About Utawarerumono game (spoiler-free please)

Kemonomimi Discussion

Moderator: Staffers

About Utawarerumono game (spoiler-free please)

Unread postby Kenzu » September 12th, 2009, 7:08 pm

I recently finished watching Utawarerumono anime series and I was wondering about the game. Things like: what kind of gameplay it has, differences in storyline in comparison to anime, if there is more than 1 storyline like in Fate stay night, how long it takes to complete it and if, considering all, it's all worth it.
Please answer as spoiler-free as possible.
Kenzu
Addict

Re: About Utawarerumono game (spoiler-free please)

Unread postby solopy567 » September 12th, 2009, 9:29 pm

1. Its turn based. Every turn you move your characters and defeat the enemies. Every win and loss have a different condition. You move your characters on preset squares.

2. Pretty much the same plot as the anime, and has only one route.

3. Completion time varies. If you choose to play with the storyline, it can take a a lot of hours. Without it, not nearly as much. Also depends how fast you can finish battles
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mazyrian » September 14th, 2009, 2:15 pm

To expand a little:

1) Besides the battle, it's very similar to any VN.

3) The first playthrough took me about 20 hours. If you want full completion, it can take quite a few more time though.
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby X-Calibar » September 16th, 2009, 4:26 pm

I finally got around to playing through Utawarerumono. From what I remember of the anime, the game feels very different, especially towards the end. ... the final few stages had me thinking, "wait... was this in the anime version?".

...I was playing with the PS2 voices in place (...wouldn't have it any other way...), so I noticed these problems immediately...

...Naturally, the characters make this game. Eruruw is easily my favorite (and has an appropriately beautiful voice),...
...I didn't care for Aruruw in the anime, but the game version is just adorable. She sounds an awful lot like Marumu from Heart de Roommate, though... Benawi is a lot like me, but I'm nowhere near as badass or calculating as he is. He'd make a great emperor. Touka - I hate to admit - is a complete airhead. An amazingly powerful and loyal airhead, but an airhead nonetheless. ...

A quote from a friend who played Utawarerumono for the first time.

Basically, make sure you have the PS2 voices for the game. For some people it really makes a difference; (especially since the PS2 voice actors are the same as the anime voice actors...).
The plot is mostly similar, but more expanded. No alternative paths though...
Normal mode is good for most people. [Hard modes can be a real PAIN... :D]
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kenzu » September 17th, 2009, 7:47 am

Thanks for all the answers. I'll give it a try.
Kenzu
Addict

Return to Utawarerumono Chat