Real Translation Questions. Translators please answer...

Kemonomimi Discussion

Moderator: Staffers

Real Translation Questions. Translators please answer...

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 15th, 2008, 5:41 am

Write down here, if you have any question about the translation of Utawarerumono. How it was actually written, how is it in real japanese. Ask Ryuusoul cs here.. You guys will answer, right?
Last edited by lolipedofin on February 15th, 2008, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 15th, 2008, 5:47 am

I actually got quite a lot of question... but i forgot most of 'em :( .

Well, let's just start with what i remember ok?

In the first Kamyu appearance, after she was caught by Munto and Urtoriy, there's a joke or maybe a pun will be more accurate... When Urtoriy said that the Precedent will be (something, i forgot) and then Kamyu aswered Don't worry i'll get a lot of votes and be president. It's not exactly right that as i forgot most of the dialogues, but yeah, it was about precedent and president... Is that the real pun in japanese? or was it localized? if it is localized, can you please tell us what the real pun is?
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Ryuusoul » February 15th, 2008, 10:06 am

Yes, that one was a pure localization.

「このまま甘やかしては、他の者に示しがつきません」
「そ、そ、そんなことないよ! 付く、着く、突くってば! エイッ、ぷすっ‥‥うわぁ、突かれた〜」

Kono mama amayakashite wa, hoka no mono ni shimeshi ga tsukimasen.

So, so, sonna koto nai yo! Tsuku, tsuku, tsukutteba! Ei, pusu... uwaa, tsukareta~

The pun is the "tsuku" in shimeshi ga "tsukimasen" (stay/apply/stick) and the "tsuku" (stab/thrust/hit) that Kamyu uses.

In retrospect, it could've been "If we go easy on you now, the lesson will not stick with others." (but this doesn't quite flow as well... the meaning is more of "setting a bad example")

"Y-y-yes it will! It, it, it will stick! Hyah! Splat!... aahh, you got me!" (stick as in poke... this is closer to the original pun)

Or anything else equally as silly. Like "Ah, I'm stuck... help...!"

I just decided to keep the original meaning of being a bad example (setting a bad precedent) and having Kamyu's pun based on that.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 15th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Well, another lame pun from japan.... :lol:

I still find it funny how japanese made some intentionally lame pun, and then people laugh on the lameness of the pun (me included)...

Any other localized joke or text that u wanna explain in english Ryuusoul...?? I kinda forgot most of 'em... maybe after i re-played it, im gonna ask for more... in the meantime, do you have any TL note of the game that u wanna share here??
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Ryuusoul » February 15th, 2008, 5:21 pm

I don't know. Did you check out the entire Translation Notes section in the Liner Notes?
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Bansho » February 26th, 2008, 5:07 pm

There's not a whole lot in translation notes section regarding in-game material...
at least not for me...
Bansho
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Irbis » March 2nd, 2008, 1:18 pm

By the way:

Translator wrote:The only Japanese words that I can remember not translating and having furigana were the terms of address. The rest of them are made-up words or intentional variations on Japanese. There is one notable exception to this late in the game, but it's a spoiler, so I won't mention it here. In order to get the reference, I've left it in Japanese.

Um, so what was that exception/reference? I haven't seen anything that might fit that description. :?

Oh, and what 'nyamo' and 'saharie naturita' meant?

And one last thing: above made-up words there was a translation - but above certain words there were just three to six dots, instead of letters. Was that WAD or my game just messed them for me?
Irbis
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Henduluin » March 2nd, 2008, 2:13 pm

nyamo, as far as I know, doesn't mean anything. The guy uses it to sound cute or something, much like Suiseiseki's "desu". Ok, not entirely comparable since desu actually does have a meaning, but not at the frequency she uses it.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Cent » March 3rd, 2008, 11:04 am

Better comparison would be Naruto's 'dattebayo' or several characters' 'nyu~'.
Cent
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Ryuusoul » March 4th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Irbis wrote:By the way:

Translator wrote:The only Japanese words that I can remember not translating and having furigana were the terms of address. The rest of them are made-up words or intentional variations on Japanese. There is one notable exception to this late in the game, but it's a spoiler, so I won't mention it here. In order to get the reference, I've left it in Japanese.

Um, so what was that exception/reference? I haven't seen anything that might fit that description. :?

Oh, and what 'nyamo' and 'saharie naturita' meant?

And one last thing: above made-up words there was a translation - but above certain words there were just three to six dots, instead of letters. Was that WAD or my game just messed them for me?

Well, for those who have played the game,

The word is "maruta". This means "logs" in Japanese and was the code word used during world war 2 when they used prisoners for experiments. It was a way to dehumanize the prisoners and make it easier to conduct experiments on them. The scientists use "maruta" to refer to their experiments.

Saharie Naturita... I think she uses the phrase twice in the game. Once during her ero scene and the other at the very end. It's pretty much a confession of love. I don't remember exactly if it is supposed to mean "beloved" or just "I love you." It may have just been something that was never translated and left up to the reader being able to read between the lines.

The dots above the words in some cases was intentional. It was used either for emphasis or for nuance. In either case, that is how it was in the original game.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Return to Utawarerumono Chat