Another annoyed F/SN/HA fan here. Hi everybody.
(I'm limping through the game as a kanji study aid of sorts with AGTH
I'm tired of seeing projects like these approaching the problem from, IMHO, completely wrong angle. This should be done the transparent FOSS way, taking as many random contributions from as many random people as possible.
Not the "me and my buddy are going to get this done all ourselves, just watch" way (though obviously, this *does* work if you do have a dedicated team...) If they want outside help, there should be zero commitment - just let someone translate a few random lines and be on their way.
(Editing, of course, is another topic. But we can worry about that once there's an actual script to edit.)
So, I'm tired just sitting here and watching this. I want to throw some more technology at it and see some kind of result.
From my point of view, this is what needs to be done at the moment:
1. Extract the raw text (xp3tools? CRASS?). - (straightforward)
2. Convert raw text into something standard (gettext PO files?). - (not as straightforward, but doable)
3. Put up a web interface that allows (semi-)anonymous contributions (google brings up Pootle as a good candidate). - (straightforward)
4. (hard mode) Once the stars align themselves correctly, merge existing translations in (perl, scripting, manual, whatever it takes).
5. ??? - (???)
6. Profit! - (when pigs fly)
So yeah. Does this sound like a dumb idea to anyone? If so, I'll be doing my best to implement it