f....f1....curses...

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

f....f1....curses...

Unread postby klonedesu1 » April 5th, 2008, 12:56 am

Okay. When we are in a server and want to do our "ready" signal to start the game we have to press "f1" right? Is there some special trick or timing on how you press it? It takes me almost 5 mins every time I want to set my character in "ready" mode because my f1 key has no response. I try spamming it or holding it down but my results are random. It just starts when it feels like it. I have to keep pressing in random ways for a few minutes before it responds.
Is anyone else having this problem? The other computer on my network has the same problem but not as severely. I would point and say that my keyboard is busted but that's impossible since I just bought this keyboard a month ago.... unless I bought a broken one. Plus the other computer has a less severe version of the same issue. Although that could just mean that both the keyboards are messed up....lol I hope not.
Oh and I play with one of those PS2 looking gamepads. That may have some sort of effect on the issue.
klonedesu1
Addict

Unread postby Sajomir » April 5th, 2008, 1:02 am

If you use a gamepad, maybe you could use Joy2Key to have a button emulate the F1 key.
And if you're short on useable keys, make either the D-pad or joystick on your controller (whichever you don't use) function as that F1 key. :D
Sajomir
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ryuusoul » April 5th, 2008, 7:32 am

Some keyboards have a "F Lock" button... I'd make sure that isn't the problem.

I... I may have had this problem before...
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Re: f....f1....curses...

Unread postby Unearthly » April 5th, 2008, 1:08 pm

klonedesu1 wrote:Okay. When we are in a server and want to do our "ready" signal to start the game we have to press "f1" right? Is there some special trick or timing on how you press it? It takes me almost 5 mins every time I want to set my character in "ready" mode because my f1 key has no response. I try spamming it or holding it down but my results are random. It just starts when it feels like it. I have to keep pressing in random ways for a few minutes before it responds.

Are people already playing when you join? If anyone still has the 'Currently Sortieing', no one else can join. You have to wait until everyone returns to the room before the next game can start.
Unearthly
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby klonedesu1 » April 5th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Sajomir wrote:If you use a gamepad, maybe you could use Joy2Key to have a button emulate the F1 key.
And if you're short on useable keys, make either the D-pad or joystick on your controller (whichever you don't use) function as that F1 key. :D

Thanks for the tip but I can't seem to get the application to work. I read the readme and followed the instructions. It might just be that my gamepad isn't compatible. It's a usb hama pad (http://www.zigzag.am/product.php?id=372501&l=am). I tried to find sights with info on Joy2Key but I didn't have much luck :(

Ryuusoul wrote:Some keyboards have a "F Lock" button... I'd make sure that isn't the problem.

I... I may have had this problem before...

I tried it after I read you post. My f-lock isn't on :( It seems to be something else. Thanks for trying to help though.

Unearthly wrote:
klonedesu1 wrote:Okay. When we are in a server and want to do our "ready" signal to start the game we have to press "f1" right? Is there some special trick or timing on how you press it? It takes me almost 5 mins every time I want to set my character in "ready" mode because my f1 key has no response. I try spamming it or holding it down but my results are random. It just starts when it feels like it. I have to keep pressing in random ways for a few minutes before it responds.

Are people already playing when you join? If anyone still has the 'Currently Sortieing', no one else can join. You have to wait until everyone returns to the room before the next game can start.

That may be it. I'll try test that theory out. Thanks.
klonedesu1
Addict

Unread postby WingZero » April 5th, 2008, 7:27 pm

F-lock, or "F keys", as it's called on some keyboards, has the same function as num lock or caps lock.

Just as caps lock enables capitalization, F-lock enables F-functions.

So if your F-lock was off as you say, then F1 wouldn't be F1, it would be whatever secondary function was assigned to it. So your F-lock should be on when trying to use F1.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby klonedesu1 » April 6th, 2008, 12:43 am

WingZero wrote:F-lock, or "F keys", as it's called on some keyboards, has the same function as num lock or caps lock.

Just as caps lock enables capitalization, F-lock enables F-functions.

So if your F-lock was off as you say, then F1 wouldn't be F1, it would be whatever secondary function was assigned to it. So your F-lock should be on when trying to use F1.

lol. I'm so dumb. I get it now. When I used the F Lock button (and the green light turned on) I was able to use the F1 key. I guess that's the only lock key that works differently from the others. I figured it was like num-lock where it "locks" the key when the light was on.
Thanks guys. :)
klonedesu1
Addict

Return to WindomXP Chat