Changing background music

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Changing background music

Unread postby Marl » March 31st, 2008, 1:41 pm

Much as I love the BGM included in Windom, I decided to go one step further and try to make it even more "Gundam-y", by trying to import my own tracks into the game. Before trying anything mentioned below, I strongly suggest making a backup copy of your Sound folder somewhere else on your hard drive, for reference and to repair any accidental damage done while tinkering.

As far as I can tell, if your music file is in .ogg format, placed in the Sound folder with the same name as the original sound file (i.e. fuse.ogg if you want to change the music for the first level), and *approximately the same length as the original file*, it'll work. I tried using the "Finale" track from the Gundam Seed Symphony collection because it's a fairly long and varied piece, and unedited (it's approximately 7:40 long) it didn't work. When I cut it down to 3:55 (1 second below the original length of the fuse track), and tried again, it worked fine.

I'd be interested to know if it is directly tied to the length of the file being replaced, or if you can get away with longer files (and if so, by how much).
Marl
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Marl » March 31st, 2008, 4:49 pm

DOUBLE POAST!

I was wrong about the "must be same length as track you're replacing" thing. I just replaced fuse with INVOKE (which is about 30 seconds longer), and it still works. I'm guessing there's a maximum track length that determines whether or not a song can be used.
Marl
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby KnightBaron » March 31st, 2008, 5:47 pm

If you want to change the BGM. Why don't you just mute it at the settings and play your own playlist from your favorite musicplayer?
KnightBaron
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Marl » March 31st, 2008, 6:15 pm

KnightBaron wrote:If you want to change the BGM. Why don't you just mute it at the settings and play your own playlist from your favorite musicplayer?

One reason, really - performance. This game, like it or not, isn't very friendly towards low spec machines. Running a mediaplayer at the same time doesn't really help the issue. I prefer tinkering with the ingame music because it runs smoother. Especially during online play, when things really can get quite jerky.
Marl
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby inferno_flamex » March 31st, 2008, 6:17 pm

KnightBaron wrote:If you want to change the BGM. Why don't you just mute it at the settings and play your own playlist from your favorite musicplayer?

ROFL! Thats what i did!

And nowadays while playing solo.. Im listening to tracks like "Ash like snow" and even "Emiya". XD
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Return to WindomXP Chat