3 items for defeating it. Here's a video of the encounter; it didn't seem any stronger than normal, though.

Logtaga

Unread post by Logtaga » January 16th, 2009, 1:43 am

I noticed you mentioned something about items, are they equipments? potions?(or something like that) or something you could use to customize your mech? I'm really curious to know what new stuff they added to the sales version, but unfortunately, I cant afford to buy it since i dont work yet :(

Shinryu
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Shinryu » January 16th, 2009, 3:25 am

Logtaga wrote:I noticed you mentioned something about items, are they equipments? potions?(or something like that) or something you could use to customize your mech? I'm really curious to know what new stuff they added to the sales version, but unfortunately, I cant afford to buy it since i dont work yet :(
You collect items in Arcade Mode, and you can equip them on your frames in the Hangar. Every frame has four slots to equip items. Power items increase your different attack types (Bullets, beams, melee), Defense improves your defense against attack types, and Generator improves your boost or energy recovery time. They're ranked A through D, with A ranked items being significantly better than D; an A ranked Generator may give +15 Boost recovery and +13 Energy recovery, while a D class Generator might just give +5 Boost recovery. As far as I can tell, there is no visible difference in the frame after equipping items. You have one pool of items for all your frames, so if you equip a part on one mech, you'd have to unequip it from that mech before placing the item on a different one.

Logtaga

Unread post by Logtaga » January 16th, 2009, 3:44 am

You collect items in Arcade Mode, and you can equip them on your frames in the Hangar. Every frame has four slots to equip items. Power items increase your different attack types (Bullets, beams, melee), Defense improves your defense against attack types, and Generator improves your boost or energy recovery time. They're ranked A through D, with A ranked items being significantly better than D; an A ranked Generator may give +15 Boost recovery and +13 Energy recovery, while a D class Generator might just give +5 Boost recovery. As far as I can tell, there is no visible difference in the frame after equipping items. You have one pool of items for all your frames, so if you equip a part on one mech, you'd have to unequip it from that mech before placing the item on a different one.
I see, pretty much like the megamanX series(i love that game <3)

Edit: thanks :D

athos
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by athos » January 17th, 2009, 12:45 am

Anyone knows how to unlock Vienna? So far i've unlocked most mechs, except millennium-R and vienna. Linux primula, unlocked with cymbidium, is alot similar to iris, except she can "transform" to ride on her broom :D I also got a bunch of A items, but I cant read jap so I have no idea what they do.