Ports

Talk about WindomXP here!

Moderator: Staffers

Ports

Unread postby misher » March 30th, 2008, 4:54 am

Is there a port # or range I need to have opened?
misher
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kanzar » March 30th, 2008, 5:18 am

RTFM

ReadMe.txt wrote:If you wish to set up a server at home, please open TCP ports 2123-2128 and 3123-3128.
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby misher » March 30th, 2008, 5:32 am

just did and was bout to delete thread...dope

Now if only i cud figure out how...
misher
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby inferno_flamex » March 30th, 2008, 6:50 am

Kanzar wrote:RTFM

ReadMe.txt wrote:If you wish to set up a server at home, please open TCP ports 2123-2128 and 3123-3128.

I see it in the ReadMe... But where exactly do i open up the TCP Ports and how?

Edit- I already tried the server.exe file... Everything went smoothly, but i still cant get connected. I can connect fine to other servers.. But i cant CREATE a server to play with my bro..

Does it have to do with the fact that my ISP has given me a default proxy IP??
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kanzar » March 30th, 2008, 7:04 am

NFI if having that will do anything.

But. Are you behind a router? If yes, what kind of router? Also, what firewall (if any) are you running on your computer?
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » March 30th, 2008, 7:28 am

Kanzar wrote:NFI if having that will do anything.

But. Are you behind a router? If yes, what kind of router? Also, what firewall (if any) are you running on your computer?

@_@ tech-talk.. Gahh.. Im soo bad at this.. XDDD gomen..

Anyway.. um.. All i can say is that im using a wireless for home use. Password activated etc. And firewall? Just the standard Windows firewall that you'll get when starting a PC for the first time and maybe Norton as well. But i doubt that would cause trouble, becasue like i said, i've tried JOINING other servers. And everything was OK.

Im only having trouble creating.
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kanzar » March 30th, 2008, 8:40 am

I'm fairly sure you need those ports open only if you're hosting.

If you're using a wireless for home use, then I'm fairly certain you have a router. You'll need to open the ports at the router, and also with the two (TWO?!) firewalls on your computer. However, since you don't know what a router is... you'll need to find someone who does - i.e. the person who set up the network in your house.
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby WingZero » March 30th, 2008, 3:52 pm

@ inferno:

Read entire post before doing a thing.

Use this guide to set up a static IP address:
http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Then use this guide to forward your ports:

http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... rindex.htm

Find your router on that list (you'll need company and model) then follow the (picture filled) guide.

It'll teach you how to foward ports (just click anything in the list of applications, im fairly sure WindomXP isn't there, and the instructions are the same for every application, just change the port numbers).

But before that, you have to make sure you have administrative access to your router (i.e. know what the user name and password is) or don't bother at all, because you won't be able to alter anything.

(I would also recommend logging into your router and taking a look at "application support" (might be named differently depending on your router) and see what you can do there. For example, my router only lets me put 6 letters into the "app name" field, which means I can't enable ports for pretty much anything.)

Note: Before messing with your internet settings (i.e. setting up static IP): WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. Every default setting must be recorded so if you screw something up, you can always revert back to get it working again. The guide is fairly straightforward, but it's still better to have someone who knows their stuff to help. Note that if you do mess up somewhere, you will not be able to go on the internet or do anything (which means revert back to your old settings immediately, and try/do not try again). <<>>

That being said, if you're careful with following instructions, there shouldn't be a problem.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Return to WindomXP Chat