Higurashi in English

Post about your projects or talk about mirror moon projects that haven't been announced yet... or something.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 7th, 2009, 5:35 pm

I1nk wrote:
NonExistence wrote:then maybe it's time for them to relinquish those supports to other translation groups that can actually translate. i'm sorry, but after edelweiss and hinatabokko, and then hearing they're gonna do dc and suika... no. just no.

Was it that bad? I never bought anything from them yet, but I was thinking about getting D.C since I like the anime. (I didn't like the main char decisions though) Anyway I can't wait till When They Cry fully translated patch comes out. Has anyone played Rena's mini game? I can only get though one punch before game over.

I also love the Rena pun story. It's becomes very funny near the end.

It was...frightening. Listen, let's just say that it was close to 1337 typing quality. :P
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Re: Higurashi in English

Unread postby X-Calibar » July 4th, 2009, 7:07 am

Andddd MangaGamer takes with Higurashi .......
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Maes » July 4th, 2009, 10:28 am

Interesting if they are going to do their own translation and release it. I wouldn't buy it from them though... I'd rather have a physical copy of the game and a fan patch than a digital copy, especially since Ryukishi07's attitude toward fan translations is a very positive one.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » July 4th, 2009, 3:14 pm

So want to play this game when it's finished being tra nslated and edited. Although MangaGamers are kind of infamoous on not doing much edit work on thier stuff though.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby I1nk » July 4th, 2009, 8:12 pm

I don't know what way to go for this one now. Even though I only have a digital copy of Higurashi. Having a digital copy dose not brother me too much. Since Melonbooks use buddy, but you do need to be online to play the game sadly. (To login). It didn't seem like I had to register, but again I was just guessing my way through buddy.

The Fan Translation group is also waiting for an reply from Mangagamer.

I am torn apart by this. I don't know which way to go right now. I do want to support bringing VN to other languages, but the fan group were doing a great job too.
"Night closed night, other night, night pain, night sink, is night/stay night."
I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » July 4th, 2009, 10:34 pm

If that's the case I rather have the hard copy of the disk and have the fan group's translation over the MangaGamers any day. I mean you don't have to worry about the company going under or anything like that with the hard copy.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 4th, 2009, 11:40 pm

So far, MangaGamers games have all been merely 'go online once to register'. The DRM is still going to piss people off...

The issue with their editing appears to be resolved, having hired some native English speakers to proof read it.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Maes » July 15th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Well, I figured it would happen, but since MangaGamer has the rights to distrubute the english version of Higurashi, the fan translation is done. :(
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby I1nk » July 15th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Maes wrote:Well, I figured it would happen, but since MangaGamer has the rights to distrubute the english version of Higurashi, the fan translation is done. :(

Yep they even took down the links for the patch.
But the fan group also had the blessing form the company too, but oh well.
But I can't say I am not looking forward to this though. Since they even said they are going to release the next game too. Hopefully they will do the third one too.
I can't wait till OCT.
I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Maes » August 3rd, 2009, 12:25 pm

Interesting little tidbit about the Higurashi translations here: http://novelnews.net/2009/08/02/when-they-translate/

tl;dr version:
...it appears that the rights on an English translation held by HOBIBOX and thus MangaGamer were not exclusive. That is, it would be possible legally for other translations to exist concurrently. Furthermore, given 07th Expansion’s attitude towards fan translations, as can be seen in emails both public and private, it appears that 07th Expansion still can and will likely still allow for fan translations of Higurashi, despite MangaGamer’s plans to publish a commercial English translation. Therefore, Sonozaki Futago-tachi have decided to continue in their efforts to translate Higurashi, but they also suggest MangaGamer’s version as well for people who do not want to wait as long.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » August 3rd, 2009, 2:14 pm

So in the end we're having two separate groups doing the translaton then? For some reason I feel that might be a good thing after all. For some odd reason I'm trying to figgure out where to get these games along with Umineko (Seagulls) games.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby I1nk » August 3rd, 2009, 9:44 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:So in the end we're having two separate groups doing the translaton then? For some reason I feel that might be a good thing after all. For some odd reason I'm trying to figgure out where to get these games along with Umineko (Seagulls) games.

You can get the Umineko game from here http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info. ... s_id/11978 but they also seem to have a new game coming out called Umineko no Nakukoro ni Chiru -End of the Golden Witch- (Doujin). I don't know anything about this game.

For Higurashi you can also get it from here http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info. ... ts_id/2237 or here http://www.melonbooks.com/item/goods/id ... 0000111068. I got mine from Melon books. The twins blog will tell you how to use Melon books if you don't know how to. http://sonozakifutagotachi.blogspot.com ... -game.html

Anywho That is some great news. Even though I am still going to go with MG for now since their release will come out sooner then the fan release of the game. But I do plan on getting both since I already bought all three games of Higurashi.
"Night closed night, other night, night pain, night sink, is night/stay night."
I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Akeashar » August 4th, 2009, 11:26 pm

I have a physical copy of Higurashi, but I'll still chase down the Mangagamer one. I think its important to support the Japanese publishers who are getting their stuff out... especially since they're getting more proofreaders for the next flood of titles. ^^; (Higurashi, Soul Links, Shin Kohime Musou...)

One thing that apparently happened at the convention Mangagamer was at, was discussions between them and the fan translater for Soul Links to buy his script off him that he was working on...
Akeashar
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » October 4th, 2009, 8:54 pm

So how much of this is completed as of now? I only ask since I know that there is one chapter that I'd like to actually read since they haven't animated it at all.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Message » October 5th, 2009, 4:02 am

http://sonozakifutagotachi.blogspot.com/

There's also [Hinamizawa_Club]_Minagoroshi_Chapters_6&7__-_Matsuribayashi_ver.rar and [Hinamizawa_Club]_Minagoroshi_Chapters_6&7__-_Minagoroshi_ver.rar, but these people dropped the project.

For Umineko, see http://witch-hunt.com/

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » October 5th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Well I know for Umineko they are in the midst of translating episode 5. I mean I've played that series all the way to episode 4. Although the group at Witch Hunt said something about that very Higrashi translator group when they did thier patch update faqs.

With that now being mentioned I almost feel like that this thread should be changed from Higurashi to the When they Cry Series thread.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby HeroMan999 » October 5th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Is Umineko split into question and answer arcs like Higrashi?

On another note, I think it would be cool if Higrashi was sold as a PS3/PSP game download. I don't know much about hacking, but I think it would be safer than the DRM computer version considering I rarely see translation products for visual novels on consoles. That and having a portable option and no issues like having to log in would be cool.
HeroMan999
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » October 6th, 2009, 12:24 am

HeroMan999 wrote:Is Umineko split into question and answer arcs like Higrashi?

Yes it is. Although if you look at it this way the first chapter of Umineko was pretty much the basic background that gives off a normal murder mystery. The later chapters tend to change that premise and make it where it turns out to be a supernatural vs. mystery story.

For Umineko the answer arcs are not going to be known as Umineko no Naku Koro ni Kai this time, it'll be Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru. Which chiru is a translation for Dispersal, or at least that's what I've been told. I mean episode 5 marks the beginning of the answer arc, or should I say dispersal arcs.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » October 17th, 2009, 4:23 am

I was wondering if there was a translation for the Higurashi Daybreak games at all as well. I only ask this since this is kind of a Higurashi thread to begin with.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby abscess » October 17th, 2009, 4:57 am

I checked quickly this site, previously mentioned by LoSs in this thread, and couldn't find it. Check it for yourself, maybe I missed it. The same thing happened with Shii's site, which I shouldn't link for reason number 2.

My educated guess is no.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

PreviousNext

Return to General Translation Projects