Windom XP: What would you change?

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Break » November 1st, 2008, 6:29 pm

StrikeZero wrote:hmmz well but in the anime they choose to do melee ..... they can dodge and shoot forever .... but when they are close they choose to melee cuz it does more damage .....
i wouldnt remove melee but i would make it so that if you hit a melee on a certain piece of armor it gets destroyed right away unless its a shield ...
this will make melee very powerfull but we cant make it too easy ....
as for boosting towards someone with melee jeeez stop bringing up such a lame excuse ...
everyone has guns .... so if they choose to dash towards someone with melee while he is shooting well thats ur own dumb fault lol ..
and another reason is that i suggested to take out the all seeing eye of the radar and make people in line of sight only pop onto the radar ...
so that you can use the buildings to hide and launch a surprise attack from below or whatever ....
(thus making melee a strong surprise attack ;) wich can own anyone in a second if done properly .. )
and tbh a game isnt supposed to be easy ..... otherwise there would be no point in playing it ..
as the game is now it more like a smash your keyboard insane and pray u get the last hit ....

I honestly don't really care what happens in any anime, as I'm more interested in this game for its mechanics rather than the pretty skin that lies over them. I never suggested boosting towards someone directly, as that's arguably the worst form of approach even with the game as it stands.

Second, I didn't suggest making the game easy. It's simply good design to make sure this kind of stalling isn't possible. Matches would simply take forever if you can boost around, shoot at the same time, and block indefinitely, especially considering that you'd almost never have line of sight to the opponent in three out of the four stages. You want to have opportunities in which the opponent is open sometime so the match actually progresses - allowing for too many effective forms of defense will slow the match to a crawl.

Third, I seriously object to the game being called a keyboard smasher. Bootfighter is largely about timing and evaluating attacks when it comes to actually landing them - you won't land them unless the angle is just right, or the engines are cut, or they're somehow open in other ways, etc. With unlimited boosts, moving is always a good idea, and shields are always available. There's literally no reason why someone would stay still and leave themselves open to any form of surprise attack if you can run forever at absolutely no cost to your offense. This is primarily why melee would fail in the theoretical new version of the game, because the element of surprise wouldn't exist. No one can actually close to take advantage of the element of surprise, because there's no way to catch up like engine cutting would provide.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby AlextheLazy » November 1st, 2008, 8:37 pm

You know what be really awesome a outer space stage

and a low grav stage like the moon
AlextheLazy
Might just like this board

Unread postby StrikeZero » November 2nd, 2008, 3:29 am

believe me people will stand still .... it always happens ... i catch myself doing it ...
so tbh there wont be anyone who is gonna move constantly over or across the lvl ;)
as for shielding well make them able to catch a certain amount of damage and then explode or something ...
and if people perform a certain skill theyre standing still wich is a perfect moment to strike :P
i know some people like it how it is atm but tbh i think the theoretical version i suggest will be much more
played and its more accessable to other people ...
also it allows for better control to where you go and fly ...
for example when i transform 1 of the suits into a plane i cant really decently fly around a building with it
with mouselook/aim it would be possible :P

ahh well guess not all will agree on this idea but hey they got their opinion and i got mine :P
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Formless » November 3rd, 2008, 11:42 pm

Nerf BlackComb asap. Either give it a damage nerf or nerf it's lockdown range so you can't just spam lasers, funnels, or the trap laser across the map all the time.
Formless
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby 04-Leonhardt » November 5th, 2008, 12:25 am

I think that the whole infinite boost thing is alot of crap. Sure, it would be nice, but then no one could melee. if you see someone coming towards you with Laserblade raised, you boost away. and the Mechs are fast enough as it it is to easily dodge any suprise attack. What I think should happen is that the booster output and generator condenser capacity should be noticably changed between each mech. like the MS-98 has a high speed booster, due to it's light weight, but a low condenser cap, due to being low tech. On the other hand, the BlackComb should have a low speed booster, but with efficient performance, and a higher condenser capacity. And balanced mechs like Vista and Asteroid 2K should be balanced between speed and condenser cap. But but blade focused mechs like the Cymbidium and SP3 should have both a high boost speed and high condenser cap, for getting close for melee.

Also, the aiming, I still like my idea of point and lock with the mouse. And I certainly do not want Bootfighter to be changed to an FPS. just use the mouse to find a target, not affecting your view, and press the lock button simple, yet effective, and not game changing.
Go! Giant Fighting Robot!

f you are of the 3% of american children who has played an Armored Core game, put this in your sig.
04-Leonhardt

Unread postby AEGISGUNDAM » November 5th, 2008, 1:55 am

Yah, I agree with Savkun I would like to see a variety of different playing fields, one of them would be fighting in space and maybe some asteroids floating around. If anyone had ever played Silver Knights they have a space, shoreline, desert, snow mountain, a city and forest levels, I would actually like to see a bigger assault ship that you can launch from.

I would like to see a VS mode, not like the team mode but more like a 3on 3 and be able you can choose your Computer allies/enemies.

With the Windoms I would like to be able to customize the color scheme and weapons, another thing is to able to block without using up your boost.

I don't like the idea point and click with a mouse, I rather it stay the way it is, controllers I believe are more suitable.
AEGISGUNDAM
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby StrikeZero » November 5th, 2008, 8:55 am

04-Leonhardt wrote:I think that the whole infinite boost thing is alot of crap. Sure, it would be nice, but then no one could melee. if you see someone coming towards you with Laserblade raised, you boost away. and the Mechs are fast enough as it it is to easily dodge any suprise attack.

man you people are still coming up with the same retarded arguments ..... offcourse someone is gonna boost away from someone dashing towards him with a melee weapon ....
and you guess what .... YES YOU DID WRONG .... as he saw you coming wich is your stupid fault lol ...
in general a surprise attack is 1 where the victim doesnt see you ;) just to let you know haha
and dont give me the lockon crap argument as i said that would be changed as well ...
as for radar yeah lets just disable that crappy feature to a limited amount lets say up close u get a warning beep or something but if you dont
react in like a second ur too late :P

04-Leonhardt wrote:Also, the aiming, I still like my idea of point and lock with the mouse. And I certainly do not want Bootfighter to be changed to an FPS. just use the mouse to find a target, not affecting your view, and press the lock button simple, yet effective, and not game changing.

hmmz maybe go play an rpg lolz .... like final fantasy or such even the lockon we have now is much better than your suggestion
cuz we now use 2 hands 1 for movement other1 for attack so where do you see the mouse coming into use ?

and it would become a 3rd person shooter and not a FPS .... jeez lol talking bout wrong terms :P
the game would become fast and it takes way more skill to aim and shoot and predict where lasers will hit then to time a button push ...
this way the game is too much kiddie-style .... meaning you cant wtfpwn someone just because its all made too easy to hit someone
and tbh after a fight with someone decent and you win you wont have much hp left aka 1 shot xD lolz

thats why 3rd person shooters/melee's are way more fun as it allows more playerskill instead of easymode ....
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby 04-Leonhardt » November 5th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Well you dont need to get all butthurt about it. I was just saying. And it's not a stupid argument, your ideas would drastically change the game, and I dont think YSK has any intention of doing that just yet. Again, these are just opinions that dont even really matter, so there's no reason to get so defensive. Sure infinite boost would be nice, but it would detract certain nuances from the game. this game is supposed to be an homage to Gundam arcade style games. I ask you, In ANY of those games do you have infinite boost?

Now being able to run faster is a totally different story. Something like if you walk in a certain direction, then press "Shift" you will start to run. mostly for getting places, you cant attack with ranged weapons while running. And basic jumping would be nice too, just to get you into the air and at near maximum vertical ascent speed before you actually begin to boost.

f you are of the 3% of american children who has played an Armored Core game, put this in your sig.
04-Leonhardt

Unread postby Ianator » November 5th, 2008, 10:19 pm

That Run feature would be nice, but maybe just have it activate itself when you're running for like two seconds. Mainly because I'm out of buttons on my controller... :P
Ianator
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby 04-Leonhardt » November 5th, 2008, 10:55 pm

that's a good idea, and also after you dash you could keep running.

Maybe a color select system for practice-blitz tactics modes.

And a story mode with tanks and stuff as enemies and Linux mechs as bosses, and a final fight with a super BlackComb.

and a way to choose your target in practice modes and general difficulty levels for survival.

04-Leonhardt

Unread postby StrikeZero » November 6th, 2008, 11:08 am

well not butthurt but every time people come up with "when i dash with melee towards someone shooting"
becomes a bit annoying :P
well yes i know this game has been made after the arcade version of the gundam games ...
but the topic says what would you change :P
and as homage to the gundam series i would really like it that there is a game out there
where you can actually do almost the same as in the series/movie
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Break » November 6th, 2008, 6:45 pm

You want to make melee more powerful. You want unlimited boosts. You want surprise attacks. I am telling you that this is not feasible with the way you present it. I cannot make this any clearer - with all of those factors combined, there is no reason to stay still because you don't want to be open to a surprise attack to begin with.

Unless the opponent is the rawest of newcomers, no one is going to stay still, and there will be no surprise attacks. It's that simple. Approaching for melee is unviable because there is no way to catch up - after all, there is no reason to ever stop moving, regardless of whether or not the opponent see the person making the attempt, and therefore melee is useless.

No one is suggesting charging in directly like an idiot. Melee requires approach, and there's no way to do that with unlimited boost in play.

Unless you can address that, we don't really have anything further to discuss.

Not to mention that there are other problems, like the fact that weapons exist that are meant to be fired without line of sight (drone lasers and Anthurium's penetrating shot).

Finally, it doesn't matter whether we used the wrong term - the point is, it would change the nature of the game completely. Just because the game does not test the different skills that you want it to test does not mean the game requires less skill in general, period. I would appreciate that such accusations of the game requiring less skill just stop, with that in mind.
Sapere aude.
Break
Addict

Unread postby Rockfire » November 7th, 2008, 12:37 am

Thing's I would change... well for starters I want each mech to have its own sound file's as hearing the same sound effects for each mech is a annoying, especially when modding. Example, You want this uber perfect sound for this one thing, but this sound also effects other things that are usually none related to the actual type of sound you wanted... So, you have to take into account for theses and thus lowering the sound quality as a result.

I guess for another would be a combo system, not a quick time event , but moves like tekken for example.

And lastly I want some kind of gundam style sword on sword quick time event. where the player/AI, have to button mash the other player/AI and overpower him to score some high damage.

Other then that, perhaps more stages?
Ultimate Knight Project(s):
SFX: Gundam Overload V2.4
Pilot(s): Leo Stenbuck, Dingo Egret.
Rockfire

Unread postby Ianator » November 7th, 2008, 9:08 am

I second the sounds part. Let there be Cosmic Era pshh pshh pshh~ for Vista and Universal Century pshuu pshuu pshuu~ for Millenium!
Ianator
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby AlextheLazy » November 19th, 2008, 4:41 pm

It just hit me a great outer space map is a asteroid field
AlextheLazy

Unread postby drunkn_azn » November 21st, 2008, 1:01 am

i say a sniper mode , really fun in 2v2 or higher,

u go into sniper mode by pushin a certain button then while in sniper mode u use mouse to shoot,
to go back push the button
drunkn_azn
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Siroh32 » November 21st, 2008, 5:58 pm

The closest to sniping you'll ever get in a game like this is the Ant's through-building sniping with its big gun. Otherwise? In a game meant to be a generic version of the "Gundam vs. _____" arcade games, I think you're outta luck there. Besides, the sniper suggestion sounds much more for a first-person shooter, and there are many out there with sniper weapons, some possibly with Gundam mods, and of course an actual Gundam game out there that has some mecha with sniping capability. That game in question is called "Operation: Troy" and, unless it's a surprise, I don't believe there's a release to the U.S. coming at all.

Although someone might (though would make the game worse in my view as it isn't a FPS, but someone might) take your suggestion into account as the retail version of BFW [link] is being worked on.
Siroh32
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby lunarmoon » December 15th, 2008, 8:17 am

erm...the mechs name can change??
lunarmoon
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Squall » December 15th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Siroh32 wrote:The closest to sniping you'll ever get in a game like this is the Ant's through-building sniping with its big gun. Otherwise? In a game meant to be a generic version of the "Gundam vs. _____" arcade games, I think you're outta luck there. Besides, the sniper suggestion sounds much more for a first-person shooter, and there are many out there with sniper weapons, some possibly with Gundam mods, and of course an actual Gundam game out there that has some mecha with sniping capability. That game in question is called "Operation: Troy" and, unless it's a surprise, I don't believe there's a release to the U.S. coming at all.

Actually...there is a mecha in Rengou VS Zaft plus that has a similar capability to what drunkn_azn iz suggesting. The sniper ( :P ) version of the GINN (quite overpowered for that matter), he could hover for increased range and fire rate *using energy*, no movement in this mode though. An ability like that would be interesting to implement...
Squall
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby lunarmoon » December 16th, 2008, 5:19 am

that KD-07 Blackcomb windom is same like the destiny gundam mix with strike freedom gundam..>_< :? KD-06 longhorn windom is freedom gundam custom mode..
lunarmoon
Totally hardly posted

PreviousNext

Return to WindomXP Chat