Speed problem

Kemonomimi Discussion

Moderator: Staffers

Speed problem

Unread postby uriel » June 19th, 2008, 9:50 am

Hi, I've installed utawarerumono on Vista but for some reason the game works extremely fast, both the start menu (the flames in the background) and the game itself (the characters move instantly).

I think the problem is Vista because with my previous pc (with xp) I hadn't any problem.

Do you know how can i slow down the game?
"Someone said is better to reign in hell than serve in heaven, but that is a defeatistic attitude.
I won't reign only in hell"
uriel
Might just like this board

Unread postby Henduluin » June 19th, 2008, 1:06 pm

It's because of your CPU. For some reason the game refuses to work properly on Intel Dual Cores.
The only way to fix this that I know of, is to set your desktop colors to 16bit and play the game in a window.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby uriel » June 19th, 2008, 2:11 pm

thanks, do you know the string to add at the shortcut to make it work at 16 bit? I remember the -w to make it work in a windows, but not for the 16 bit
"Someone said is better to reign in hell than serve in heaven, but that is a defeatistic attitude.
uriel

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 19th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Henduluin wrote:It's because of your CPU. For some reason the game refuses to work properly on Intel Dual Cores.
The only way to fix this that I know of, is to set your desktop colors to 16bit and play the game in a window.

Hm...I think setting the desktop colors to 16-bit is unnecessary. I have a Core 2 Duo 6400, and run Utawarerumono in a window, and it doesn't run at an incredibly fast speed. (I was not aware of this problem, in fact; the reason I started out running the game in windowed mode is because I have a widescreen monitor, and for some reason or another, fixed-aspect scaling is currently broken on Vista [for nVidia cards, at least]).
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raven » June 28th, 2008, 6:01 pm

I'm playing on Core 2 Duo as well and have no problem with it. Have you tried to run in Win2000 compatible mode?
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby uriel » June 28th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Raven wrote:I'm playing on Core 2 Duo as well and have no problem with it. Have you tried to run in Win2000 compatible mode?

I tried, but is always the same... I almost get used, to the speed, but to have less than a second to activate the 4 "circles" for the combo it's really difficult :D
uriel

Unread postby Mkilbride » June 29th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I have a Q6600 and this never happened to me =/
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Phlebas » June 29th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Q6600 is a quad core, could be an issue with dual core only (although I have no basis for it).
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby uriel » June 29th, 2008, 7:38 pm

To be precise I have a Duo T9300, it's a notebook
uriel

Unread postby Mkilbride » June 30th, 2008, 7:00 am

Phlebas wrote:Q6600 is a quad core, could be an issue with dual core only (although I have no basis for it).

Q6600 is two Dual core E6600's slaped on a die, so in essence, it is the same.

It doesn't work for my other VN's, but try enforcing V-Sync(Doesn't work with any of the Visual Novels I play through)
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Shandara » July 21st, 2008, 9:30 am

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I recently came along a utility called CPU Grabber (google it, first link)

Which solved the speed problem for Uta (replaying it again, yay!) as well as some unrelated game I needed a slowdown for. The CPUgrabber utility linked on the page effectively hogs a cpu (without actually doing anything so the temperature didn't go skyhigh).

Usage: run the utility, assign affinity for both the utility/program to 1 cpu
I had to put the utility at around 85/90 for the battles to work in 'reasonable' time (as opposed to lightning fast).
Shandara
Totally hardly posted

Return to Utawarerumono Chat