General game discussion

Kemonomimi Discussion

Moderator: Staffers

General game discussion

Unread postby KaioShin » February 10th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Since there are more or less only bug report threads so far, I think it's time to start a thread about the game itself.

So far I'm loving it. Sometimes the plot gets dragged long by too many slice of life episodes a bit, but if the plot is going forward, it's going good.

I have one question about the gameplay. What does the Tech stat do? It costs a lot of points to upgrade, but I haven't figured out it's purpose yet.
KaioShin
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ryuusoul » February 10th, 2008, 6:57 pm

It increases the amount of times you can attack. Time the attack by whenever the opponent flashes yellow after being struck. For more questions like this, go to "Training" from the main menu to access the tutorials. It explains the whole battle system nicely.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby KaioShin » February 10th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Oh, I should have guessed that. I only really noticed the training option after I got through the first battles already. They were so simple I thought there wasn't a need for a training anymore ;) That tech stat is really nice then... makes Touka much more useful than I thought she was.
KaioShin
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Henduluin » February 10th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Great game, if not a tad too linear for my tastes. At least in comparison to other VNs. (So far, choosing where to go during the day doesn't really seem to influence anything. Maybe at the end)

Battle system is nice. Simple, but not overly so.
As for tech, aside from what Ryuusoul mentioned, it is also the only way to use characters' special attacks, since those can only be used at the end of a combo chain. These pack quite the punch, so it's well worth investing in. Combos also lower oponents' vit, which keeps them from using their specials, which is good.
Only thing I haven't quite figured out yet is how to get vit yourself. Most likely it's the same as in Etrian Odyssey where you raise it by simply doing stuff or taking hits. Not 100% sure though.

As for the plot, there's not really much to say if you've seen the anime, since the anime apparently followed it faithfully. At least so far (I just got that ferret thingy for Aruruu).
Personally, I like the slice-of-life scenes as it keeps the story for becoming too emo.

Lastly, thank god the H-scenes aren't 50 pages long and describe every aspect in tiny details. I don't mind H-scenes in the least, but Tsukihime and FSN's were just awkward.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby pchunter » February 10th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Henduluin wrote:Lastly, thank god the H-scenes aren't 50 pages long and describe every aspect in tiny details. I don't mind H-scenes in the least, but Tsukihime and FSN's were just awkward.

LOL yea man, the last time i was playing F/sN my dad walked in the middle of a H-scene and i was like rapidly clicking to get it over but after like 3 minutes of rapid clicking it was still in the h-scene...

well did anyone finish the Utaware... game? how long did it take?
pchunter
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Henduluin » February 10th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Well, using the anime as a rough guideline, I'm at 60% or so, and I've been at it for... 10 or so hours now? Maybe 11, 12 tops. So somewhere between 20-30 hours I'm guessing, depending on your reading speed and how good you are at the battle thingy. (I read pretty damn fast)
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Ryuusoul » February 10th, 2008, 9:15 pm

You raise vitality by causing damage. When you have maxed our your tech number and your vitality is 100%, you can do a super move by comboing the max amount of times.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Henduluin » February 11th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Ok so, I just finished the game. I have two questions:

1 - What the HELL was up with that omake? >.>
2 - I'm missing the 2 very last CGs. Does anyone know how to get those?

Aside from that, great job guys. Another 20-25 hours well spent.

*edit*

Oh and, what exactly is that battle data thingy?

Lastly, one thing I realized as I was getting near the end: The game is one big incest fest... technically speaking <.<
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Ryuusoul » February 11th, 2008, 8:31 pm

After you clear the game on a hard mode, you can save your game and Battle Data will let you view your stats.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Mukuro » February 12th, 2008, 8:14 am

I got the second to last CG by finishing hard mode 1. Now how the hell do I get other titles (only got 2 so far and I don't really understand most of the hints).

P.S : What wrong with incest? lol j/k

P.S.S : Well they are technically his what, great great great great granddaughters? :roll:

Edit : Forgot to ask, is there any bonus in starting a new game again (besides skipping the story)? I will start a hard mode 3 playthrough later and while I don't really have any difficulties in hard 1, I can't just rush without thinking either. Soo I was wondering if we'll get even just a little bonus or something...
Last edited by Mukuro on February 12th, 2008, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mukuro
Addict

Unread postby Henduluin » February 12th, 2008, 8:38 am

Yes, they are :p Well, aside from Kamyu, who was basically in Mutsumi mode when she raped him... which is actually even worse since she was the closest thing to a clone of Hakuoro they managed to make.
That wasn't the only thing I was referring to though. The enhanced humans were created with Hakuoro's DNA, right? That would make the initial population (the ones that fled to the surface) all related to one another.

Ah, hard mode. Figures.
But, titles? What are you referring to?
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mukuro » February 12th, 2008, 10:25 am

Well, the same can be applied to humans...but let's just drop that.

Titles, from the battle data (maybe you only got battle data in hard mode?)
Mukuro
Addict

Unread postby KnightBaron » February 12th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Just finished the game in 2.5 days. Whoa! It's a very good experience. The story is just awesome. Thank you for your hard work!
too bad I just notice that there is a combo system right after finish the game (I've never wonder about what is training mode), lol.
KnightBaron
Totally hardly posted

Someone help me for God's sake

Unread postby Ephyon » February 13th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Is this damned mission even POSSIBLE at Hard 3? I've tried every possible formation I could think of, rushing the enemy, backing down, rushing the enemy with some and backing down with just him. Nothing works. I takes about four turns for Hakuoro's party to even reach the enemy general, and by then everyone else is already happily ganging up on Derihourai after cutting through the cannon fodder. Not even dream about getting Eruruw anywhere even remoteky near to him for healing or otherwise.
Ephyon
Might just like this board

Unread postby unluckyvampire » February 13th, 2008, 11:44 pm

wow you got pretty far in hard mode 3, I gave up after dying so many times on the 5th or 6th stage :(
unluckyvampire
Totally hardly posted

Re: Someone help me for God's sake

Unread postby Toboggan » February 14th, 2008, 1:31 am

Ephyon wrote:Is this damned mission even POSSIBLE at Hard 3? I've tried every possible formation I could think of, rushing the enemy, backing down, rushing the enemy with some and backing down with just him. Nothing works. I takes about four turns for Hakuoro's party to even reach the enemy general, and by then everyone else is already happily ganging up on Derihourai after cutting through the cannon fodder. Not even dream about getting Eruruw anywhere even remoteky near to him for healing or otherwise.

If I remember right, you retreat Derihourai's group as far back as possible, which will draw some of the opfor to Hakuoro's group.
Only way to win is to get Touka's supermove at the right time(s).
Just keep Deri holed up in the corner and cluster the cannon fodder to stop the archers from getting at him.
Toboggan
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Cent » February 14th, 2008, 1:51 am

I don't know, but I believe you can hold shift while selecting characters to battle, and that will allow you to send all of them in. Some of them get spawned invisibly though (some are just off screen).

It's weird. Dunno if its a bug.
Cent
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Mukuro » February 14th, 2008, 7:02 am

Ephyon wrote:Is this damned mission even POSSIBLE at Hard 3? I've tried every possible formation I could think of, rushing the enemy, backing down, rushing the enemy with some and backing down with just him. Nothing works. I takes about four turns for Hakuoro's party to even reach the enemy general, and by then everyone else is already happily ganging up on Derihourai after cutting through the cannon fodder. Not even dream about getting Eruruw anywhere even remoteky near to him for healing or otherwise.

Let Derihourai and his soldiers go as far back as possible. Hakuroro and the others should just rush through the enemy and use combos when necessary. Let deriourai's soldiers block the way in the corner and pay attention to their and the enemies' elements. You can let one enemy swordman break through to derihourai if you want (to let the soldiers hang on a little bit more) but not the one with earth element (kill them first). I finished the map with Derihourai in 1/4 health, 1 archer left and Aruruu died because I rushed her...
Mukuro
Addict

Unread postby KnightBaron » February 14th, 2008, 11:49 am

Mukuro wrote:I finished the map with Derihourai in 1/4 health, 1 archer left and Aruruu died because I rushed her...

Poor aruruw. How could you do that to her. :evil:
KnightBaron
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Somnium » February 14th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Hello. I finished up the game yesterday, and must say it was well worth the import cost. Played on hard 3, took around 15 hours. As for the final 2 CGs, I got the same Aruruw shot as everyone else seems to, and no harder difficulties were unlocked. If I had to guess I'd say the final shot is probably a reward for unlocking all of the battle titles, although the hints they give you for them are awfully vague. The one problem I had with the game was it seemed like some of the characters were a bit useless. Although I realize this might be entirely my fault for not upgrading them properly. Only 3 of my characters were able to survive a single attack in the last battle, however those 3 were all it really took to win it.
Somnium
Totally hardly posted

Next

Return to Utawarerumono Chat