Page 1 of 1

The crossing method?

Unread postPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:09 pm
by aallx
I'm rather curious. What exactly does the crossing method do? I've tried to use it once. My screen just vibrates while playing. Also, two windows pops up, one named Left and the other Right, with seemingly no purpose whatsoever.

Unread postPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:27 pm
by Raitei
er, the caption text before it is quite self explanatory already. (two windows for stereoscopic vision).

Unread postPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:49 pm
by aallx
Okay... so I've got two screens. What do I do with them? I don't even know what stereoscopic vision means...

Unread postPosted: May 20th, 2008, 3:23 pm
by Raitei
to put it short, it creates some visual effects that affect our perception of the images... just wikipedia the rest, I'm too lazy atm :P

Unread postPosted: May 21st, 2008, 1:01 am
by Evlesoa
funny cuz when i do that, it makes me lag like a bitch :P

Unread postPosted: May 22nd, 2008, 12:30 am
by Agent556
basically if you had those 3d goggle screen things, one window would be played on the left, and the other would be played on the right. the result is that the image that you end up seeing gives you a sense of depth.

if you have the resolution small enough, and you have a big enough monitor and can cross your eyes really really far, you might be able to cross your eyes enough to make both screens turn into one image. it would net you the same result, but would be very bad for your eyes.

Unread postPosted: June 8th, 2008, 1:58 am
by Cat Megex
Agent556 wrote:if you have the resolution small enough, and you have a big enough monitor and can cross your eyes really really far, you might be able to cross your eyes enough to make both screens turn into one image. it would net you the same result, but would be very bad for your eyes.


...You aren't kidding...*rubs his eyes* They certainly are taking their time to uncross...not to mention they hurt a bit during playing. But it wasn't actually that hard to do; in fact, it got easier after a short period of time. And it did look cool.

Unread postPosted: June 11th, 2008, 2:02 pm
by Superflonic
Agent556 wrote:basically if you had those 3d goggle screen things, one window would be played on the left, and the other would be played on the right. the result is that the image that you end up seeing gives you a sense of depth.


Grabs goggles.
I actually have two, one just for some kind of reason, I think it's from seeing spy kids, lol.
And a different one that I can connect to my computer. I'll take a look.

Unread postPosted: June 11th, 2008, 4:36 pm
by md
The popular 3d goggles for computers a shutter goggles, and it does not display it over two windows, it uses one window refreshed twice as fast as normal.

You need a monitor with a very fast response time, and a pair of goggles, and some pretty simple software. Support for it is built into directx and opengl pretty easily, it works on most games, even if they didn't plan for it.

When the screen is displaying the left image, the right lens of the goggles is opaque, and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD_shutter_glasses
http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gsh.html

I almost bought this when I was deep into Tribes.

Unread postPosted: June 11th, 2008, 4:41 pm
by Superflonic


LOL, I have exactly that one.
I should find it, though, it should be around here somewhere.
But, if I get it right, it should run fine on a standard computer? Single monitor? And then those glasses? Or do I have to configure something more?

Unread postPosted: June 13th, 2008, 12:08 am
by md
Yes, single monitor, normal computer (maybe) You need to find the driver software for those glasses and set it up. Unless you spent big bucks for a top of the line monitor, you'll probably have to drop your screen size to 640x480 or 800x600 to get the 130+hz refresh rate you need for them to function.

LCDs need something like a 2microsecond refresh rate.

Unread postPosted: June 13th, 2008, 1:09 pm
by Superflonic
md wrote:Yes, single monitor, normal computer (maybe) You need to find the driver software for those glasses and set it up. Unless you spent big bucks for a top of the line monitor, you'll probably have to drop your screen size to 640x480 or 800x600 to get the 130+hz refresh rate you need for them to function.

LCDs need something like a 2microsecond refresh rate.


Heh, even then, my monitor wouldn't support such a thing. I have a 22" monitor. Not LCD, nor plasma. No, an old thing that weighs over 20 kilo's.
And my graphics card wouldn't support that high of a refresh rate.

I HATE LIFE, SOB SOB.