How do you apply translation ?

Post about your projects or talk about mirror moon projects that haven't been announced yet... or something.

Moderator: Staffers

How do you apply translation ?

Unread postby Shinigami_AF » June 2nd, 2008, 2:08 am

I wonder how you apply your translations to the games ?

Translation requires japanese-english skills, of course, but this is useless without some programming skills, right ?

Cause you need to patch the game to make it works properly, and I was wondering if I could learn that.

So could it be handled by anyone motivated, or does it requires to have a 50 years experience in C++ ?
(exagerating juste a little bit ;) )
Shinigami_AF
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Chronowraith » June 2nd, 2008, 2:30 am

http://sekai.insani.org/archives/catego ... -a-hacker/

um from what little i do (mostly for fun) it isn't usually too hard (especially when someone else has broken the format for you). It CAN be very difficult if whoever made it wants it to be. Check out the link it is very useful for someone who's new to this stuff. A basic knowledge of programming is needed but you can get by simply with that (and the willingness to learn a lot and willing to accept it might take more than a few minutes to break the compress/encryption).

That being said almost any language can be used since all you are doing is specifying the way you read a file and saving the pieces of it (uncompress and decrypted) elsewhere. Hope that helps.
Chronowraith
Addict

Unread postby Shinigami_AF » June 2nd, 2008, 2:54 am

Hmm... It seems too much to learn already. I mean too much for what I want to do. Let me get to the point:

I would like, if I can get permission from mirror moon, to translate Fate/stay night into french (from your english translation, since I don't understand japanese).

But this would be too much work for me alone if I have to learn the hacking (I was actually hoping for some executable that could convert a text file into the patch for the game, for example).

Still, if I handle the translation and put it in a text file, would mirror moon be able to create a patch from it easily ?
Shinigami_AF
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby idontknoW » June 2nd, 2008, 4:01 am

Shinigami_AF wrote:I would like, if I can get permission from mirror moon, to translate Fate/stay night into french (from your english translation, since I don't understand japanese).

But this would be too much work for me alone if I have to learn the hacking (I was actually hoping for some executable that could convert a text file into the patch for the game, for example).

Still, if I handle the translation and put it in a text file, would mirror moon be able to create a patch from it easily ?

Well, mirror moon already finished the hacking part (on most parts, i believe but it should work out for the whole thing already) and probably used an efficient way to insert all of the English used. I assume they used a tool, or created one that can replace the Japanese to English. Take note, assumption.
I guess it's possible to make a patch easily, depending on how the mirror moon staff did the project (the hacking part). It's best to ask them, or wait until a moderator sees this thread of yours.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Shinigami_AF » June 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

I guess it's possible to make a patch easily, depending on how the mirror moon staff did the project (the hacking part). It's best to ask them, or wait until a moderator sees this thread of yours.

Then I'll ask. Thanks for your helpful answers, Chronowraith and idontknoW !

The translation itself is a lot of work, and since I know nothing of hacking, it would be too much work to do by myself if I had to do everything.
Shinigami_AF
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Chronowraith » June 4th, 2008, 12:11 am

I am almost positive they would help with the insertion, and maybe even the installer. PM archdemon/message/any of the technical folks from the fsn project page. Also, check around there are already tools for extracting data from xp3 files. Do a search on the mirrormoon forums even and you should find a link or at least a name for them.
Chronowraith
Addict

Unread postby Qu4Z » June 4th, 2008, 7:53 am

I'm almost positive that in any case, they would like to discuss such a derivative project with you first.
Incidentally, do you know any japanese?

Having said that, I'm all for having quick retranslations where quality translations are unavailable.
Qu4Z
Might just like this board

Unread postby Shinigami_AF » June 4th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Ok ! I've tried to contact them by IRC already but they were probably sleeping, at that time :D .

But I got a message, and am allowed to do it, but I'll have to find a hacker by myself. So if anyone can help with that, please contact me.

@Qu4z: Unfortunately, I don't understand japanese. That's why I have to use english translation... Well, it's not a big problem in that case, since their translation is pretty good.

I rather prefer reading good english subtitles than poor quality french ones, so I won't do poor quality translation either. Well, if you can read french, you'll see by yourself when I'll be done, but I don't think you'll be disapointed.
Shinigami_AF
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Qu4Z » June 4th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Glad to hear that. ^_^

I wasn't trying to diminish your translation, just thinking that referencing the original would be beneficial. Having said that,
I guess mirror moon's translation should be pretty close.

Re: a hacker, are you sure you need one? There are devtools available from insani at http://www.insani.org/tools/xp3tools-20060708.zip
Now, I haven't looked at the tools myself, but surely all the scripting is already in place, and you'd mostly have to replace the text sections, no?
(with some additional image editing, and other miscellaneous tasks, of course).

Well, I don't know. I don't really have much experience in the area.
Do wish you the best of luck, though.
Qu4Z
Might just like this board

Unread postby Shinigami_AF » June 5th, 2008, 11:53 am

I'll have a look at this, then.

Thanks !
Shinigami_AF
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby idontknoW » June 5th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Shinigami_AF wrote:But I got a message, and am allowed to do it, but I'll have to find a hacker by myself. So if anyone can help with that, please contact me.

so basically, they just gave you permission to refer to the english translations we have now (good enough) but they won't provide much assistance in regards of hacking the game code (hard part)
they probably have more than enough responsibilities i guess, it is a hard task translating the games after all.

if you have absolutely no idea, or find hacking really hard / confusing, i suggest you to find someone who's familiar with the hacking process then. added bonus if he knows the F/sn engine.

on another note, i recall hearing back then that mirror moon weren't the only ones who were able to hack through. There were other translation projects out there (although not in English. i think it was a Chinese one.) Try asking for hacking help there as well.

P.S. Qu4Z's link might prove useful. I think, those tools allow you to use the xp3 files used by fate (extract, build, whatever). Hacking in these cases, I believe, is simply extracting the text from the game, replacing it with your translations, and building it back.

Way easier said, than done.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Shinigami_AF » June 5th, 2008, 7:49 pm

Yes, with the tools I can do it, it's ok. I just really was in need of this tools. ;)

So, the hacker is that tool...
I am the translater...
But repacking the translated game is too much work for me alone, so I'll try to find some french people to help me with that.

Thanks again for all your advices, and thanks to mirror moon for allowing me to use their translation (I couldn't even have thought of translating it if they hadn't translated it from japanese).
Shinigami_AF
Totally hardly posted

Return to General Translation Projects