My thoughts on the game: Not impressed

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

My thoughts on the game: Not impressed

Unread postby AyaReiko » March 31st, 2008, 10:21 am

I can run this game on medium settings w/o lag, but no higher. This is a machine that can run Doom 3 on high settings and DoMO with the graphic settings cranked to the max with no problems.

For being essentially a Third Person Shooter, the control scheme is a complete mess.
Cardinal sin #1, no mouse support. Would've it hurt to allow mouse for aiming or even looking (which would be especially useful when looking for a new target)?
Cardinal sin #2, the camera is terrible. In a 3PS game like this, a slow reacting or poorly positioned camera is a major nuisance. This especially becomes a problem if and when you're taking fire from multiple sides.
Other annoyances: Why isn't dash continuous? Especially annoying if the enemy is a long ways away. A complete lack of documentation doesn't help matters.

B- for effort. D for execution.
AyaReiko
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ChristopherRobin » March 31st, 2008, 4:23 pm

Hitting the Jump button twice lets you use a continuous dash.
ChristopherRobin
Totally hardly posted

Re: My thoughts on the game: Not impressed

Unread postby Voomer » March 31st, 2008, 4:59 pm

AyaReiko wrote:I can run this game on medium settings w/o lag, but no higher. This is a machine that can run Doom 3 on high settings and DoMO with the graphic settings cranked to the max with no problems.

For being essentially a Third Person Shooter, the control scheme is a complete mess.
Cardinal sin #1, no mouse support. Would've it hurt to allow mouse for aiming or even looking (which would be especially useful when looking for a new target)?
Cardinal sin #2, the camera is terrible. In a 3PS game like this, a slow reacting or poorly positioned camera is a major nuisance. This especially becomes a problem if and when you're taking fire from multiple sides.
Other annoyances: Why isn't dash continuous? Especially annoying if the enemy is a long ways away. A complete lack of documentation doesn't help matters.

B- for effort. D for execution.

1. This is a clone of an arcade game, thus no mouse.
2. Dash is a short burst so that you can dodge multiple shots of fire easily with abrupt movement as shots home in until a certain point. There are suppose to be warning arrows that flash in the direction a shot is coming from, I only played practice mode so I don't know if its in this game

Youtube gundam vs gundam for the latest of the arcade series to see how it played correctly.
Voomer
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby halomasta » March 31st, 2008, 6:03 pm

Use a controller...
halomasta
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby inferno_flamex » March 31st, 2008, 6:21 pm

Look up how any traditional gundam VS game is like.
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Re: My thoughts on the game: Not impressed

Unread postby halomasta » March 31st, 2008, 6:52 pm

AyaReiko wrote:I can run this game on medium settings w/o lag, but no higher. This is a machine that can run Doom 3 on high settings and DoMO with the graphic settings cranked to the max with no problems.

Thats more of a good thing than a bad thing. Means it has greater potential than your machine can handle.

Use a controller...thats what it was meant for!

The camera is a little messed up he should have an option for a second joystick to at least look around. But I wouldn't call it terrible...There is a continuous dash in the game(double-tap and hold jump) and theres 3 documents explaining everything....

Ok so your only real argument is camera angle issue for a FREE GAME? And you rate it a B- for effort and D for excecution??? GTFO this game is amazing.
halomasta
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby SteelKiller » March 31st, 2008, 11:33 pm

I have been a long time player of TESHIMA's Silver Knights. and this game kicks a$% i dont see any problems with it. i had one problem something like dx something but i just messed with the resolution and it works perfect. and to the above poster.... YES this game is AMAZING!
SteelKiller
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby xeville14 » April 2nd, 2008, 7:11 am

I REALLY AGREE WITH YOU GUYS.... THIS GAME IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!! since the game's size is small enough... I think it's really cool............ and do not expect this game as same as a game with +1GB size.... it's only 57MB....

sorry that's my opinion...........
xeville14
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Sajomir » April 2nd, 2008, 9:21 pm

I'm sure there are two reasons that your computer runs Doom 3 much better than this.
First, Doom 3 takes place almost entirely in small corridors with no more than four or five enemies at a time. (that's just through a good part of the game, not the whole time) There's not an entirely open battlefield with dozens of characters running around, such as in Battlefield. Perhaps a recent game in that series would provide a better comparison? Also, putting settings to "high" says nothing about resolution - it's possible to get higher detail levels in doom by sacrificing resolution. Have you tried it in this game?

Second, this is a free game developed by one(?) guy. It hasn't had teams of professionals working on it for over a year. To be honest I was impressed when I saw he's using using High Dynamic Range lighting. Anyway, I'm sure the game has not been optimized as well as a published title, so there are probably inefficiencies.

At the risk of sounding like bragging...
I can run Doom 3 on Ultra with the game forced into 1680x1050 widescreen. I can run Quake 4 at similar levels.
This game runs at a slightly larger resolution of 1600x1200. While I can handle it fine on the highest settings in Survival or Training, I get massive slowdown in either of the two large-scale games. Even my brother's machine, which comfortably runs Crysis in widescreen (8800GT), gets some slowdown in those modes.

So even with high-end PCs, the games till gets slowdown. It's a fan-made game, so it wont' be perfect.
Sajomir
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby replicated » April 3rd, 2008, 12:31 pm

The code is not going to be optimised just yet... it's also running under .NET as well, which would add to the speed. Honestly though, for a free game that is like 50mb, it is fucking awesome. Although the netcode can be improved on, though.
replicated
the one who Taka is jealous of

Return to WindomXP Chat