Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Issues Setting Up A Server

Unread postby TheMoogleking » October 26th, 2008, 9:55 pm

I looked up what to do and I did it in this order:

1. Boot up Server.exe
2. Create room in Mercury.
3. Open WindomXP
4. Go to "Online Contest Mode" (running v 1.030)
5. Put MY IP as address.
6. Enter pilot/mech/name
7. Hit "Login"

My room doesn't show up, under Mercury it just says "Not Connected".

Help ;_;
TheMoogleking
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TheMoogleking » October 26th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Also, I tried opening ports or whatever, but it asked me to put something in a "Description" box and all I had under "Add Port..." was "Name" and "Port Number". Only 2 boxes, when the how-to guide said I should have 4 <_>

Does it matter that I'm using a wireless connection?
TheMoogleking
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Hoshikami » October 26th, 2008, 11:09 pm

That is odd... you should be able to connect to yourself, open ports or not.

Make sure you never exit out of server.exe, make sure you got the IP address just right. (Might not work if it is a dynamic IP address)

As for the port thing, don't worry about what the name and description is, just open up ports 2123 to 2128 and 3123 to 3128.
Yea, it may take a bit of time, but it should work. Also, check your firewall~
Hoshikami
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TheMoogleking » October 26th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Hoshikami wrote:That is odd... you should be able to connect to yourself, open ports or not.

Make sure you never exit out of server.exe, make sure you got the IP address just right. (Might not work if it is a dynamic IP address)

As for the port thing, don't worry about what the name and description is, just open up ports 2123 to 2128 and 3123 to 3128.
Yea, it may take a bit of time, but it should work. Also, check your firewall~
I opened them and hit OK, but as soon as I opened the menu again they weren't there...could you walk me through the port thing? Sorry -.-

And I never exited out of server.exe. I also have my exact IP address in the box, I checked several different places.

And it shouldn't matter if I'm using a wireless connection?

Only other thing I can think of is that I have 2 versions of Windom installed in separate directories, 1.028 and 1.030...
TheMoogleking
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Hoshikami » October 27th, 2008, 12:57 am

No, I use wireless and it works fine, so it shouldn't matter.

The windom directories also shouldn't effect each other...

As for the ports, it sounds like you got it right. Click Add and put in the ports one at a time. It doesn't matter what the description or name is, but just to be safe, try making them all have the same.

But, honestly, I don't think that is important. I could connect to myself before I opened my ports, and that's what confuses me.

Sorry, I don't think I can help. Maybe it is something minor, like your not putting a period between the numbers or something. Sorry again... Best of luck~<3
Hoshikami
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TheMoogleking » October 27th, 2008, 1:19 am

Hoshikami wrote:No, I use wireless and it works fine, so it shouldn't matter.

The windom directories also shouldn't effect each other...

As for the ports, it sounds like you got it right. Click Add and put in the ports one at a time. It doesn't matter what the description or name is, but just to be safe, try making them all have the same.

But, honestly, I don't think that is important. I could connect to myself before I opened my ports, and that's what confuses me.

Sorry, I don't think I can help. Maybe it is something minor, like your not putting a period between the numbers or something. Sorry again... Best of luck~<3
-.- I copied and pasted it like 30 times.

Let me try with my antivirus off later and I'll let you know. Anyone else who can help is appreciated.
TheMoogleking
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TheMoogleking » October 27th, 2008, 2:15 am

Added all ports as exceptions and they stuck, still no dice.

It says to put it in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx format, but sometimes it'll only have 2 numbers in between dots. Do I mark any empty space with anything?

Oh, and does it matter which program I start first? Server.exe or Windom?
TheMoogleking
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Break » October 27th, 2008, 8:44 pm

It's fine if there's just two or one numbers between dots. Just type in the IP as it is, without spaces or anything. Server.exe is usually started first, but the order doesn't matter, as long as you connect after the server's up. Other than that, your process in the very first post is correct.

That said, I use Hamachi to avoid these sorts of problems. Run Hamachi, set up the server using your Hamachi IP, tell the players to join the network and connect to your Hamachi IP, and enjoy.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby TheMoogleking » October 28th, 2008, 1:17 am

K, I downloaded Hamachi and now I can join my own server. Problem is, other people can't. I gave them my Hamachi IP and my game still isn't showing up for them.

Do they have to forward their ports in order to join me? Or anything else I'm not aware of?

Ohhh, nvm. They have to join my Hamachi network first. I'll fix that up.
Last edited by TheMoogleking on October 28th, 2008, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMoogleking
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Break » October 28th, 2008, 2:11 am

Other people have to download Hamachi as well, and join your network. They keep Hamachi running as they join the server through your Hamachi IP and play.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Cloudsdabomb » December 31st, 2008, 6:24 am

if ur running on a server like windows server edition 2003 u have to set it in a certain way. im using my 2003 server w/ just an hamachi network and making more networks how it is
Cloudsdabomb
Totally hardly posted

Return to WindomXP Chat