Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden translation is in the working

Post about your projects or talk about mirror moon projects that haven't been announced yet... or something.

Moderator: Staffers

Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden translation is in the working

Unread postby Dylan » August 23rd, 2004, 7:39 am

Hey, as you might of guessed already, I'm Dylan and I'm working on a Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden project. Now, wait, wait, I know what you?re saying, "Aw, forget this. It's just another lame name and mecha translation from some guy doesn't even know Japanese." I however, do know alot of Hiragana and Katakana. I'm pretty motivated to finish this and even though it will take alot of challenge and hard work, it'll be well worth it for the many SRW fans out there to see Alpha Gaiden in English. There's only one slight problem though, I'm not that good at hex editing and I'm looking for someone who has a fair ammount of talent in it.
Still don't have faith in this project! Well here are some name translations I did with my talent of Japanese(Please note: I've only translated the first names, not the last):

Kacricon
Original Text: Image
Romanji: Kakurikon

Qautre(I got Katra, but his official name is Qautre.)
Romanji: Katoru

Quattro
Romanji: Kuwatoro

Michiru
Romanji: Michiru

Jerrid
Romanji: Jierido

Bran
Romanji : Buran

Yep! As of July 24, 2004 I've updated a few mecha translations I also got to doing. The reason why I have so little at the moment, is because I'm translating as I go on in the game, so far I'm on scenario 4(On the path you take if you DIDN'T choose to protect the base.).
Daitarn 3
Original Text:Image
Romanji : Daitan 3

Gundam Sandrock Custom
Romanji: Gandamu Sandorock Kasutamu

Qubeley MK II
Romanji: Kiyuberei MK II

ZZ Gundam
Romanji: ZZ Gandamu
Last edited by Dylan on November 20th, 2004, 6:19 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Dylan
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Gillian Seed » August 23rd, 2004, 8:54 am

:shock: I hope you can translate more than kanas...
Coz I know all of them too, it's not a big deal. It's much more difficult to learn the kanjis :o
Good luck ! :wink:
jmp $
Gillian Seed
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Dylan » August 23rd, 2004, 9:40 am

Gillian Seed wrote::shock: I hope you can translate more than kanas...
Coz I know all of them too, it's not a big deal. It's much more difficult to learn the kanjis :o
Good luck ! :wink:

Yeah, learning Kanji is going to be difficult, but very important at the same time, since most mech names and dialogue include it, but if that's what it takes to finish this, I'm willing.
Dylan
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Soulfang » August 23rd, 2004, 7:40 pm

Gideon Zhi is working on this game already.
Soulfang
Is this loli?

Unread postby Dylan » August 24th, 2004, 1:45 am

Soulfang wrote:Gideon Zhi is working on this game already.

Hahaha. Nothing bad about two people working on the same project. Anyway, I've done a few updates to the first post here, I've added some more character names I've translated and even a few mecha, hope you enjoy.
Dylan
Totally hardly posted

Re: Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden translation is in the work

Unread postby emperor » August 24th, 2004, 10:46 pm

Dylan wrote:Jerrid
Romanji: Jielido

Dunno where you learned your Katakana (especially since you use l instead of r) but something's strange here..ジェ should be je and not jie, as ジエ is jie. I am not complaining, just asking if that is some kind of other style... what is ジエ to you then? Same for kyu. And also ック should also be kku and not ck (i am obviously talking about the romanization, not the endresult of the name) . Btw.. it's ローマ字 【ローマじ】 / [ro-maji] and not romanji.
emperor
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Zoel » August 25th, 2004, 8:28 am

I don't know , i have a feeling this guy just basing his knowledge off a dictionary. I have no japanese knowledge , but my dictionary says Je not Jie , so i don't know. But the L and R thing is defintely right , you should never have L in romanji names.
Zoel
Might just like this board

Unread postby emperor » August 25th, 2004, 8:49 am

So you looked in a dictionary...maybe he used a katakana table and was not even aware of the fact that there are those "more" letters by combining a normal size with a smaller letter. Btw please Zoel, not you as well, look in your dictionary and tell me where you find that n in ro-maji.
emperor
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Zoel » August 25th, 2004, 7:08 pm

Yea . it's called Rōmaji in my dictionary. I'm to use to calling it Romanji because my friend always called that.
Zoel
Might just like this board

Unread postby emperor » August 25th, 2004, 7:53 pm

Yeah there are those that make ou (or o-) to ō (I've even seen ?), I use whatever I need in order to produce the word in the IME, except for
づ  ぢ でぃ and てぃ therefore i write ro- for ロー.
That it was your friend who told you does not surprise me, I assumed it because people get told by their friends that its called like that, then they tell their friends and so it spreads like a virus. Where i started to learn jpn there was clear message to kick everybody who does and to tell other people also to do so (maybe give your friend some advice?). Just trying to help you that you won't do the mistake, I think if you actually talked with some ppl who know jpn well it would be sort of embarrassing to write it incorrectly :P (espcially if you used IME's kanji conversion and ended up with something like ロマン時 instead of ローマ字)
(The funniest thing I've seen so far as a result of writing it incorrectly was 炉卍, indeed people who write words incorretly and press space whenever they think are funny).
emperor
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Dylan » August 26th, 2004, 7:54 am

emperor wrote:
Dylan wrote:Jerrid
Romanji: Jielido

Dunno where you learned your Katakana (especially since you use l instead of r) but something's strange here..ジェ should be je and not jie, as ジエ is jie. I am not complaining, just asking if that is some kind of other style... what is ジエ to you then? Same for kyu. And also ック should also be kku and not ck (i am obviously talking about the romanization, not the endresult of the name) . Btw.. it's ローマ字 【ローマじ】 / [ro-maji] and not romanji.

Thanks for the corrections! About Jerrid, I didn't get Je when I translated, but that may have been a grammatical error and since the site I learn my Kanji from is in French, you get the point. Yeah, you don't need to know French to learn the actual Kanji, but to learn the grammatical rules and everything you need knowledge of the French Language. So basically when I translate in the future, I'll look for a better site for learning the rules of using Kanji.
Dylan
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby DryMaltExtract » September 16th, 2004, 7:38 pm

Does this ghideon zhi have a web page or anything?

For alpha gaiden I've already got all the mecha names, pilot names(maybe missing a few of the originals, maybe), spirit attack names and descriptions as well as every transmission menu and battle menu in english already with a program to insert all the text into the game. IE: I've made the game totally playable, you just wont know the plot. It's up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Only reason I really stopped was because I didn't feel like figuring out how the attack names reference crap (ex: some of the attack names use the name of the robot in it and that references the robots name, making it partially translated but sometimes starts in the wrong spot because the english/jap chars don't match up, ie: i've got some that say voltess beam or whatever and others that say oltess laser, or something, I can't really remember, it was months ago.)

Had to say it kept me somewhat entertained for a while, did some messing around on alpha too since the code is almost exactly the same.
DryMaltExtract
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby DryMaltExtract » September 16th, 2004, 7:42 pm

NM, found his site. Also, he is not doing SRWAG, he's doing Super Robot Wars Gaiden: Masoukishin The Lord of Elemental, TOTALLY different game. I can tell from the small names posted here that Dylan is doing the actual SRWAG, the spinoff of SRWA that revolve dropped.
DryMaltExtract
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Soulfang » September 16th, 2004, 8:13 pm

DryMaltExtract wrote:NM, found his site. Also, he is not doing SRWAG, he's doing Super Robot Wars Gaiden: Masoukishin The Lord of Elemental, TOTALLY different game. I can tell from the small names posted here that Dylan is doing the actual SRWAG, the spinoff of SRWA that revolve dropped.

He's doing both.
Soulfang
Is this loli?

Unread postby ScriptKitty » September 17th, 2004, 8:57 am

Dylan wrote:Qautre(I got Katra, but his official name is Qautre.)
Romanji: Katoru

A lil off here, actually! I speak as a long-time Gundam Wing fan. The official spelling is "Quatre", full name being "Quatre Raberba Winner". While it's pronounced "Katra Rababa Winner", the official spelling is completely off the wall. Sort of like how a name pronounced as "Hiiro Yui" gets an official spelling of "Heero Yuy".
ScriptKitty
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby emperor » September 23rd, 2004, 7:11 pm

ScriptKitty wrote: While it's pronounced "Katra Rababa Winner"

Well why is it pronounced katra when it's written katoru? I can accept the leaving out the o, as the o is only there as it cannot be written without it ...but why should it be a ra when it's written ru? They also have a ra. If you ask me it should be pronounced katoru rababa uina-.
emperor
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby ScriptKitty » October 8th, 2004, 5:31 am

If I recall correctly from seeing Endless Waltz fansubbed, the Maganacs yell "Katara-sama" a few billion freaking times. :shock: I can try to find an audio clip, but like I said, the spelling in artbooks and in the dub/official subs is Quatre.
ScriptKitty
Totally hardly posted

Return to General Translation Projects