Coordinating F/HA translations

Post about your projects or talk about mirror moon projects that haven't been announced yet... or something.

Moderator: Staffers

Coordinating F/HA translations

Unread postby ranmafan » November 3rd, 2009, 5:28 am

I thought this could use a bit more attention... I do realize I'm reiterating the old thread, sorry!

The project now has a wiki that should answer all questions. Feel free to edit if it doesn't.

I'm tired of seeing translated snippets floating around, people translating by editing the scripts directly, etc. Let's get it done in a clean way.

So first, I've put up a simple web tool (from the Entrans project) that lets you translate the script line-by-line and then download the result in a standard format (as well as see progress, suggest similar translations, etc.). Most of the files are already up, and there are some sample translations from me and somebody else from this forum.

http://seiba.maidlab.jp/entrans/main.php

Second, I've just realized that other than commenting on the blog, I have no way of contacting Amukunau, the person who should have a good portion translated already and trying to get help. Anyone?

Third, anybody else have old material that they could contribute? Any format is fine, I will take care of converting/uploading it into the database.

Fourth, if this project starts getting somewhere, there needs to be a style/translation guide (character/place names, unusual vocab, etc.). Anyone willing to help with that?

EDIT: The project is now on TLwiki
Last edited by ranmafan on October 28th, 2011, 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ranmafan
Might just like this board

Re: Coordinating F/HA translations

Unread postby ranmafan » November 3rd, 2009, 6:11 am

So as far as I can see, here are the people/groups that have seem to have significant portions translated:

Amukunau
http://amukunau.blogspot.com
http://nrvnqsr.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... 370&page=1

Blue Gunner:
- replied
- using material probably not OK (not completely clear)
- viewtopic.php?t=744, http://nrvnqsr.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... 331&page=1

GNdynames
- replied
- using material OK, might translate more in the future

http://gndynames.wordpress.com/fateholl ... ene-index/

arai:
- replied
- using translations OK (forum posts)
- forum posts are the only source, find and save them while you can!
http://nrvnqsr.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... hread=3222
http://nrvnqsr.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... hread=3234
http://nrvnqsr.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... hread=3303

ShinMasaki:
- replied
- lost some of his material, but is willing to help out
http://www.meltybread.com/forums/akiha% ... -question/

EDIT: Status update - GNdynames.
Last edited by ranmafan on November 12th, 2009, 1:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ranmafan

Unread postby sushimonster » November 3rd, 2009, 6:38 am

I think it will be wise to concentrate with just one translator group.

Yes, there are quite a few groups out there doing the translations - but most of them have been at it for a while (years infact *cough* Amukunau *cough*). I don't think it is wise that we should go help 'who we feel like' we want to help translate - that will get us nowhere anytime soon.

The dangerous thing with FHA is that there are so many groups supposedly translating it - one group could suddenly abandon the project saying 'the are others out there'. That plus so many groups working independent of each other means the FHA fan-base is spread-out rather thinly across the board. From what I understand with mirrormoon, they had (and I will believe that they still do) a HUGE fan base when FSN Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel was being prepped; it is the fan base that keeps translators going. Quite simple ^_^

Amukunau... He is translating FHA over from Korean, and me being a full-blood Korean and long-time near-English native, I decided to assist him (plus my Japanese ain't up to scratch at the moment, but getting there...).

I'm just simply waiting for more updates, but I am actually expecting him to ditch the project before the end of this year; no offense to him (and yes, his past response noted); I think he's actually stopped translating FHA (and for quite a while now) despite what he is saying in his updates. In no way do I know the reality of his situation, but I am just expressing my personal view regarding his translation of FHA at the moment (and past few months). He may actually still be translating (I personally hope this), but from the lack of statistical updates, despite numerous requests from a few people, and his explanation in an earlier post regarding that, makes me, sadly, doubt.

I would ask that people focus on one translator group (and one who seems rather active, *cough, Amukunau is not one of them unfortunately cough*); that way we will be able to see a proper, fan-official translation sooner than later.

Word of advice - if you plan on joining a group, make sure that they have a set deadline for certain tasks, AND STICK TO THEM!!! If that don't work, then your group is good as dead as many countless others in the past...
Or, if you want to take a risk, you can setup your own group. But then, I and probably many others will only support it once you confirm a big enough fangroup...
Last edited by sushimonster on November 3rd, 2009, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

DJMax Korea Veteran Elite Member (Top 350)
sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ranmafan » November 3rd, 2009, 6:53 am

sushimonster wrote:I think it will be wise to concentrate with just one translator group.

Yes, there are quite a few groups out there doing the translations - but most of them have been at it for a while (years infact *cough* Amukunau *cough*). I don't think it is wise that we should go help 'who we feel like' we want to help translate - that will get us nowhere anytime soon.

That's what I want to do (get all translations merged together with Amukunau as the base, probably)... My goal is to make it easy to take contributions (and see exactly where we're at and what needs to be done) from anyone :)

But no point in wasting the other groups' effort, so that's why I'm trying to contact them and see if they're willing to merge the content they have already.

To make it clear, all of this is just to get a playable game. Editing to make it a *quality* playable game is a different process...
ranmafan

Unread postby sushimonster » November 3rd, 2009, 7:01 am

Hmm...
Don't you think quality is important in a visual novel?

I mean, ok. EVERYBODY wants to read FHA in English. Plain and simple. Well, I guess that is what most people want in the end.

But me being a perfectionist (and some others here to mind you...), high quality is what keeps people coming back to you and supporting you in future endeavours. Though I ain't too sure if you wish to continue translating novels like this in the future...

And for once, I will have to agree with Amukunau. Visual novels are good when written by a few people - this way the writing style (thus the characters' way of speech) is kept rather constant and unaltered throughout the game. Quality, rather simply, may be a huge factor with this in the long run, so I presume you are willing to pick a few select from somewhere to resolve this issue.......?
[EDIT] - my bad - just read your original first post. Yeah - style needs to be kept consistant for a decent read ^_^

But mate, I agree with you - allocating and making it easier like you did in the wiki style in one smart, easy to understand space is a good way to go. Though I ain't too sure how you are going to check whether the translated bits and bobs are valid translations (and ain't spam...)

Anyways, good luck - I'd love to help but Japanese is a bit of a barrier for me at the moment...
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ranmafan » November 3rd, 2009, 7:32 am

Eh, okay... I guess I did a bad job with the explanation.

As I've said, at the moment I'm only aiming to have the *rough translation* completed (no small goal in itself). Once (if) that is done to any measurable degree, we can talk about how to make it into a *quality translation*. Chances are, the editing will have to be done in an entirely different way (and indeed, probably by just one or two people).

I do want to see a quality release, really. I'm just trying to set slightly more realistic (you can stop laughing now) goals for the moment.

Hopefully that clears it up. Now, the technicalities:

The interface I have right now allows anonymous "suggestions" to be made (as many as you like per line). 1 suggestion = 1 vote. The suggestions can be later "validated" (= make sure they at least look correct) by assigned people (who, hopefully, know their way around the original text). If all else fails, I'll just do weekly/monthly validation updates myself. Of course, if someone wants to derail the whole thing with spam, they'll find a way soon enough...

This isn't set in stone, though. Since the files are in a standard format, they can be moved to another tool pretty much anytime (or, if someone wants, be edited with a specialized application offline).

The reason why I don't think a wiki is the best option (although it's been done before, for sure) is because a) the material is split into lines of text in the original files, and b) it takes far more time to translate a page of text than a single line (resulting in page editing conflicts, people unwilling to edit long pages, etc.)

Maybe I should start writing a FAQ...
ranmafan

Unread postby sushimonster » November 3rd, 2009, 7:39 am

LOL.
Nah - all good.
Your method is, from what I have seen around during my short time as a visual novel reader, a unique way of doing things (in a goodway that is).

Although I can't help with the actual translation, I am pretty keen on helping you with anything else like proof-reading (photoshop included; I have some (however small) experience with that). If you get this off the ground, flick me a message - happy to help! You seem rather intent on getting this translation going at some pace - the first person with FHA actually (more keen than Amukunau in his early days T_T*)

Anyways, cheers for the indepth explanation - sure it will help others here (and hopefully join this unifiying cause ^_^)

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ranmafan » November 3rd, 2009, 7:50 am

sushimonster wrote:Although I can't help with the actual translation, I am pretty keen on helping you with anything else like proof-reading (photoshop included; I have some (however small) experience with that). If you get this off the ground, flick me a message - happy to help! You seem rather intent on getting this translation going at some pace - the first person with FHA actually (more keen than Amukunau in his early days T_T*)

Thanks, there's definitely plenty to do (like translating images or making sure nothing's been screwed up by the conversion process) besides plain text, I just haven't bothered to look at it systematically yet...
ranmafan

Unread postby sushimonster » November 3rd, 2009, 7:59 am

Yeah. Guess this means I have to dig up my heavily scratched FHA disc from somewhere in the closet when I get the time - have uni exams and they finish this Saturday; I'm free till March next year after that (provided I don't fail any exams that is.......) - the one I did today went so bad though; missed out a few decent questions T_T*

I'll give FHA an install on my machine this coming Saturday (haven't tried it on Vista yet, only on XP; from what I saw on the TypeMoon page a few months back, there are bugs with Vista???). Anyway, will try keeping in touch!

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Cabd » November 4th, 2009, 4:48 am

It sure is crazy how people can have the same idea. I had a thought along these lines last night. My friend and I have been doing some casual translations for our own benefit, and figured we should help link them into the main project. Anyways, we can do two scenes a week, and we already did one as a test run. (The one with Saber at the docks talking about her hometown.) We are very interested in helping out the community, and so we present ourselves to you. The site you linked to was rather confusing, however. Do you have some form of a list of each scene where we could sign up to take individual ones?

~Cabd
Cabd
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » November 4th, 2009, 6:17 am

sushimonster wrote:I mean, ok. EVERYBODY wants to read FHA in English. Plain and simple. Well, I guess that is what most people want in the end.

You'd be surprised. I for one am trusting TakaJuns judgement that the game sucks monkeyballs.

Unread postby sushimonster » November 4th, 2009, 6:30 am

Yeah... I played and finished through about 90% before getting the lappie I have now; personally, and through my pretty limited Japanese, the storyline ain't as deep as I hoped it would have been (or compared to FSN).

I felt the occasional comic breaks like Shinji fearing Sakura and her diary scene, that they were actually a decent break from the main storyline, which tells me the actual story ain't as captivating. Continually repeating the same days (despite different options unlocking) got me slightly bored after a while. But then, that is personal opinion.

@Ranmafan; I tried helping on Amukunau's blog. Making this official...
I wish to present myself as a potential image (photoshop) editor/translator of images (provided there is something left to edit since this project is calling already done work). Just a note, I may need help with the Kanji and Hirigana translations so...... Anyways, I've got the time from the 7th this month onwards - just give me a job!

Just tell me if you are keen since I'm planning a Windows 7 x64 clean install (meaning I'm gonna lose Photoshop which came factory preinstalled on this lappie); will be doing a simple factory reset instead if I'm accepted [*_*]

Apart from that, I am personally intent on helping Amukunau so long as he and delta are keen on continuing (plus they are doing the Korean -> English, which I can actually translate moreorless to a high quality....)

Anyways, to all the people reading this...

WATCH THIS SPACE ^_^
Last edited by sushimonster on October 15th, 2010, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ranmafan » November 4th, 2009, 9:58 am

sushimonster wrote:Just tell me if you are keen since I'm planning a Windows 7 x64 clean install (meaning I'm gonna lose Photoshop which came factory preinstalled on this lappie); will be doing a simple factory reset instead if I'm accepted [*_*]

Your help will be much appreciated, yes... Just keep in mind that you probably won't have anything to do for the next week or so. I won't be "accepting" or "rejecting" anyone, if someone has material to contribute, I'm not going to refuse at this stage...

So I'd recommend doing a clean install and installing GIMP when you need it :)

Anyways, just give me a moment to catch up with the administrative part...
ranmafan

Unread postby ranmafan » November 4th, 2009, 10:15 am

Cabd wrote:It sure is crazy how people can have the same idea. I had a thought along these lines last night. My friend and I have been doing some casual translations for our own benefit, and figured we should help link them into the main project. Anyways, we can do two scenes a week, and we already did one as a test run. (The one with Saber at the docks talking about her hometown.) We are very interested in helping out the community, and so we present ourselves to you. The site you linked to was rather confusing, however. Do you have some form of a list of each scene where we could sign up to take individual ones?

I'm guessing you are essentially translating what you see on the screen? If so, then that list of files would definitely look confusing.

What you see there is basically the way it is organized in the game (some strings, especially repeated ones, could be slightly out of order when you look at them online, but they're all indexed in the order they appear in the game files).

If you really want to do a complete scene by yourself, you'll need to find and download the file it is stored in (try the search function at the top, or give me a key phrase or two and I'll find it myself). I will then remove it from the editable database until you're done.

More details once I get the project wiki running...
ranmafan

Unread postby ranmafan » November 4th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Project wiki is now up.

http://seiba.maidlab.jp/cgi-bin/fhawiki.pl (EDIT: on TLWiki now)

I really didn't want to host it, but given the possibly "objectionable" nature of content, I guess it can't be helped.

Most pages are editable, and all pages have a comment section (see link at the bottom), so feel free to populate it with relevant content.
Last edited by ranmafan on October 28th, 2011, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ranmafan

Unread postby LoSs » November 6th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Why didn't you hosted it on tsukuru tlwiki? It is pretty much the larges vn-translation wiki and it is really easy to coordiate a project/find necessary people on it.
LoSs
Addict

Unread postby ranmafan » November 6th, 2009, 2:54 pm

LoSs wrote:Why didn't you hosted it on tsukuru tlwiki? It is pretty much the larges vn-translation wiki and it is really easy to coordiate a project/find necessary people on it.

I didn't want to apply for hosting it there until I know whether Amukunau is willing to participate or not, but I guess I'll look into it...

I can't find anything about what's needed to apply, though. Sounds like I'll just have to bug someone on their IRC channel when I have time.
ranmafan

Unread postby nurfedui » November 6th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Hi Nurfedui here from blogspot. Was just curious if theres Hollow 9. Just finished Hollow 8. vs. Just to let you know, most of Arai's work is good (re-read them) so is Blue's.
nurfedui
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ranmafan » November 6th, 2009, 5:34 pm

nurfedui wrote:Hi Nurfedui here from blogspot. Was just curious if theres Hollow 9. Just finished Hollow 8. vs. Just to let you know, most of Arai's work is good (re-read them) so is Blue's.

If it's what I think it is (真・冒頭), then there's 12 of them to be translated, roughly 300-400 lines on average per each... I suspect they're among the more difficult ones, too...
ranmafan

Unread postby ranmafan » November 7th, 2009, 3:22 pm

LoSs wrote:Why didn't you hosted it on tsukuru tlwiki? It is pretty much the larges vn-translation wiki and it is really easy to coordiate a project/find necessary people on it.

After a short discussion on #tlwiki, this is now done. I'll update the old wiki to redirect there.

http://tsukuru.info/tlwiki/index.php?ti ... w_Ataraxia
Last edited by ranmafan on November 8th, 2009, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ranmafan

Next

Return to General Translation Projects