Control Issue

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Control Issue

Unread postby Sprawly241 » October 28th, 2008, 5:45 am

I decided that I like using a PSX controller that I wired up to my parallel port for this game, tho there is a minor drawback, and I was wondering if anyone else using a controller had the same issue.

My movement controls (ie: Up, Down, Left, Right) periodically switch from the digital pad to the left analog stick. Comments, thoughts, ideas on how to fix?
Sprawly241
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Break » October 28th, 2008, 3:41 pm

It sounds like an issue with the button that switches between analog and digital control, honestly.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Sprawly241 » October 31st, 2008, 5:50 am

Actually I'm not sure if its a design in the driver I'm using or what, but that button doesn't light up the same way on the actual psx. It only lights up when I push it, and in the windows game pad window shows that it isn't connected as long as that button is pressed. , theres an option in control calibration/configuration menu to make the direction pad either an axis or regular buttons. but that doesn't seem to effect windom.
Sprawly241
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby AlextheLazy » October 31st, 2008, 7:40 am

hmmm I am trying to replicate your problem but I can't seem to, can you give anymore details

is this only happening with bootfighters
AlextheLazy
Might just like this board

Unread postby Sprawly241 » October 31st, 2008, 8:23 pm

Its a Dualshock one controller, wired up to plug into the parallel port, using the psxpad driver. It does it in any of the axis controls, and bootfighter is the only game i have installed that i could use a controler with. myother games are just VNs and Starcraft.
Sprawly241
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Hoshikami » October 31st, 2008, 9:07 pm

Things like this tend to have silly solutions~

I offer you one:

Make sure your controls aren't assigned to the same button/key. Keep them all different, and see if you can keep them from meshing with the keyboard controls. Ya'know how using a controller is, essentially, just a fancy way to use the buttons on your keyboard? Yea, make sure they don't clash or mix.

Like if you have W assigned to forward on your keyboard, but a different button assigned to forward for your controller, I got a hunch it will try to use both and make you switch between the two.

I hope that was clear... >.<
Hoshikami
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Sprawly241 » November 1st, 2008, 2:40 am

Tho I would probably agree with you in other situations, I have yet to find anyway to change the directional controls on the keyboard. Actually, I'm pretty sure its impossible without hacking into the game. In fact in the key config menu, it seems that the game recognizes the axis controls seperate from the buttons. Didn't even have an option to map movement controls, it was just kinda, inherent to the game and controller.

At this point I think it may just be confusing the different axis together. From that, it sounds like a driver issue, but seeing as this is a mostly customized controller that when manufactured was never intented to be used for pc, drivers are limited, and OLD as far as i can tell. I think the last development for it was back in '03 ish.

The current Driver I'm using is PSXpad. I know there's direct pad pro, but i can't figure out how to even get that installed, as it was designed when Windows XP didn't even exist.

So I'm not sure if I just answered my own question or not, but I'm at a loss of what to do now.

If I knew how the game actually internally maps out controls, how the key configure works and why they won't let you change the directional controls, it may shine a light on this, but that would mean that someone, whether its myself or another, needs to hack into the game code. And that's an adventure by itself.
Sprawly241
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby AlextheLazy » November 1st, 2008, 3:56 am

I'm using a PSX Dualshock via a USB adapter so the drivers I'm using won't work for you ...

try using NTPAD that should fix it
AlextheLazy
Might just like this board

Unread postby Sprawly241 » November 1st, 2008, 5:55 am

So, I tried that, and anytime I tried to open windom or the game controllers under the control panel, it immediately rebooted my computer....so I uninstalled it and it stopped doing that.

That has me confused...
Sprawly241
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Break » November 1st, 2008, 6:52 am

Maybe try using Joy2Key?
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Return to WindomXP Chat