Shikkoku no Sharnoth

Post about your projects or talk about mirror moon projects that haven't been announced yet... or something.

Moderator: Staffers

Shikkoku no Sharnoth

Unread postby Suriko » November 3rd, 2008, 1:34 am

Official Site: http://www.liar.co.jp/sharnothtop.html
Getchu: http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=577145

This is a translation request for Shikkoku no Sharnoth, a horror/mystery VN from Liar-Soft. While the game is set to release on the 21st of November, the demo is freely available for download from the official site.

Plot:
Mary is a university student who she loves the town and lives a peaceful life. One night, she meets a strange man in a black suit, his dark hand leading her to an extraordinary life as she is taken to another side of the town where monsters are attacking innocent people.

With an emphasis on characterisation and setting, SnS flagrantly (ab)uses both historical and literary figures such as Bram Stoker, Agatha Christie (the protagonist), Winston Churchill and Sherlock Holmes. The game features a unique and interesting setting, a story focused on the mysteries Agatha is plunged into, and a cute British girl with heterochromia as the protagonist.

Trailer:

Sample CGs in spoiler:
Suriko
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 3rd, 2008, 3:05 am

Oh. This looks interesting.

Well, I can't really speak on behalf of Mirror Moon, but I'll just state what I believe to be true:

1. I don't think they take requests, even though you asked in a pretty good way.

2. As you said, the full game isn't even out yet; how do we know no OFFICIAL translation will be coming? Unless it's stated somewhere and if so, then ok.

3. Visual Novels usually won't start being translated until they've been released for quite awhile, at least from what I've seen.

Personally, I hope it's being officially translated, as I love Bram Strokers book, and to see a Japanese visioning of it - It would be great. If it's officially translated, it could be out before the year is over, a group like MM though, with so many projects...could be years.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » November 3rd, 2008, 6:50 pm

Hmm... That game does look interesting. Somewhoe that girl with heterochromia, other that the fact that they both have the same eye-thing, she resembles the desu-desu girl. If MM happens to pick up this project this would make me glad, but...

Mkilbride wrote:1. I don't think they take requests, even though you asked in a pretty good way.

Quoting an angry Message from another thread:
Message wrote:People, for once and for all: Stop asking for projects. We do our own stuff, find some other fools to do your work.

... enough said, sadly...
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby LoSs » November 5th, 2008, 3:22 pm

This game uses RScript ( Liar Soft classic engine ), so I won't expect anyone picking this game, cause working with it is just a pain. I played the demo of this game and can tell you that it looks pretty interesting.

Mkilbride wrote:2. As you said, the full game isn't even out yet; how do we know no OFFICIAL translation will be coming? Unless it's stated somewhere and if so, then ok.
3. Visual Novels usually won't start being translated until they've been released for quite awhile, at least from what I've seen. 

2. Don't be stupid, it won't.
3. Chaos;Head.
LoSs
Addict

Unread postby TakaJun » November 7th, 2008, 9:51 am

Well, the short answer for any translation requestion would be a "no". No matter how nicely it's asked.

Unfortunately, translating a single game takes months and months of work, and it's not something people will readily take on just because someone asks. (If each game took me only a day to translate, I'd be taking requests left and right)
And the game you are requesting is not even out yet. How will you know that the game will not turn out to be a complete flop, say, like "Shuffle!"? Yeah, I know that Liar-soft is a pretty reliable company, but you really don't know what you're getting until you play the whole thing.

Now, if you really want this project translated, there are several things you could do.

1. You could start your own translation project. Even if you can't translate, I'm sure you must be able to do something, like hacking, image editing, etc. People are much more likely to help you if scripts are extracted and ready to be inserted back into the game. If you can get the script extracted, you can always start a wiki project.

2. You could try to create hype and fans of this game. If you get enough people interested in this game, some of these fans may know of translators who may be willing to translate this game.

3. Get the translators and/or translation groups to get interested in this game and play this game. (I guess that's what you're doing here) Just hope they like it, and like it enough that they consider translating this game.

I hope that helps you
TakaJun

Return to General Translation Projects