Popotan Po! translation help

Post about your projects or talk about mirror moon projects that haven't been announced yet... or something.

Moderator: Staffers

Popotan Po! translation help

Unread postby Jinnai » December 10th, 2008, 3:52 am

For those familiar with the game we are having some problems with a term used for the protagonist in some scenes. This is rather minor, but we need a good term for:

俺様

We have had "Sire Chris", "Master Chris" and "Lord Chris". Each one is plagued with it's own problems. Each one can be seen as a title: "Sir Chris" and "Lord Chris" could be seen as titles gives out by government authority; "Master Chris" could be seen as what a servant calls him. However each have their respective upsides. "Sir Chris" could be a form of address of respect, "Lord Chris" is a more pompus version of a title but denotes even more respect and "Master Chris" is based upon old usage of master for respect of an unmarried man. "Mister Chris" doesn't really fit either.
Jinnai
Might just like this board

Unread postby Blue Gunner » December 10th, 2008, 5:14 am

If the character is using 俺様 to refer to himself, then perhaps try to convey the arrogance through in the other words in the sentence (not easy). If he's being referred to as -様, then try to change it depending on who's speaking. Otherwise, you could always keep it -sama, if the audience you're translating for knows some Japanese, or you could include it in liner notes. Just a few suggestions.
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby Jinnai » December 10th, 2008, 8:41 am

Well since I'm here...

We are also having trouble on another one, also related to the protagonist (these are are last 2 names so soon we'll be done with that part at least...in theory)

心の中で

We already translated a similar namebox "心の声" as "Chris's Inner Voice" .... well technically "Chris's Musings" because it had the best fit.

This one we're not so sure of because we can't figure out the context. It means literally "In my heart" so we're not sure.
Jinnai

Unread postby Blue Gunner » December 10th, 2008, 9:53 am

A sentence would help. Otherwise, I'd just say something like "inside my heart", or "within my soul". Musings for 心の声 is an interesting translation, too.
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby Jinnai » December 11th, 2008, 5:50 am

心の中で is just a namespace, just like 心の声, and unfortunately with this namespace it can't be increased. We tried. :( Unless you have a better idea for the latter that will be as short or shorter.
Jinnai

Unread postby furyoftheskies » December 11th, 2008, 1:23 pm

Jinnai wrote:心の中で is just a namespace, just like 心の声, and unfortunately with this namespace it can't be increased. We tried. :( Unless you have a better idea for the latter that will be as short or shorter.

Maybe you could try "Inner Soul" or "Inner Spirit"? "Inner Heart" would make no sense, but you're right about the literal translation. It could also mean a person's conscience, but I don't know if "Inner Conscience" would work. "Inner Mind" might work as well.
Currently Translating: Pure Pure The Story of Ears and Tails AKA Pyua Pyua Mimi to Shippo no Monogatari
furyoftheskies

Unread postby Jinnai » December 11th, 2008, 11:14 pm

furyoftheskies wrote:
Jinnai wrote:心の中で is just a namespace, just like 心の声, and unfortunately with this namespace it can't be increased. We tried. :( Unless you have a better idea for the latter that will be as short or shorter.

Maybe you could try "Inner Soul" or "Inner Spirit"? "Inner Heart" would make no sense, but you're right about the literal translation. It could also mean a person's conscience, but I don't know if "Inner Conscience" would work. "Inner Mind" might work as well.
What about "Inner Self"? It actually is shorter than soul/mind with variable fonts, but I don't know if it is close enough.
Jinnai

Unread postby furyoftheskies » December 12th, 2008, 1:55 am

Jinnai wrote:What about "Inner Self"? It actually is shorter than soul/mind with variable fonts, but I don't know if it is close enough.

You can use that if you want. I don't think you'd have a problem with it since most people understand the concept of an "Inner Self" (which is pretty much the same as the sub-conscience) so use that if it works.

As long as it makes sense in the storyline, then it should be fine.

I myself am having trouble with the word 優しくて since one of the characters uses it in a variable sense. At first, I was planning to use the word "affectionate" because the character states that the main character is affectionate to her (which is true, as it happens in the storyline very much) but then again, later on, she tells him that he has to be "affectionate" to other characters as well (using the same line as above) so I just decided to change "affectionate" to "kind" instead, so that it wouldn't seem like the main character was a player or something like that (lol).
Currently Translating: Pure Pure The Story of Ears and Tails AKA Pyua Pyua Mimi to Shippo no Monogatari
furyoftheskies

Unread postby Jinnai » December 12th, 2008, 6:48 am

rofl. Well if you wanted to add some humor to it. :p
Jinnai

Unread postby furyoftheskies » December 12th, 2008, 8:02 am

It's humorous enough since the main character's best friend speaks Kansai, so the hardest thing I have to deal with is his speech. Making a character speak in slang from japanese to english is... too funny.
furyoftheskies

Unread postby Jinnai » December 14th, 2008, 5:20 pm

I ended up going with Chris and Lord Chris for 俺 and 俺様 respectively. Since I think the 2 are related and there is no easy way to say the latter in English, especially in relation to the former.
Jinnai

Unread postby Jinnai » December 19th, 2008, 2:21 am

Got another one:

遺跡上部

We don't know if "Top of [the] Ruins" or "Ruins' Top" is better. The two related ones we use "Hilltop Ruins" and "Inside Ruins". Just wanting an neutral opinion on which sounds better.
Jinnai

Unread postby Blue Gunner » December 19th, 2008, 4:08 am

Ruins' Surface perhaps? If that doesn't fit, then Top of the Ruins sounds good. Outer Ruins maybe?
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby LoSs » December 19th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Why don't you join some irc channel with japanese-speaking people and ask this sort of stuff there? Or make your own one.
LoSs
Addict

Re: Popotan Po! translation help

Unread postby Jinnai » May 23rd, 2009, 2:27 am

I don't really make an irc channel for the same reason we haven't made a website. As for asking in a Japanese channel, well, not sure that would help here. Eventually it might be useful for some stuff, but the items we were talking about here were mostly abstract concepts. We know what they literally translate as and what their intended meaning is. The problem was how to translate to a western audience and in a limited space.
Jinnai

Return to General Translation Projects