Allocating BP?

Kemonomimi Discussion

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby teiglin » February 19th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Yeah, BP carries over for sure. I have no idea what the formula looks like, but when I was going for titles that require maxing stats, I did many retries and basically just used Touka to kill everything over and over before getting Hakuoro killed. I was able to go from stats in 50s to stats in 90s in (I think) around 30 retries.
teiglin
Might just like this board

Unread postby Lynx190 » February 21st, 2008, 7:39 am

lol... when I started playing everyone told me that BP for kills did *not* carry over for retries, only EXP. I actually thought I was gaining more BP by not retrying once I found out that killing enemies multiple levels above your character gives more BP... so keeping character levels low gets them more BP per kill, but if you can just retry for more EXP *and* BP then I would have been better off overleveling.

I really shouldn't have started with Hard 3 without knowing exactly how extra BP was earned; I didn't raise anyone's tech until way later in the game, then realized too late that finishing with any combo, not just a "special" (i.e. red circle without maxed tech, the only way to combo at 1 tech), gave additional BP... thus raising tech ASAP can earn you more BP in the long run, it's just a question of how much you can afford to neglect your attack/defense and still manage to beat the battles. Not knowing any of this early enough (and not knowing I could retry for BP at all until now) I wound up with gimped characters and nearly thought I was going to have to start from scratch... finally pulled it off but took 2 entire days to get through 4 battles. At least I got the no retry title for my trouble... but I still need to get the Samurai General title, which requires another no retry game anyway :(

In particular, I wish I had maxed the twins' tech immediately (only takes 1 level to max it)... Dorii was one of my best characters at the end of the game, but he would have been even more powerful (and earlier battles would have been much easier) if I had maxed it sooner.
Lynx190
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ThunderCloud » February 21st, 2008, 8:18 pm

Lynx190 wrote:lol... when I started playing everyone told me that BP for kills did *not* carry over for retries, only EXP. I actually thought I was gaining more BP by not retrying once I found out that killing enemies multiple levels above your character gives more BP... so keeping character levels low gets them more BP per kill, but if you can just retry for more EXP *and* BP then I would have been better off overleveling.

I really shouldn't have started with Hard 3 without knowing exactly how extra BP was earned; I didn't raise anyone's tech until way later in the game, then realized too late that finishing with any combo, not just a "special" (i.e. red circle without maxed tech, the only way to combo at 1 tech), gave additional BP... thus raising tech ASAP can earn you more BP in the long run, it's just a question of how much you can afford to neglect your attack/defense and still manage to beat the battles. Not knowing any of this early enough (and not knowing I could retry for BP at all until now) I wound up with gimped characters and nearly thought I was going to have to start from scratch... finally pulled it off but took 2 entire days to get through 4 battles. At least I got the no retry title for my trouble... but I still need to get the Samurai General title, which requires another no retry game anyway :(

In particular, I wish I had maxed the twins' tech immediately (only takes 1 level to max it)... Dorii was one of my best characters at the end of the game, but he would have been even more powerful (and earlier battles would have been much easier) if I had maxed it sooner.
So, kill enemy with combo = bonus BP? If an enemy normally gives 10 BP, how much would finishing with combo give? I've got to try this out.

Also, killing enemy above you level also gives extra BP? Sorry, I just want to confirm because your wording isn't very clear to me. :P

You say that finishing with any combo gives extra BP, then wouldn't it be sufficient to just get tech to level 2? That way you can combo during every attack.
ThunderCloud
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Einherjar » February 21st, 2008, 8:33 pm

Combos are powerful and easy to do (Maybe except for Oboro, where you rely more on the animation than the circle thingy), and gives you more bp. The down side is that after 3-4 hits it does about 1 damage so it's necessary to max it if you're planning to touch it at all. Don't just upgrade it once or twice and give up (Well, in some cases it only take 1 upgrade but meh).
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Lynx190 » February 21st, 2008, 10:17 pm

I'm not exactly sure of the numbers, early on I thought there was some doubling going on, but it might just be adding 10 BP per extra hit... I'm fairly sure that the more hits in the finishing combo = more BP, so upgrading it higher than 2 *should* give more BP... however damage-wise 2 or max is the only way to go.

Based on level difference it definitely seems to be 10 BP per level of difference (with 10 being the minimum), killing an enemy 3 levels above your character with a single hit gives 30 BP for example, I'm almost 100% certain of that. Every time I've tried to come up with a formula for how the factors combine, it doesn't end up working out.

And I'm horrible at doing combos manually, if I *really* need a special attack to go off I just always use Alt to auto-combo and sacrifice the damage on the second hit (likewise if special gauge isn't full and I'm going to finish the enemy with the first hit anyway). Once I get beyond 3 hits it becomes pretty much luck whether I land any more (it took me probably hundreds of tries to land Hakuoro's 4th hit in the second tutorial). It might be partially my mouse, I think I was clicking too heavily and it was repeating the input, I did better once I started tapping it lightly; still, I can't risk it when I absolutely need a special.
Lynx190
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ThunderCloud » February 22nd, 2008, 12:53 am

Just tested this on first stage hard 3. Hakuoro killed 4 kimamao, 2 using combo and earned 210 BP. Thanks for the info!
ThunderCloud
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Sandal Hat » February 23rd, 2008, 5:13 am

You should spend all your BP in attack and techs until maxed for all you chars except hakuoro, and for him give him some defense as well. Magic defense isnt really needed unless you want the title for getting max magic defense
Sandal Hat
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby KaneDragon » February 23rd, 2008, 6:21 pm

I tested out multiple retries to boost bp and didn't see any significant increase to my bp gain at the end. But that was at the first stage, before anyone had techs raised. But I've already committed to playing Hard 2 without retries.
KaneDragon

Unread postby Question » March 1st, 2008, 4:30 pm

Does tech allow you to do magic attack combos? I dont see any reason to increase it otherwise.
Question
Crack Addic!

Unread postby KaneDragon » March 1st, 2008, 8:27 pm

Well, unless you're trying to get the all-techs-raised title...
KaneDragon

Previous

Return to Utawarerumono Chat