One thing that kinda annoys me about the translation...

Kemonomimi Discussion

Moderator: Staffers

One thing that kinda annoys me about the translation...

Unread postby shadow_Hiei » February 11th, 2008, 4:00 am

I can kinda see stuff like daimyo and nii-san, changing daimyo to "lord", "count", or whatever would be appropriate would be kinda like changing "emporer" to "king", and siblings always referring to each other as "brother" or "sister" in English sounds kinda odd, so stuff like that is alright as long as its not a dub.

But do they really have to leave words like "archer" untranslated? Its not like they're "the Japanese equivalent to an archer", they ARE archers, they use a bow and arrows, and that's what they'd refer to them as in English, too.
shadow_Hiei
Addict

Unread postby Ryuusoul » February 11th, 2008, 5:50 am

Words like periyerai, aperyu, and many other words with furigana/kanji over them are NOT Japanese words. They were made up words used in the world of Utawarerumono that Japanese wouldn't even be able to understand and had furigana over them in the original version. Some of these were modified versions of Japanese, Okinawan, or Ainu words; others were simply just made up.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Caineth » February 11th, 2008, 8:14 pm

the thing that annoyed me was that there was not auto read or skip function. I had to sit there during the ero scenes
The fast text style just didn't cut it.

Yeah yeah, I know, I am a weirdo.
Caineth
Addict

Unread postby Ryuusoul » February 11th, 2008, 8:30 pm

SURE, sure...

You can always hold down CTRL, I think. Not sure if this works for scenes you haven't read yet. Also later on, once you beat the game, you have the option of skipping story mode and just do battles (somewhat related to the topic).
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Henduluin » February 11th, 2008, 9:02 pm

CTRL speeds through parts you haven't written as well. At least, it did for me.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Cent » February 11th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Ctrl skips through everything on fast forward up to choices (where to go) and battle sequences. Pretty sure its supposed to do that.
Unfortunately, there's no right click -> skip to next choice like in Tsukihime.

However, on topic, I did notice that in some cases, words like Archer were used, but in others, there were untranslated versions. Small inconsistencies. I think the other case that came to mind was when Oboro was fighting Benawi for the first time, and his cape (untranslated as something else) had the translation above for one page, but not on the next. Not sure if that was intended.
Cent
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Caineth » February 12th, 2008, 7:48 pm

ctrl does indeed work like a charm, thanks much
Caineth
Addict

Unread postby Ryuusoul » February 13th, 2008, 5:48 am

Cent wrote:Ctrl skips through everything on fast forward up to choices (where to go) and battle sequences. Pretty sure its supposed to do that.
Unfortunately, there's no right click -> skip to next choice like in Tsukihime.

However, on topic, I did notice that in some cases, words like Archer were used, but in others, there were untranslated versions. Small inconsistencies. I think the other case that came to mind was when Oboro was fighting Benawi for the first time, and his cape (untranslated as something else) had the translation above for one page, but not on the next. Not sure if that was intended.

Most of the time, I provided those furigana translations when the term was used, but if it was used a lot later on, I stopped providing it. It was intentional (I was banking on your memory power here).
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby VoidAvesta » December 11th, 2008, 1:46 am

When Yuzuha tries to find a nickname for Oboro, and comes up with "boroboro" :lol: , there's no translation that says what it means..
VoidAvesta
Addict

Unread postby nobaka » December 11th, 2008, 3:53 am

Threadnomancy.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Return to Utawarerumono Chat