ms-98 piloting skillz

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

ms-98 piloting skillz

Unread postby jezer0 » July 5th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Just a question: How good are you guys when it comes to using ms-98, the seemingly "weakest" of the mech roster?

Any tips on effective usage of this mech? Looking at how the AI pilots it, the ms-98 isn't just for cannon fodder.

Well, I know ms-98 is slow, has short boost time, and has sucky weapons (machine gun and sword specifically). But I just love it's grenades and its huge number of lives. Currently I use the charged multi-grenade throw in point-blank range to counter incoming enemies (Screaming FALCOOOOWN PAAAAWNCH!!! then enemy gets blasted away). Yeah it's effective but it is a double-edged sword since it hurts you as well, sometimes killing you first than the opposing party. I guess that's what the huge number of lives of the ms-98 are for haha.

Looks like I have to do those advanced tricks while I'm in this mech. It's kind of fun when you get to beat up powerful mechs with just a grunt like this one.
"Leisure time is best; After a difficult test; Please give me some rest."

~jezer0
jezer0
Addict

Unread postby Agent556 » July 8th, 2008, 2:52 am

AI are godly because they can detect the INSTANT you send an attack signal/press a button to attack. Try to melee an AI using any unit that has a shield, youre asking to be killed. The only way a human can somewhat match that is by accurately predicting (and properly holding onto the shield button long enough...) the enemy's attack.
Agent556
Might just like this board

Unread postby jezer0 » July 8th, 2008, 2:57 am

@Agent556:

I am aware of that as well. And adding the lag to that means godly AI.
How's your ms-98 piloting skills?

~jezer0
jezer0
Addict

Unread postby Agent556 » July 10th, 2008, 2:37 am

its either a sword fight, or ALLAH AHKBAR!!!!!!
Agent556

Unread postby mitsuki » July 13th, 2008, 12:18 pm

I'm not that good with the MS-98 because piloting it takes a lot of stamina from me :? that's why I don't use it very often - it's like trying to exert double the effort or even more.

I think I'll just go with the other mechs since this mech is not suitable for non-ace pilots like me :(

Onii-sama posted a video about an MS-98 vs. Whistler Type-B in the "Bootfighter Windom XP Videos" thread.

He likes to use it whenever he's bored, I think he'll post more videos about the MS-98. :)
mitsuki
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Troopermanaic » July 15th, 2008, 11:22 pm

ms-98 is easy cause the main wep takes alot of damage from the enemy, I find myself dieing only once or at all in a team DM or tactical game
Troopermanaic
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby jezer0 » July 15th, 2008, 11:39 pm

@Troopermanaic:

It definitely shows it's high threat level in groups. Tried doing it solo? 1 on 1 match or a 1-mech army? You definitely have to try it! :)

~jezer0
jezer0
Addict

Unread postby Troopermanaic » July 16th, 2008, 7:41 pm

that was what I was saying =<.<=
its easy to kill with the ms-98
Troopermanaic
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Agent556 » July 17th, 2008, 9:56 pm

what are you calling the main wep.... surely you mean the grenades and not the machine gun. the grenades ARE damaging but can also be easily avoided
Agent556

The Green Guy

Unread postby ryujin » July 19th, 2008, 4:23 pm

The MS-98 sucks at long-range combat, grenades from afar serves more of a distraction (strategy-based) rather than an attack (damage-based)
Like what Agent556 said, "they can be easily avoided," heck some of them would not even reach the enemy at all.

Whenever I'm far away I usually use the machine gun to knock-down the enemy, thus, giving me a chance to get near little by little.

Once near, the MS-98 is a green, mean, ass-kicking machine :twisted: (gotta love that rhyme :) )

The MS-98 shines at close-combat:

-at close-range, grenades are now hard to avoid :arrow: (let's say 50m-80m distance)
-grenades ignore shields (they don't care :evil:)
-at FULL POWER, the 5 grenades becomes an army of grenades (25 pissed off :x grenades coming at you) these fellas can kick 4 or more mech asses in their way. :x :x :x

ryujin
Addict

Unread postby jezer0 » July 19th, 2008, 11:48 pm

@ryujin:
-at close-range, grenades are now hard to avoid (let's say 50m-80m distance)

Dodging them is fairly simple: Just jump and fly upwards (hold the jump button)
The grenades doesn't bounce that much, unless you threw them from a higher altitude.

-grenades ignore shields (they don't care)

Actually, there are chances wherein throwing grenades at a guarding enemy will cause some of them to bounce off, the shield acting as a wall of sorts. I think they "ignore shields" when they don't directly hit the shield (rolling on the floor... etc.)

at FULL POWER, the 5 grenades becomes an army of grenades (25 pissed off grenades coming at you) these fellas can kick 4 or more mech asses in their way.

FALCON PUNCH! yyyYES! :lol:

I use this mech with my Solid Snake pilot, with a Metal Gear Solid alert BGM playing. Just for the badass factor (cue Otacon's "You're... the shit!" quote from MGS4 LINK HERE)

~jezer0
jezer0
Addict

Re: The Green Guy

Unread postby ryujin » July 20th, 2008, 7:41 am

ryujin wrote:-at close-range, grenades are now hard to avoid :arrow: (let's say 50m-80m distance)

or should I say... more lethal

@jezer0

Ever tried going up against a cymbidium in a one-on-one swordfight?
-it's quite challenging
ryujin
Addict

Unread postby jezer0 » July 20th, 2008, 11:38 am

Cymbidium...yeah, as well as a human player using SP3! Challenge then using Solid Snake ms-98 and came out victorious!

But really, they're pretty challenging! At least I don't have to approach them to deal damage. They come to me! :D

~jezer0
jezer0
Addict

meh piloting skillz?

Unread postby GReeN Reaper » July 24th, 2008, 12:21 pm

I just downloaded teh game and teh MS 98's meh favorite mech in teh game because it's teh only mech I use :shock:

It happened to pique meh interest because it's colored green :D and teh grenades, teh grenades!! I love teh grenades!!! :shock:

I like to do a point blank grenade attack (suicide attack sometimes, because I just love seeing meh enemy get blown away [teh Falcon Pawnch, because teh punch Pawns] :twisted: )

Also, I use meh machine gun to flinch teh enemy, slowly damaging it as well.. teh teh teh.. (sadist??? NOT!! :? )
GReeN Reaper

This is for the 1,000th post =]

Unread postby ryujin » July 29th, 2008, 5:25 pm

@jezer0

'tol, pinoy?
:o
ryujin
Addict

Unread postby supremehyren » August 4th, 2008, 8:21 pm

98's my main mech. Mostly because I suck at melee and need a counter for it. If you get good enough with the grenades, it's easy to hit aerial opponents, so jumping's useless as a dodge.
supremehyren

Return to WindomXP Chat