Let's Review the game! *Spoilers Infested Thread!*

Kemonomimi Discussion

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 23rd, 2008, 10:20 am

Really?? Diy is onbi.... it's just sound so different from Kuuya's explanation as she explained Onbi as the God before his spot is overtaken by Witsy... and i believe that Diy happens to be other part of Witsy... Wasn't the final boss is the unification of Hakuoro and Diy??
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby galvenize » February 23rd, 2008, 10:51 am

In the end... Who is Iceman and mikoto's child? How come the ring she recieved was given to eruru ?

Iceman and Mikoto child? unknown ... good chances of being dead since the child was a baby and he turned everyone into red slimes, except for Mitsumi that never says she did anything about and of course they already killed Mikoto with him being next.

What about the ring?
And it's only a coincidence eruru looks alike mikoto?

*Diy found Witsarnamitea, Witsarnamitea enters a contract with Diy, "Diy" starts the conflicts around so they can evolve, years pass and then Witsarnamitea enters a contract with Eruruw and game starts with her taking care of Hakuoro that is also Witsarnamitea.

So Diy found iceman(witsarnamitea), started a contract, and ...I don't quite understand but Diy got possessed, so a part of witsarnamitea went in him :s ? Didn't he split up earlier?
galvenize
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Drakron » February 23rd, 2008, 3:16 pm

-What about the ring?
And it's only a coincidence eruru looks alike mikoto?

Mikoto says before they was captured she thrown the ring/key away ... how Eruruw got it is not explained.

Also Eruruw looks like Mikoto because she is Mikoto reincarnation.

-So Diy found iceman(witsarnamitea), started a contract, and ...I don't quite understand but Diy got possessed, so a part of witsarnamitea went in him :s ? Didn't he split up earlier?

Well Diy was pushed into a contract, Witsarnamitea seems that it can be quite persuasive about that (remember the scientists?).

And yes one side of Witsarnamitea gone to him, the side that does evolution by "survival of the strongest" but seeing "Diy" speech it was not the first time that happened, Diy was simply one of many he taken over.

The dialog also says that is not the first time they fight each other but it also says that sometimes one side awakes and does its part and usually that both sides awake at the same time and when that happens they fight until one side wins that round ... Diy was not Witsarnamitea body (lacks the mask) so he could be destroyed but the Witsarnamitea side that possessed him would remain and eventually take another body.

That is why both sides had to merge in order for Witsarnamitea to be sealed.
Drakron
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby hahahahaaha » February 23rd, 2008, 6:25 pm

does anyone have any ideas why mutsumi ended up being so powerful (at least as i imagine, enough to seal the god whom she was created from), and when iceman goes on his killing spree when he finds out mikoto is dead, and he "wishes" that someone stops him, why does mutsumi grant that wish, saying "your wish is my wish". I cant really tell whether mutsumi is doing it out of illwill, or whatever lol. It just seems kinda random how at first iceman and mutsumi appears getting along rather well through their telepathic conversations, and then when they finally meet shes just like "ohh im gonna screw you over and seal youuu".

about the hscenes im just glad that:
1. short
2. they werent used to drive plots (almost all of them during what id call the "omake" scenes, when its just some random short story/event). Seriously, the whole "i need your mana" thing in FSN has got to be the worst precursor to an hscene.
hahahahaaha
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ayadew » February 23rd, 2008, 7:14 pm

hahahahaaha wrote:2. they werent used to drive plots (almost all of them during what id call the "omake" scenes, when its just some random short story/event). Seriously, the whole "i need your mana" thing in FSN has got to be the worst precursor to an hscene.

Well, at least it's better and more directly relevant to the story than the "I'm your servant so fuck me" thing that Karura and Touka goes on with.
And I'm glad they were short too, since they were meaningless. Goes faster to skip.

hahahahaaha wrote:first iceman and mutsumi appears getting along rather well through their telepathic conversations, and then when they finally meet shes just like "ohh im gonna screw you over and seal youuu".

I found that quite confusing also
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Drakron » February 23rd, 2008, 7:57 pm

Mutsumi was very close to Iceman/Witsarnamitea in terms of DNA (meaning she was almost as powerful as Witsarnamitea), all the other later specimens were far less since they were trying replicate human beings (I think the fact the baby always take the race of the mother is a good indication why they were still failures).

Of course even if Mutsami was close to Witsarnamitea powers it was still far away from being as powerful as him ... she could not kill him so she sealed him.

Also the game provides a few of hints that Mutsami loved Iceman more that a "daughter".

First, she had no problems in sexually assaulting him ... (red eyes, blood drinking).
Second, her saying "you chosen that girl over me" that was a reference to Iceman chosen to escape with Mikoto but leaving her behind (you can also play with the fact Eruruw was the reincarnation of Mikoto and was next to Hakuoro when she delivered that line).

Also as Witsarnamitea was grating "wishes" during the base rampage due to Iceman pain, so did Mutsami tried to grant "his wish" ... I think we can draw the conclusion Mutsami was acting more of a spurned women that anything else when she tried to kill him.

As for the H scenes ... I have to disagree with saying they do not drive the plot or present characterization.

If you remove the ... lets see what happens.

Karura: loses a lot of what makes her character (a women that does what she wants without much consideration to anyone else), also the Witsarnamitea's pact scene loses effect since it shows how much she is willing to go to help her brother.

"I Love Him" subplot is gone since you cannot join that with Karura personality without the sex scenes, that affects two important Karura scenes.

Kamyu(/Mutsami): The hint that shows how Mutsami seen Iceman is now lost, also takes away from "what the hell is wrong with Kamyu?" that depends on Mutsami being made present.

Yazuha: The baby subplot is cut and all that goes with it (and that includes several Oboro scenes that go right to the ending, also one of the "Dori and Gura moments" is lost since they carry Oboro back to his room).

That are strong elements of the game, you can make somewhat a case of the remaining scenes (but are you really going to cut Eruruw? also there is a timing to that scene) but the only ones that could be cut are Touka since it played for comedy ... of course that also affects the bit of the Karura/Touka relation (that plays off in the end) and cuts the naive aspect of Touka (since its pretty much the only one scenario that shows Touka being incredible naive) and Urto ... but doing that also cut a bit of what Urto wanted (and the only instance were Urto shows the fact she carried feelings for Hakuoro in a somewhat "clear as mud" since she seen him as her husband in her dream), not that those could not be rewritten but as they are they contribute for the game.
Drakron
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Kiraiya » February 26th, 2008, 4:25 am

I apologize for bringing the ero stuff up again but we are assuming that when kamyu's eyes turn red she becomes mutsumi correct? Ok working from that assumption why is the character of mutsumi thats in Hakuoro's bed so different from the one at the end?In the ero scene she seems to be some kind of sex deviant or something but near the end she seems to be a emotionless bitch basically for lack of a better word. It's just hard to see the connection bewtween these two and that was the part that really confused me personally. If anyone can give me an answer to that it would be much appreciated. I assume she drinks Hakuoro's blood because it is a form of subsistence for her, being a clone of Iceman. But that whole ero scene just, to me, seemed way too forced in there.
Kiraiya
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Drakron » February 26th, 2008, 6:08 am

Kiraiya wrote:I apologize for bringing the ero stuff up again but we are assuming that when kamyu's eyes turn red she becomes mutsumi correct?

Yes.

I do think its pretty much a fact since they made "red eyes Kamyu" act so different as Kamyu had no recollection of what happened during that time, they added a lot of moments so we get a fairly good idea something was up when she got red eyes.

As for being a "emotionless bitch" ... well she gets a lightsaber and since the color of the lighsaber beam is not red that means she is a Jedi, being emotionless is part of the Jedi package deal.

(Yes, I am taking a piss at that)

Alright, its somewhat true but the "emotionless bitch" was the one that said "you chose that girl over me" that HARDLY is emotionless ... sure she is "Diy" little helper back then but that just shows she seems hurt and simply taken one "father" over the "other" as somewhat of a revenge.
Drakron
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Adamantium » February 26th, 2008, 7:42 am

The game itself feels like it is incomplete. A good idea that they were rushed into finishing. You can see this when the game starts to really speed up in the end.

In my opinion if they had drawn it out a little bit more and made Hakuro's memories come back more gradually over certain situations I think this would be a very different game. The sex scenes could have been longer and have more emotional signifigance. But it seems like they got to a point where they needed it done and decided to put together everything they had to at least get it out there.

The battle system was nice but again it's like my explaination with the story. They put in a lot of good ideas, but ultimately it's pretty easy because things are so unbalanced.
Adamantium
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby X-Calibar » March 1st, 2008, 8:44 pm

Utawarerumono is far from perfect, but it's one of the best that I've played.
As with too many games parts that should/could have been told were cut short; huge wars happened in a blink of an eye, with only one or two battles.
The ero and its impact wasn't explored as far as it might have affected the various characters. The battles were only with the main characters, there was very little *real* outside interaction. We did not even have a feel for what the capital of Tuskur was like. The game has epic potential I think.
Maybe this is a bad comparison, but nearing the end of the game I was shouting Xenogears. The vastness of this story really IS epic. It's just told with very limited resources compared to the scale of classic *epic* 70 hour RPGs.
What they accomplished though, was creating a wonderful tale, that didn't leave me feeling cheated, or at a loss. A game that had me wanting to play it all the way through, which is saying a lot with all of the games I've played over the years.
I was in love with all of the characters, and every day to day scene was a treat. The art was great. The music fueled the emotion in the scenes very well. THE TRANSLATION ROCKED! [There are many corrections here and there I noticed along the way, but; except maybe something near the end [I felt some of the ending dialogue didn't properlly reflect how grave and how emotionally charged it really was. But, whoa; cheers Ryuusoul. love love]
The creators did a great job at adding layers of complexity, and hidden references all along the way, hinting at the grand scale to come.

They were able to tell the story of Utawarerumono, and they did that very well. [I could ask for a thousand other things I'd like as well, like a more complete story of Eruruw, of Touka, having choices to change the events that happened, or turning the game into a full blown Xenogears; complete with walking around town, seeing the sights; fighting and planning the wars.]
Utawarerumono to me is a short story of a longer novel. But, I won't be forgetting these characters for a long, long time.
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Previous

Return to Utawarerumono Chat