No more updates for the 'Free version of Bootfighter'

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

No more updates for the 'Free version of Bootfighter'

Unread postby Rockfire » November 16th, 2008, 4:50 pm

You read correctly folks, YSK has started work on a retail version of the game. (Whether or not it will follow most of the other commercial games like exteel, is yet to be seen.)

A friend pointed out that a user on YSK's official forum said.

Source: http://hpcgi3.nifty.com/alexholth/patio/read.cgi?no=133 (Scroll down)

There is no update for free version any longer
The author is producing the sales version now

This statement is proven somewhat by the fact YSK has setup another website with the title "Ulitmate Knight Windom XP"

Source: http://homepage3.nifty.com/alexholth/ukwindomxp/

Although this saddens me a little, I would happily pay for an update of this awesome game.

What do you guys think?
Ultimate Knight Project(s):
SFX: Gundam Overload V2.4
Pilot(s): Leo Stenbuck, Dingo Egret.
Rockfire
Might just like this board

Unread postby Samor » November 16th, 2008, 5:16 pm

a simple google translate of the forum on the "old" site confirms the new version will be sold.

Dunno WHERE, though, but hopefully we can get our hands on it in the west.

New mechs are Windom Vienna (looks cool) and (linux?) Primula (looking somewhat similar to Iris but with a large pointy hat).
Also new stages showing a moon(?) and a city with larger buildings, surrounded by mountains.

The new site is rather unfinished, but you can find some screenshots and the list of mechs.
Samor
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Gundam000 » November 16th, 2008, 8:01 pm

So now we have to pay or buy the game to be able to use the new stages and mechs?
Gundam000
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Rockfire » November 16th, 2008, 9:16 pm

No idea, but I think we'll have to buy the game. "But" if theirs no need for you to connect to an official server for bootfighter, there is another way. :wink:
Ultimate Knight Project(s):
SFX: Gundam Overload V2.4
Pilot(s): Leo Stenbuck, Dingo Egret.
Rockfire
Might just like this board

Unread postby Break » November 16th, 2008, 11:00 pm

Well, this shoots down any possibility of TDS getting permission to make modifications to the free game, which is the biggest downfall. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play the new version sometime, then.

It's sad that the game isn't fully polished yet. I wouldn't consider it to be a quality paid game even with the proposed modifications - there's simply a lot moe that have to be done before it's worth it, first.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Siroh32 » November 17th, 2008, 12:48 am

*sigh* Well, unless it's a one-time, very-cheap price, then my considerations for another mecha game would be:

1. The Japanese-only GameCube version of "Gundam vs. Z Gundam" (I have a GameCube).
2. "Renpou vs. ZAFT" or "Gundam vs. Gundam" for the PSP (I would need a PSP first).

Or just not bother. Because from what I can tell from videos, Bootfighter Windom XP SP-2 is essentially a cheap knockoff of the "Gundam vs. _____" game; specifically "Renpou vs. ZAFT" I believe. Compare the Blitz Tactics or that online Intercept (or whatever it's called) game type to the following YT video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJaArxSmKJ4

You're still shooting mecha and a battleship in gameplay very similar and guaranteed to be pretty fluid without much slowdowns to a crawl. I was patient enough for freeze-ups and three-frames-per-second gameplay online because it was online gameplay and you could play with friends and taunt each other with custom pilot mods. You could tinker with the sound and play your own music or none at all.

There were some good things BFW had that the real thing didn't that I liked (online gameplay, some limit of customization, some chatting. the very fact that it was free and for the PC), but when any and all servers that were available for online BFW gameplay are now gone (Wormhole just went offline for some reason a couple days back and while Twilight is up for now [link], it has been shaky) and the customization about as (or more) limited as (or than) the inferior-but-still-fun Silver Knights game [Wiki], there's basically no reason to play the game for me anymore. The mecha are cheap knockoffs of the mecha we love, there's not much to play, 90% of the time on any given available server (if we're lucky) nobody's on (let alone anyone likable, such as most anyone here)... It just makes more sense to pick up any given official Gundam game that's decent or good (or Macross or Another Century's Episode or Virtual-On game) and play it. If not now, then at least soon there will be more going for it. If I'm wrong, maybe I'll not go cheap and see if I can find a way to get a copy of the retail version of BFW. Until then, I'm probably not going to go for it.
Siroh32
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Break » November 17th, 2008, 8:02 am

Samor wrote:New mechs are Windom Vienna (looks cool) and (linux?) Primula (looking somewhat similar to Iris but with a large pointy hat).
Also new stages showing a moon(?) and a city with larger buildings, surrounded by mountains.

There's one more - apparently, the Millennium-B.

I do not have a lot of faith in this mech if Mill-R is to be considered.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Siroh32 » November 18th, 2008, 4:09 am

Well, though it didn't say much for my skill, I think Savkun once almost beat me with a Mill-R when I had a Mill. I was grenade-reliant and all my bullets were vaporized to hell when he tried attacking me from a ways away (but not long-range). The Mill-R isn't so bad if you're using it for appropriate situations. Yes, it's not the normal Mill where you can use it as a grenade launcher and suicide mech (or anti-BlackComb mech).

But in spite of having reservations about the retail version for reasons above, I noticed the Mill-B and I wonder what's going to be special about it. It seems to have a (slightly) different appearance though. Maybe I should check my eyes, but I would wait until they're done with this and the YouTube/[Insert Video Website Here] videos come out.
Siroh32
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Break » November 18th, 2008, 5:36 am

Not sure if I'd call Mill an anti-Blackcomb mech, but eh.

Thing is, being grenade-reliant's pretty much the textbook thing to do from what I've seen of the people who play the grenadiers. Mill's grenades are much better that Mill-R's, so it was a good idea to stick to him and attack with those.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Siroh32 » November 18th, 2008, 7:12 am

Break wrote:Not sure if I'd call Mill an anti-Blackcomb mech, but eh.

Thing is, being grenade-reliant's pretty much the textbook thing to do from what I've seen of the people who play the grenadiers. Mill's grenades are much better that Mill-R's, so it was a good idea to stick to him and attack with those.

Well, I managed to take out a BC user (online... I think the player was named DeadlyLasers). Not at least that time but when the BC can't defend against projectile weaponry and the best the Mill has is a combo of short-range grenade attacks and longer-ranged bullets, with some skill it can be quite the anti-BC mech. I view the XP Type-B similarly as well, but I never was effective in that mech.

Mill-R I've used before because of the beam rifle as it doesn't vaporize upon another beam's impact and can arc, unlike bullets. But I've mainly (in recent months) taken the Mill-Nil (my nickname for the regular run-of-the-pun-alert-mill Mill) out for a spin and appreciate the grenades more as you really do tend to be reliant on them at close range. I was in any of the Mills and with MS-98. Add to that they're a good break-off from melee mechs that try to try and hit a home run (SP-3) or practice their Darth Maul choreography (Selena) or something.
Siroh32
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Break » November 18th, 2008, 7:58 am

Dealing with grenades was pretty much a non-issue for me when I faced players who used the grenadiers - staying at a higher altitude makes it so that the grenadiers have to get closer in order for their best attack to connect. Baiting the throw works, too, so there's that to watch out for.

Bullets are a bit strange - they're not any better or worse than lasers, merely different. Yes, they get canceled by other weapons and don't home, but they have this nice semi-lockdown effect that I found pretty useful, and fly faster. That said, I think Mill benefits most from a machine gun.

BC doesn't defend against projectiles in the traditional sense of blocking - you avoid damage most of the time through flying, anyway, so that suffices. BlackComb's very weird - in the theoretical, anything that doesn't rely on lasers should be able to go toe-to-toe with it, whether by having live ammunition or a strong melee presence, but in practice, this is pretty hard to accomplish, from what I've seen. BlackComb has no reason to be anywhere but medium range, and is actually pretty good at deterring people from getting close and playing keepaway; any wrong moves when approaching is asking for a superlaser to the face. The only halfway-reliable methods I know of is to bait the superlaser - very risky, but golden if it works - or get it to block lasers (and therefore stop it from moving) long enough for you to close. Otherwise, it just flies away and takes advantage of its above-average energy gauge, and the whole process starts all over again. It's really frustrating.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Formless » November 18th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Lol @ dev
I'm going to pirate the full release anyways so don't expect to generate too much revenue.

User was banned for this post
Violation of Rule #2
-TheXev
Formless
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby LavaBall » November 18th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Right, Where can I buy this or download a demo of this new patch?
LavaBall
Addict

Unread postby Samor » November 18th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Formless wrote:Lol @ dev
I'm going to pirate the full release anyways so don't expect to generate too much revenue.

one person can make or break a game ;)

but, seriously....piracy is common, not limited to one person.
However, there's a chance distribution of the commercial version will be limited to Japan, in which case it doesn't matter if you pirate it or not. Unless you're from Japan...
Samor
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Break » November 18th, 2008, 10:30 pm

*cough*

Don't be stingy with the release. I have my doubts that importing will be much of an option, anyway.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Formless » November 18th, 2008, 10:34 pm

Samor wrote:

one person can make or break a game ;)

but, seriously....piracy is common, not limited to one person.
However, there's a chance distribution of the commercial version will be limited to Japan, in which case it doesn't matter if you pirate it or not. Unless you're from Japan...
You think them Japs won't pirate? Well, think again.

User was banned for this post and others
Violation of Rule #2
-TheXev
Formless
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 18th, 2008, 10:39 pm

Not what he meant. It'll be in Japanese, is all. Really depends if anyone would make a English Translation of it.

As others have said, Bootfighter is fun, but to me it's a "I have nothing to do at all, I'm so bored I could shoot myself" type of game. Paying even 5-10$ seems ABIT much for it. At least the current version feels horrific. Exteel is a pretty good Mech game, with a buttload more Polish and it's free.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Break » November 18th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Formless wrote:You think them Japs won't pirate? Well, think again.

I think the doubt is whether or not we can find it, not quite if they will pirate it to begin with. There is reason for doubt, though - I'm not sure if the game has enough recognition for such a thing to happen. Falling through the cracks is a fair point.

I dunno, though. Is pirating these sorts of games common for them?
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 18th, 2008, 11:06 pm

I've seen a Pac Man game cracked before...so maybe?
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Peorth » November 18th, 2008, 11:30 pm

People, read the bloody rules, no discussion of warez/etc on this board, thank you.

(And yes, I *am* a mod, and I will not hesitate to lock this thread/have users banned if it goes to that direction any further.)
A battle has been fought, and is now over.
Place your sword upon the ground, and rest in the temporal peace.
After dozing in the warmth of a dream, a new day will begin.
The days keep passing by..
And we still chase the same star we once saw.
Peorth
Official Curry-butt lover

Next

Return to WindomXP Chat