Cannonball Translation Project

Post about your projects or talk about mirror moon projects that haven't been announced yet... or something.

Moderator: Staffers

Would you be interested in seeing Cannonball Translated?

Yes :)
92%
No :(
8%

Total votes : 13

Cannonball Translation Project

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 10th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Hello, and first off, I'd like to say that I'm a long time lurker that just registered who loves your translations. Thank you so much for Utawarerumono, Tsukihime, Fate/stay night and all your other projects. They let me enjoy those VNs that otherwise I never would have gotten to see. You guys are great, keep it up :D

Now, on to the matter at hand. I would like to start my own translation project for the VN Cannonball (http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=17403). I know that translating it will be no small feat, and thats why I came here for advice on how to get started.

First off, and please correct me if I'm wrong, a translation of a VN would require four main categories of skill sets: Translating, Programing, Image Editing, and Proofreading.

*)Now for the Programing and Image Editing after asking around I believe I have a sufficient amount of skilled people, myself included, who are able and willing to do what is required.

*) Proofreading I think will be able to be outsourced to volunteers not directly involved with the project once the translation is done.

*) And now for the biggest problem, Translation. I don't have a translator and would like to know where to find one. I know that this is the most important part and that translators are by far the rarest and most sought out of all these skill sets.

So my question is: where can I find a translator, or at least where should I start looking? And also please give me any other advice about starting up, logistics, or anything else that may help.

Oh, and anyone is interested in volunteering or helping out please post here!

Thank you very much! *sorry for the wall of text :)
    :D :D

*Edit*: Found a description in english: http://vndb.org/v602
    Last edited by CrimsonFox on April 11th, 2009, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » April 10th, 2009, 8:14 pm

First of all, you're probably better off asking these things in gemot. The mirror moon forums host mostly players, not programmers or translators. So I suppose the answer to your first question is: Try there.

Second, you should not underestimate the need for an editor. You may not want all your proofreaders to offer full-line suggestions about the translation itself, as that can very quickly become a big mess. Having someone to fix up the translation as a whole usually works better than having to choose from a dozen suggestions from all your proofreaders (who usually don't know that much about Japanese). It's possible without an editor, but I don't recommend it.

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 10th, 2009, 11:54 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I will definitely check out gemot.

The reason I stated the proofreading as least important was because as it is at the end of the project, hopefully the momentum that we have gathered now that it is close to realization will help us pick up editors with sufficient knowledge of Japanese more easily than finding members for the other parts of the project. Thank you for your advice, I will try and keep the editors to a skilled few so that it goes more smoothly.

Do you have any other advice? And on that note anyone here feel that they might be interested in joining or helping out in some fashion?

Sigh, if only my native language of Russian had VN. Then I wouldn't have to worry about translators :D
    CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 11th, 2009, 5:22 am

Managed to insert one line of text that I translated using google translate.

And the edited version:

No formatting of course, but this is just to show that I can insert some text.
    CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Atriel » April 11th, 2009, 5:54 am

Well, if you are interested in a proofreader I can help with that, though you probably have loads of potential proofreaders. Why that? I don't know japanese, I know about editing as much as I know of astrophysics. And programming, i'm still an utter newbie at it. I'll be having a long summer break so that will really help my speed, but that completly depends on wheter it's translated by then.

Sorry I can't really do anything else :P

And lastly, good luck with your project.

Edit: Woot, my avatar is back! I thought the mods had it removed or something D:

Uh... I can't quite grasp what she is saying. (The pic, doesn't make sense to me.)
    Last edited by Atriel on April 11th, 2009, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Atriel
    OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby that one guy » April 11th, 2009, 5:56 am

I can help edit, if need be. I'm decent with grammar and spelling.
    that one guy
    Crack Desu!

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 11th, 2009, 6:49 am

Thanks for the help. But before we can proofread, we need to have someone translate so we have something proofread :D

Atriel wrote:Uh... I can't quite grasp what she is saying. (The pic, doesn't make sense to me.)

I think she is an announcer at some sort of sporting event. It's the third 'page' from the start.
    CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » April 11th, 2009, 7:54 am

CrimsonFox wrote:The reason I stated the proofreading as least important was because as it is at the end of the project...

Actually, my point was that proofreading and editing are very different things. Like I said, it may not be a good idea to have your proofreaders edit the translation.

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 11th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Message wrote:Actually, my point was that proofreading and editing are very different things. Like I said, it may not be a good idea to have your proofreaders edit the translation.

Oh, I see what your saying now. I agree completely, and so hopefully along with the main translator we can find someone else with knowledge of Japanese that can help edit and/or speed up the translation.
    CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby AddleBoy » April 11th, 2009, 7:07 pm

I really wish I could help with this. I'm in the middle of learning Japanese, and it's my dream to become a translator and do stuff like this. I don't know enough to be effective, though. ):
    Then you realize... That there is no loli. And it's not the loli you're molesting, it's yourself.
    AddleBoy
    Crack Desu!

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 11th, 2009, 8:26 pm

AddleBoy wrote:I don't know enough to be effective, though

Do you think you might know enough to assist someone else who is translating?

Before making this thread, I discussed this with a few other people who are willing to help out and we came to an agreement to try and translate either Cannonball or Beat Blades Haruka. Due to one person's love of this game we thought we would try and see if we could get this translated and if not we were going to try and do Beat Blades Haruka.

Do you guys feel that Beat Blades Haruka would generate more enthusiasm?
    CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » April 11th, 2009, 9:46 pm

First off can you give a a discription on both of them just incase. Anyways can you post up some info on both of those games then.

I only ask this since I'm curious of the two.
    - Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
    Kid-Wolf
    I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 11th, 2009, 9:59 pm

CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » April 11th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Hmm... so a catgirl basied game, or another Beat Angel series made into a game. That one is a tough call even for me.

Although catgirls are always fun to work with. *chuckles*

Besides a cat is fine too, but a catgirl is much better though. :lol:
    - Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
    Kid-Wolf

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 14th, 2009, 3:54 am

Cannonball Status Update: All images(menu, CG, etc.), menu text, and scripts have been extracted.

Now a translator is needed...

...and in the event that one isn't found, I have an idea that I'm working on right now that might make it possible to resolve this issue. And for that idea I would need the help of some of you. And it wouldn't require much skill beyond native english... :twisted: I'll say more when I have done some more testing on my idea.
    CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » April 15th, 2009, 1:00 am

I'm partial towards Beat Angel.
    If you need someone with English knowledge, I may be of some help. I still do have some errors here and there.
    "I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
    Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
    abscess

Unread postby Arcueid Brunestud » April 15th, 2009, 1:22 am

I would like see it translated and brought to the USA.
    Arcueid Brunestud
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » April 15th, 2009, 2:06 am

Arcueid Brunestud wrote:I would like see it translated and brought to the USA.

Hmm.... I'm betting they are talking about fan translation, thus it's not exactly going to be brought to the US.

Also, as two of us already said in another thread, fix your avatar; it's annoyingly huge.
    "I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
    Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
    abscess

Unread postby CrimsonFox » April 15th, 2009, 4:39 am

Well my experiment resulted in failure. I was attempting to create an application that presented the user with both the games script in it untranslated version, and three different feeds form machine translators. I was hoping that by having a user read the three different machine translated lines and then to have the proofreader enter their grammatically correct version of the three machines broken english text.

What it looked like if your curious:

I was hoping that by using this the bulk of the simple conversations and scenes could be translated reasonably well, and then a skilled translator could do editing and finish the more complex parts, saving both time and work for the translator. Unfortunately, Cannonball seems to be written in too complex language for the machine translators. I heard Liarsoft games in general use pretty difficult language, so maybe it would have been better to try this out on a simpler VN.

If you think that this idea has any merit and can think of a simple VN to try it on, I would be very grateful for your suggestion. Or if you think its horrible, please say so as well.
    CrimsonFox
    Totally hardly posted

Unread postby AlinSabel » April 15th, 2009, 5:38 am

No, that's just an example of how bad machine translations are.
    AlinSabel
    DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Translation Projects