Coordinating F/HA translations

Post about your projects or talk about mirror moon projects that haven't been announced yet... or something.

Moderator: Staffers

nurfedui
Totally hardly posted

Re: Coordinating F/HA translations

Unread post by nurfedui » November 8th, 2009, 2:28 pm

I'll be adding more of Arai's work in the wiki, if its ok.

EDIT: Is Blue Gunner the same guy whose name happen to be "Blue" on Beast Lair?

ranmafan
Might just like this board

Unread post by ranmafan » November 8th, 2009, 2:59 pm

nurfedui wrote:I'll be adding more of Arai's work in the wiki, if its ok.

EDIT: Is Blue Gunner the same guy whose name happen to be "Blue" on Beast Lair?
I assume you mean the "entrans" webapp thing, not the wiki... but sure, go nuts. If it's up and editable, no need to ask. Just make sure it corresponds to the correct lines - there many paragraphs either split up or merged together. Once I finish with the prologue, I'll go around and validate (TLC, essentially) them.

It's not a huge priority right now, but my intention is to have at least one other translator check the translation before validating, so if someone's willing to help and is comfortable with FHA text, drop me a note, please...

And yeah, I was fairly sure that's the same guy... can always just ask him :)

nurfedui
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by nurfedui » November 8th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Will do :P Has Amukunua replied yet?

Well, I literally got nothing to do. So if theres anything I can do, I'd be willing to help. Except for stuff that concerns being fluent in japanese and korean.

ranmafan

Unread post by ranmafan » November 8th, 2009, 4:02 pm

nurfedui wrote:Will do :P Has Amukunua replied yet?

Well, I literally got nothing to do. So if theres anything I can do, I'd be willing to help. Except for stuff that concerns being fluent in japanese and korean.
Nope, no reply yet... I do understand though (first-hand experience >_<), some types of higher-level education make one forget when to have lunch, let alone on-the-side translation projects...

As far as doing something... Get a copy of the game, extract the files and figure out what else needs to be translated besides the .ks files - that should be doable without knowing Japanese, and should help get others started, too. There's probably plenty of images, plus the game menu, at least. If you have any ideas how to automate the process, even better.

Less specific, look through the (mostly untouched) files in the database and see if any lines look obviously screwed up (e.g. javascript-looking code instead of usual text formatting). I think I've gotten them all, but there might still be surprises (like yet another variation of the iscript/script_end tag).

Another possible task is to track down this "delta" person that Amukunau mentioned...

There are some hooks for machine translation in Entrans, so I might be able to cook something up that just queries babelfish or whatnot and shows an auto-translation alongside the other suggestions...

nurfedui
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by nurfedui » November 8th, 2009, 4:34 pm

I have a copy of the game but its a dummy-cut. It has useless stuff taken out.

Ima do the best I can tomorrow. Till then. I wish you luck on the project

Unread post by Message » November 8th, 2009, 5:51 pm

nurfedui wrote:I have a copy of the game but its a dummy-cut. It has useless stuff taken out.
Discussion of warez is not allowed in these forums. Official warning to nurfedui.

ranmafan

Unread post by ranmafan » November 9th, 2009, 9:51 am

Looks like there's another obstacle - the obfuscation (calling it "encryption" would be giving someone too much credit) algorithm on the game files. I couldn't find decent repacking tools, but I have a working unpacking tool (crass), insani tools and vbindiff :) Looks like it's just XOR again, but with a twist...

Also, I suggest leaving validated lines alone (kind of selfish at the moment, but IMHO passing through two translators is good enough for now)... otherwise, we'll probably end up arguing over exact translation more than actually translating things. There'll be plenty of chances to edit the final script later.

(in fact, I'll probably start removing files from editable DB once they're 100% validated)

EDIT: Seems like encryption isn't necessary for just the patch, but it still complains about the encoding. Managed to get something going with krdevui.dll and all data extracted in a folder.

Wordwrapping to be taken care of...
Last edited by ranmafan on November 9th, 2009, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Balcerzak » November 9th, 2009, 11:43 am

ranmafan wrote:There'll be plenty of chances to edit the final script later.
I don't mean to rain on your parade here, but I think that if you don't aim for quality at the beginning, at the end, nobody will care. It will be just like with Clannad. "Oh, it's good enough.", and nobody will actually finish up the TLC and editting work needed to put the final polish on.

So, if all that matters is getting a nice, playable, rough TL out to the masses is the goal, then that's great. It's purely a design choice on your part.

ranmafan

Unread post by ranmafan » November 9th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Balcerzak wrote:
ranmafan wrote:There'll be plenty of chances to edit the final script later.
I don't mean to rain on your parade here, but I think that if you don't aim for quality at the beginning, at the end, nobody will care. It will be just like with Clannad. "Oh, it's good enough.", and nobody will actually finish up the TLC and editting work needed to put the final polish on.

So, if all that matters is getting a nice, playable, rough TL out to the masses is the goal, then that's great. It's purely a design choice on your part.
What I'm trying to prevent is this situation:

- somebody translates a few lines of text
- a "validator" checks/corrects them, sets the "valid" flag
- somebody else decides to make an even more literal translation
- a validator goes back, edits the new submission and makes it the valid one instead
- somebody else decides the old one was better and resubmits it
- etc.

At some point, the process has to stop and one choice made. Since there are few people even aware of this project right now, yet a mountain of untouched material, I'm suggesting the 2-translator cutoff point. If there's enough people constantly working on the project in the future (yeah right), we can move to a duedate-based cutoff.

That said, if somebody has a better solution, do tell. Otherwise, feel free to edit whatever you like, but keep in mind that submissions for already validated lines (green checkmark) will be way at the bottom of the review pile...

Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread post by Blue Gunner » November 10th, 2009, 1:47 am

nurfedui wrote:EDIT: Is Blue Gunner the same guy whose name happen to be "Blue" on Beast Lair?
Yes, yes I am :P It would have been rather rude of me to steal someone else's translations and post the same things on this forum, wouldn't it...

Mmm.... I've said this to Ranmafan, but I really don't like the way this kinda thing runs. Having it open as it is... well, I know from translating scenes that arai had translated that even two translators can come out with exceptionally different things... which always leads to arguments and so on, and who's responsibility is it to decide who's translations are best &c &c. But, if it's the will of the people, then far be it from me to prevent you all having fun.

To be honest, I would prefer a single translator working on it, which is the main reason I stopped working on it when amukunau started his translations and seemed to be powering ahead of my pitiful attempts around schoolwork, living overseas &c. However, this raises issues when deciding on who this translator is to be, how often do they update and so on. If it's true that amukunau has given up translating F/HA and people are happy with them then I'm willing to begin translating again, however I cannot make a commitment to this until February next year, as I will be overseas from the end of November and have exams for the next two weeks. So, really what gets done until then is of no concern to me, however if you all would like me to resume translating, please let me know.
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread post by sushimonster » November 10th, 2009, 11:00 am

Ah... I think we are actually going to be bringing some of the original translators out of retirement at this rate... Oh well - a renewed attempt is better than none I'd always say...

Anyways, have finished exams.
Loaded on Windows 7 x64 onto my lappie with a clean install (after 4x attempts), and have also installed Photoshop Elements 6 off my lappie's original recovery discs (don't flame me: I extracted and installed off my lappie's recovery discs, so no warez at all!!!). Have found my FHA discs behind my bookshelf and not in the wardrobe as expected. Just getting XPMode loaded up for Susie to run properly now.

Just wondering, I have played around with Susie in the past and have noticed that the files in the xp3 package for FHA have a strange extension for the packed images. I remember reading around these forums (back in the day with the old forum design) but does anyone have any suggestions before I attempt editing.....? Might as well ask since its gonna take a while to setup XPMode for me at the moment...

Cheers in advance...

PS - Install Windows 7 on lappies at your own risk -_-

ranmafan

Unread post by ranmafan » November 10th, 2009, 11:44 am

sushimonster wrote: Just wondering, I have played around with Susie in the past and have noticed that the files in the xp3 package for FHA have a strange extension for the packed images. I remember reading around these forums (back in the day with the old forum design) but does anyone have any suggestions before I attempt editing.....? Might as well ask since its gonna take a while to setup XPMode for me at the moment...
I see nothing but bitmaps and PNGs in image.xp3 so far. If you do run into TLG files that need to be edited, I believe the kirikiri SDK includes conversion tools. Btw, please update the "Project tools" page if you get susie to extract them correctly...

I also see stupid hacks like images of individual syllables, and just plain text images. Depending on how badly they rushed to get FHA out the door, full translation might be a little more involved than just replacing them with English text...

Ideally, we should have a proper (i.e. truetype or whatever, as long as it's standard) latin font that matches their stuff...

(Lastly, you might want to just set up a winxp/2k VM (e.g. with virtualbox), since you'll probably need it for testing later, anyway)

ranmafan

Unread post by ranmafan » November 12th, 2009, 1:04 pm

GNdynames' been reached, OK'ed using his material, and might even be willing to help out later. Woohoo!

Archangel
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by Archangel » November 30th, 2009, 1:37 pm

I'm great with photosop ( it isn't boasting, it's just the truth ) and image editing so is there anything i can do to help with ANYTHING AT ALL?

I just have to play this already... i've been following groups picking and dropping this project for over a year now, just please tell me how i can help

ranmafan

Unread post by ranmafan » November 30th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Archangel wrote:I'm great with photosop ( it isn't boasting, it's just the truth ) and image editing so is there anything i can do to help with ANYTHING AT ALL?

I just have to play this already... i've been following groups picking and dropping this project for over a year now, just please tell me how i can help
Good timing.

Image editing has been delegated to Sushimonster, so he can probably fill you in on the details. The wiki should have all the general info you need, so have a look through that. Make a note if it doesn't, and I'll try to correct that.

Another useful thing to do would be to figure out how to package the thing - we've been using krdevui.dll from the Kirikiri SDK (lets you use extracted data instead of .xp3 files), and I've not had much luck producing patch.xp3 file in a format that the game would accept.

I'll try to see how much more needs to be done for the main route, but I think it should be feasible to produce around half an hour worth of (very roughly translated) uninterrupted gameplay by the end of the year... maybe more if another translator finishes his/her final exams and helps out :)

Also, I'm planning to set up a Subversion server (or similar) to organize the actual image content sometime this week.

Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » November 30th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Ok I have to ask this, but how is the compilation of the translation comming so far? I only ask this since I kind of lost track on what's been going on with this project for quite some time here.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread post by sushimonster » November 30th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Check at
http://vps.k-link.net/entrans/main.php

You can also help there if you want (and we are looking for as many fluent readers as possible)
We are sitting on 7.4% at the moment though.
I remember reading on BeastLair a few weeks back (an old post) and Amukunau had translated a considerable amount. The exact amount, I think it was like 1MB or 3MB of text or so.

You can check ranmafan's updates at
http://tsukuru.info/tlwiki/index.php?ti ... w_Ataraxia

Image editing
http://tsukuru.info/tlwiki/index.php?ti ... ing_images

That is all I've managed so far from a total sum of 1400 images or so...

So I am hoping with ArchAngel's help, we can pick up the pace (at least, in the image-editing department for now)

EDIT: I''ll upload screenshots to my Picasa account when signifcant breakthroughs are made. You'll be able to check them out at TLWiki. Spoiler message has also been added there
Last edited by sushimonster on December 9th, 2009, 1:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread post by metal_cocoabo » December 8th, 2009, 11:28 am

A little late to the party but I'll offer my help in the image editing department if it's still needed.

ranmafan

Unread post by ranmafan » December 8th, 2009, 1:04 pm

metal_cocoabo wrote:A little late to the party but I'll offer my help in the image editing department if it's still needed.
Hehe, it's never too late.

Despite the impression you might get from sushiemonster, we aren't that strict :-) Using SVN (i.e. revision control) to store/upload content is the only thing that I would really ask people to use, the rest is up to you.

I don't see any problem with posting screenshots or even (un)translated images, actually... I mean, what can someone possibly do with a handful of in-game images, really - you still need a copy of the game from somewhere to use them. Might want to watch out for spoilers, though.

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread post by sushimonster » December 8th, 2009, 10:16 pm

^_^*

I try not to give out the wrong impressions... But what the heck~~~

Yeah - as long as you are able to translate over from Japanese to English, and provided you have some skill with GIMP (or anything that can handle 32bit .bmp files), then all good.
Actually, we need all the help we can get at the moment, so any form of help is very welcome.

Hmm... I guess I'll post up only the significant SSs to highlight the progress being made. Keep watching the TLWiki then;will be posting up something within the next few hours

EDIT: EMIYA RESIDENCE MAP GUI is now complete. Apologies for the slow progress. Check out the TLWiki for the in-game screenshots:
http://tsukuru.info/tlwiki/index.php?ti ... ing_images

Enjoy...