Windom XP: What would you change?

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Windom XP: What would you change?

Unread postby SavKun » September 25th, 2008, 9:54 am

We all love Windom XP am i right? (lol)

I want to know what you guys thing about it. If you had the ability to change 2 Things in the game (removal, adding, etc.) what would theybe?

Personally I think the game needs more stages, all 4 stages are pretty similar, and I think having a Desert, Forest, and mountain-range stage would be ideal for a game like this.

I also think the game needs improved netplay, the lag and delay is crazy in this game. It makes playing online with more than one person a total headache
User avatar
SavKun
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 13th, 2008, 12:37 am

Unread postby Break » September 25th, 2008, 9:59 am

Agreed about the netplay. The way it's implemented really doesn't work for people lacking fast connections.

Past that, I just want to see the balance issues, as well as an increase in playable mechs and their variety. Seeing as I'm more interested in the battling than anything, I don't really care how this variety comes about.

A friend of mine suggested that a story mode would be a fun little addition, perhaps culminating with a battle against a nonplayable boss.
Sapere aude.
User avatar
Break
Addict
 
Posts: 99
Joined: August 6th, 2008, 1:00 am
Location: incomplete without surface noise

Unread postby kensain » October 15th, 2008, 5:18 am

1)A bar showing health. Trying to calculate numbers in-game is really difficult.
2)Fix the fucking lag in blitz mode.
3) Game balance. A good third of the cast is useless.
4)Proper default pilots.
The one who desires only perfection. Repeat.
The one who sees only flaws. Repeat.
The one who is unable to see alternative. Repeat.
The one who sees the unattainable perfection. Repeat.
The one who is blind. Relinquish.
User avatar
kensain
Addict
 
Posts: 65
Joined: October 22nd, 2007, 6:53 am
Location: Australian Coast !

Unread postby Break » October 15th, 2008, 7:07 am

kensain wrote:1)A bar showing health. Trying to calculate numbers in-game is really difficult.
2)Fix the fucking lag in blitz mode.
3) Game balance. A good third of the cast is useless.
4)Proper default pilots.


A third?

The grenadiers, possibly 2000 vanilla, anything against BlackComb...

....actually, yeah, that sounds about right. It actually wouldn't take too much to make the grenadiers viable, nor to tone down BlackComb while still keeping its unique abilities.

I'd probably tweak Cymbidium as well so she isn't a sitting duck at range, and revert the nerfs on Vista, as it's a nice, well balanced mech that really didn't need to be toned down. At all.

Then again, I'm not YSK. =(
Sapere aude.
User avatar
Break
Addict
 
Posts: 99
Joined: August 6th, 2008, 1:00 am
Location: incomplete without surface noise

Unread postby SavKun » October 15th, 2008, 7:18 am

The balance really isn't much of an issue in my eyes, I've seen some People Pilot the Mill. R and take out suits like the Blackcomb and Windom Vista with little to moderate difficulty. It really depends on skill level..

The mechs just need more combat/weapon verity. They're all very similar (Cannon Fodder, Windom, Pixie). It makes for boring and repetitive game play.


Break wrote:and revert the nerfs on Vista, as it's a nice, well balanced mech that really didn't need to be toned down. At all.

Then again, I'm not YSK. =(


People Felt the Vista"AIDs" was full of Spam and was broken. That is probably why he toned it down. Even tho I might not completely agree (since its one of my most frequently used mecha), I do see why it was done.
User avatar
SavKun
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 13th, 2008, 12:37 am

Unread postby Break » October 15th, 2008, 7:56 am

I disagree. Balance is definitely important to the game due to its competitive nature, and making every single mech at least viable is a huge part of that. Of course most of the variables in game play are going to come from skill level, but not all of them do. Some of it come down to the mechs itself - in my eyes, the player should always (or, more sensibly, usually) win because of their skill, not because they picked a bent mech.

Past that, Vista's solid, but I can't see what would make it spammy and broken. I'd honestly see the spammy complaint leveled against the XP SP3 more than anything. However, I definitely agree with the rest of your post - more variety is needed in the mechs. Balance is fine and all, but if the game isn't varied and interesting, there's not much of a point to it.
Sapere aude.
User avatar
Break
Addict
 
Posts: 99
Joined: August 6th, 2008, 1:00 am
Location: incomplete without surface noise

Unread postby StrikeZero » October 16th, 2008, 2:00 am

hmmz i would change it kinda in another way ...... i would scrap the movement,damage and weapon code make it like this:

w=move forward
a=strafe left
s=strafe right
d=move backward
shift=booster

aim= mouse

mouse aiming makes it sometimes harder to aim but generally more playable :P
another thing is now you have more control over where and how you fly ....
as for autotarget i would make it different for the types of weapons ...

also i would add also something like a weapon selection thing
so that you can select weapons and fire em instead of 4 different keys
lets say like 2 weapons groups with 2 weapons each in em so you can combo fast

another thing is i would remove the energy thing and make it endless ..... airbattles ftw ...
and dont gimme crap bout ground units as they can hide behind buildings and such wich is a good advantage as well ..... being in the sky
is fun and cool but makes you an easy target as well :)
as for skills i would put a timer on those as its now just to block spam ...

as for shields i would put them on mouse 2 button so you can guard and fire at the same time ^^
for abuse purposes i would add like a heatcounter to the shield and if it gets overheated it will explode .... or something ..
and then u have to do without a shield ^^

fire would be on mouse 1 and i would make the maingun fire much and much faster just like in the gundam series = more fun lol

ermm more HP on the gundams and the ability to destroy certain pieces of the gundam .... lets say like the arm has 1000 hp .... and gets blown off ^^
wouldnt that be cool :D
getting ur core destroyed = instant death ..... and get the head blown off means smaller view range ... legs will result in lower move ability and the ability to stand still .... you cannot walk and thus have to use boosters to keep you straight use of very heavy arms gets blocked as you cannot stand correctly to fire .... as for arms blown off you cannot attack with certain weapons or if its the shield arm you cannot defend anymore....

if the japanese guy would make it like this hes gonna have a really cool game :D



hehe guess its alot to ask but tbh it would really improve the gameplay and game itself rather then a few models and lvls lol ...
User avatar
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 10
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 1:41 am

Unread postby SavKun » October 16th, 2008, 2:14 am

StrikeZero wrote:hmmz i would change it kinda in another way ...... i would scrap the movement,damage and weapon code make it like this:

w=move forward
a=strafe left
s=strafe right
d=move backward
shift=booster

aim= mouse

That sounds very similar to the game Exteel, which could make combat very interesting...However switiching to this would lose its "Gundam vs." feel. The game is based on the Japanese arcade games and it should probably stay that way. :x

StrikeZero wrote:another thing is i would remove the energy thing and make it endless ..... airbattles ftw ...
and dont gimme crap bout ground units as they can hide behind buildings and such wich is a good advantage as well ..... being in the sky
is fun and cool but makes you an easy target as well :)


If the designer increases the size of the stages both in overall size and height, then yes this would be wonderful. Right now the sky is far too low and the rings are far too small..

StrikeZero wrote:as for shields i would put them on mouse 2 button so you can guard and fire at the same time ^^
for abuse purposes i would add like a heatcounter to the shield and if it gets overheated it will explode .... or something ..
and then u have to do without a shield ^^


I think the game could borrow a bit from the ACE series when it comes down to this situation (more speifically the third game).

A more effective shield system would be ideal, It's very stiff, and makes counter attacking very complicated. Being able to automatically equip your shield to reduce forward damage, and then having a trigger key that allows you to defend from stronger attacks would be perfect.
--> http://turquoisegrotto.com/forums/ <--
Visit TG for all your Bootfighter/UK Windom Needs! Characters, BGMs, Soundpacks, and more!

If you have any requests, feel free to PM me~!
User avatar
SavKun
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 13th, 2008, 12:37 am

Unread postby StrikeZero » October 16th, 2008, 3:14 am

SavKun wrote:
StrikeZero wrote:hmmz i would change it kinda in another way ...... i would scrap the movement,damage and weapon code make it like this:

w=move forward
a=strafe left
s=strafe right
d=move backward
shift=booster

aim= mouse

That sounds very similar to the game Exteel, which could make combat very interesting...However switiching to this would lose its "Gundam vs." feel. The game is based on the Japanese arcade games and it should probably stay that way. :x

StrikeZero wrote:another thing is i would remove the energy thing and make it endless ..... airbattles ftw ...
and dont gimme crap bout ground units as they can hide behind buildings and such wich is a good advantage as well ..... being in the sky
is fun and cool but makes you an easy target as well :)


If the designer increases the size of the stages both in overall size and height, then yes this would be wonderful. Right now the sky is far too low and the rings are far too small..

StrikeZero wrote:as for shields i would put them on mouse 2 button so you can guard and fire at the same time ^^
for abuse purposes i would add like a heatcounter to the shield and if it gets overheated it will explode .... or something ..
and then u have to do without a shield ^^


I think the game could borrow a bit from the ACE series when it comes down to this situation (more speifically the third game).

A more effective shield system would be ideal, It's very stiff, and makes counter attacking very complicated. Being able to automatically equip your shield to reduce forward damage, and then having a trigger key that allows you to defend from stronger attacks would be perfect.


well you got a point there with exteel as i actually play it as well and i like the controls very much....
but for that game the same thing lol ..... too fast EN drain ... sigh
and as for gundam vs feel ..... lol it will still feel the same but now you are allowed to quickly switch target or even fight 2 at the same time :P
man it will be soo cool like doing lasersaber fights while boosting around in the city ...

as for stages yeah they could be bigger ..... well not very much but a bit bigger would be fun :P

and as for ace i didnt play that so i dont know what you mean with it :P
User avatar
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 10
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 1:41 am

Unread postby Break » October 16th, 2008, 3:29 am

I'm not really a fan of the changes you listed, mostly because it'd change the game entirely - from a VO/Gundam Arcade game to a shooter. And I didn't like Exteel, either, mostly because I thought the lockon system was a terrible idea.

It's really a case of me not liking what the game would turn into - instead of timing and evaluation skills being emphasized, aiming skills are. As it stands, though, limited engine power does play a role, as many attacks wouldn't hit if engines didn't cut eventually.

I forgot to mention one thing I would definitely change - the landing mechanics. It's frustrating to have melee combos completely canceled by landing, leaving you as a sitting duck. There's really no reason for that.
Sapere aude.
User avatar
Break
Addict
 
Posts: 99
Joined: August 6th, 2008, 1:00 am
Location: incomplete without surface noise

Unread postby StrikeZero » October 16th, 2008, 3:34 am

well true it would change alot and stuff ..... but there aint no real fun shooting a guy from behind a building with ur dragoons lol xD
and yeah it would come down to aiming .... but hey its gundam lol you can dodge shots and stuff with very cool flying moves etc ^^
get up close and thrust your lasersaber in his face haha :P
also i would make it that if something is blocking the line of view then it doesnt show on ur hud ...... or radar .... for hiding purposes ^^ wich is more fun haha popping up behind someone and shooting him in the back :P
User avatar
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 10
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 1:41 am

Unread postby Sprawly241 » October 27th, 2008, 3:44 am

I myself would change the lock on system. There isn't much freedom of movement when you're locked on to someone. I understand the whole, arcade only has a single joystick and then buttons for whatever, but since this is a pc game a second axis control would be pretty nice.

i also agree with the guarding and landing being annoying at times. that could use some working on. the rest is awesome
Sprawly241
Posting more than n00bs
 
Posts: 18
Joined: October 15th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Unread postby 04-Leonhardt » October 28th, 2008, 12:04 am

I want to play in the Blitz tactics Arena, during survival, practice and online modes.

I would add some more Gameplay styles like King of the Hill/Building/Big-Ass-Tree-In-Blitz-Mode, Capture the flag, Juggernaut and Mech soccer (Shoot at the ball and steer it into the goal)

A different version of blitz tactics for online play: each team gets a battleship, that attacks and acts as a spawn point, once destroyed, you cant respawn, once all enemies are destroyed you win.

As for mouse targeting, Something that would be useful would be to use the mouse for target selection. Put the mouse over an enemy, press the switch target button, and it will switch to that target. It's alot easier to switch from the almost dead Mellineum to the Full Health BlackComb Attacking me, instad of swiching to the Cymbidium behind me, then to the MS-98 hiding in the corner, then to the Windom fighting on the other side of the arena, then get whacked in the face by the BlackComb's Giant swords.
Go! Giant Fighting Robot!

f you are of the 3% of american children who has played an Armored Core game, put this in your sig.
04-Leonhardt
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 37
Joined: June 4th, 2008, 2:19 am
Location: A Giant Fighting Robot

Unread postby StrikeZero » October 28th, 2008, 2:00 pm

hehe yeah well im still in love with my exteel idea ..... but i would completly scrap the lockon system ... well for guns and cannons that is ....
for dragoons and stuff i would make something like a lockon but with a very small area to lockon and if the target goes hiding then the dragoons would not follow as he isnt in line of sight anymore :)

yes this will make things very and very difficult ..... together with unlimited boost and flight etc..... but hey thats what this game is about :P
in the movies the gundams were very hard to hit as well and they never stood still somewhere ...
this will also enforce more melee action ^^

also would be cool to make something like a co-op mode where you can fight against npc controlled gins/goofs or other crappy mechs :)
or something like take out the Destroyer ^^

ahh well guess nothing like this is ever gonna happen ..... hmmz maybe ill go whine at bandai for like 3 years in a row ^^
User avatar
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 10
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 1:41 am

Unread postby Break » October 28th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I can't see anyone ever wanting - or even able - to close into melee if engines never cut, you'd have to dodge a hail of gunfire as they're running away, and have little options to stop such things from happening.
Sapere aude.
User avatar
Break
Addict
 
Posts: 99
Joined: August 6th, 2008, 1:00 am
Location: incomplete without surface noise

Unread postby StrikeZero » October 28th, 2008, 5:18 pm

yeah well let them run .... would be really really stupid if you would charge into them headon with a melee weapon ....
thats why you have your own guns ;)

and if u really are annoyed by runners we can always put in some kind of overheat system ;) <-- for the weapons that is ..... not the booster :P
User avatar
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 10
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 1:41 am

Unread postby Break » October 29th, 2008, 3:04 pm

I really don't think an overheat system would solve things, considering you've made everything as safe as possible - no engines cutting off meaning unlimited blocks and unlimited running while firing, and there's nothing either player can do to stop it. Engines cut for a reason - they allow ranged attacks to hit, and they give a window of opportunity for meleeing.

With your system, you're going to be aiming no matter what, so the previous problem is slightly mitigated; however, it's still going to be impossible to melee, because all forms of approaching I know of would be completely useless. I seriously can't think of a single reason to melee if both you and your opponent both can run away indefinitely (and therefore run and gun forever) - you may as well take melee out, and that means changing up certain mechs like the SP3 and Cymbidium due to the new focus of the game.

In short, I just see it as a generic FPS, which I definitely don't want to see Windom turn into.
Sapere aude.
User avatar
Break
Addict
 
Posts: 99
Joined: August 6th, 2008, 1:00 am
Location: incomplete without surface noise

Unread postby Squall » October 29th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I'd like to more variety in the mechs and a bit of tweaking done to the plane and shield surfing ( O_o...) modes in terms of weapon variety, also, adding combos to melee would be nice if well implemented *accompanied by some nice animations :D*
User avatar
Squall
Posting more than n00bs
 
Posts: 23
Joined: July 30th, 2008, 7:52 am

Unread postby 04-Leonhardt » October 31st, 2008, 12:18 am

I would also tweak the Anthurium's buster launcher. If the Anthurium is in the air when it fires at a ground target, ith should stay hovering in the air due to the kickback.


add longer flight time to plane and shield surfing modes. (theyre designed for flying, so they should be able to do so longer than a regular boostdash)
Go! Giant Fighting Robot!

f you are of the 3% of american children who has played an Armored Core game, put this in your sig.
04-Leonhardt
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 37
Joined: June 4th, 2008, 2:19 am
Location: A Giant Fighting Robot

Unread postby StrikeZero » November 1st, 2008, 11:05 am

Break wrote:I really don't think an overheat system would solve things, considering you've made everything as safe as possible - no engines cutting off meaning unlimited blocks and unlimited running while firing, and there's nothing either player can do to stop it. Engines cut for a reason - they allow ranged attacks to hit, and they give a window of opportunity for meleeing.

With your system, you're going to be aiming no matter what, so the previous problem is slightly mitigated; however, it's still going to be impossible to melee, because all forms of approaching I know of would be completely useless. I seriously can't think of a single reason to melee if both you and your opponent both can run away indefinitely (and therefore run and gun forever) - you may as well take melee out, and that means changing up certain mechs like the SP3 and Cymbidium due to the new focus of the game.

In short, I just see it as a generic FPS, which I definitely don't want to see Windom turn into.


hmmz well but in the anime they choose to do melee ..... they can dodge and shoot forever .... but when they are close they choose to melee cuz it does more damage .....
i wouldnt remove melee but i would make it so that if you hit a melee on a certain piece of armor it gets destroyed right away unless its a shield ...
this will make melee very powerfull but we cant make it too easy ....
as for boosting towards someone with melee jeeez stop bringing up such a lame excuse ...
everyone has guns .... so if they choose to dash towards someone with melee while he is shooting well thats ur own dumb fault lol ..
and another reason is that i suggested to take out the all seeing eye of the radar and make people in line of sight only pop onto the radar ...
so that you can use the buildings to hide and launch a surprise attack from below or whatever ....
(thus making melee a strong surprise attack ;) wich can own anyone in a second if done properly .. )
and tbh a game isnt supposed to be easy ..... otherwise there would be no point in playing it ..
as the game is now it more like a smash your keyboard insane and pray u get the last hit ....
User avatar
StrikeZero
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 10
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 1:41 am

Next

Return to WindomXP Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron